GOP senator defends Jeb Bush's 'act of love' immigration comments

I agree with Jeb, and I applaud him for having the guts to say it.
On Politics
By Catalina Camia 1 hour ago

Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz. (Matt Hinshaw, AP)

A key Republican senator is siding with Jeb Bush, who angered some conservatives by saying some immigrants come to the United States illegally out of an “act of love” to help their families.

Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., said Monday on his Facebook page that Bush, a former Florida governor who is weighing a 2016 presidential race, spoke “humanely and unapologetically” about what motivates some immigrants.

Here’s what Flake had to say:

Truth is, I agree with Jeb, and I applaud him for having the guts to say it. Growing up here in Arizona, I’ve seen what motivates those who come here illegally. Sure, some come with the intent to do harm or simply to take advantage of our generosity. But many come to find work to feed their families. To lump everyone who crosses the border illegally into the same class is unfair and unproductive.

Bush’s “act of love” comments
were made earlier this month at an event marking the 25th anniversary of his father’s presidency. Among Bush’s critics: Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, who is also considering a White House bid. Cruz said “rule of law matters” and stressed that the United States needs to be a “nation that welcomes and celebrates legal immigrants.”

Flake is a member of the bipartisan group of eight senators who pushed the Senate’s comprehensive immigration bill, which includes a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants who are already in the United States. The Senate bill passed last year, but the House has yet to act on its own immigration measure.

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2014/...ve-jeff-flake/