Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: GOP secretaries of state raise alarm about non-citizen voting

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP secretaries of state raise alarm about non-citizen voting

02/12/15 03:51 PM

By Zachary Roth

WASHINGTON – A group of Republican state election officials took their campaign to raise the alarm about an alleged epidemic of non-citizen voting to Washington this week.

At a Beltway conference and in testimony on Capitol Hill, several GOP secretaries of state called for added safeguards to prevent voting by non-citizens, and said President Obama’s executive order on immigration will increase the threat.

“I’m concerned about it,” Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach said in an interview Wednesday while attending a conference held by the National Association of Secretaries of State. “It’s a very real problem of aliens registering to vote.”

In a letter sent late last month to Obama, Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted warned that the immigration order, which shields around 5 million undocumented immigrants from deportation, would worsen the problem by adding to the number of non-citizens who have driver’s licenses, which can then be used to register to vote. The White House has not responded to the letter.

Husted declined an interview request at the conference. But Kobach said he shares Husted’s concern.

“If you increase the population of people who are not U.S. citizens getting driver’s licenses, it necessarily follows that these errors that keep happening will increase as well,” said Kobach, a former Bush administration aide who, before running for elected office, played a prominent role in drafting and promoting some of the harshest state-based immigration laws.

On Thursday, both Kobach and Husted reinforced those concerns in testimony before a House committee.

“It is a certainty that the administration’s executive actions will result in a large number of additional aliens registering to vote throughout the country,” Kobach said in his opening statement. “In states like Kansas, we have been working hard to address the problem of aliens illegally voting in our elections. The administration’s actions have set us back in our efforts, increasing the risk of stolen elections and gravely undermining the rule of law.”

Kobach called the problem of non-citizens registering to vote “a massive one, nationwide.”

Husted’s testimony was more measured. He acknowledged that non-citizen voting is not a “systemic or widespread problem,” but nonetheless called on the federal government to share access to databases that would let state officials track non-citizens with social security numbers.

In his testimony, Maine Secretary of State Matt Dunlap, a Democrat, offered a different view, saying fears about non-citizen voting were “completely without basis.”

Indeed, voting by non-citizens is extremely rare. A 2013 investigation conducted by Husted’s office found that just 17 non-citizens voted in Ohio in 2012. That’s even though nearly 200,000 non-citizens in the state already have driver’s licenses, according to the state’s Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Obama’s immigration order is expected to affect around 25,000 people in the state.

One non-partisan expert last week, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told msnbc last week the issue is “much ado about nothing” and “political posturing.”

Still, Kobach said in the interview that the immigration order offers more ammunition for his position in a court case he’s currently pursuing against the federal government over whether he has the power to require that people show proof of citizenship when they register to vote. The Election Assistance Commission, a federal agency, argues that states can’t change the federal voter registration form to impose additional requirements. That form already requires people to attest, on penalty of perjury, that they are citizens.

During a presentation by the EAC commissioners at the conference Wednesday, Kobach asked them directly about the scope of their authority on the issue. And when all the secretaries of state were asked to name their top priorities for the year, Kobach said his was to prevail in the case and return control of voter registration process to the states.

There was plenty support for Kobach’s crusade from other Republicans. Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp, seated next to Kobach, asked the commissioners whether and when they might rule on the Kansan’s request (Georgia, too, wants to require proof of citizenship from those registering to vote.) Wyoming’s Ed Murray said he agreed with Kobach about the need for states to control the process. And Colorado’s Wayne Williams asked the commissioners whether the EAC should exist at all.

Separately, Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske said in a brief interview she’s “very confident” that her state will pass a voter ID law. Cegavske, a Republican and voter ID supporter, said three separate bills are currently being drafted.

Cegavske added that the lawmakers are looking to Indiana’s ID measure as a model, because it was upheld by the Supreme Court in 2008. That law is classified as “strict” by the National Conference of State Legislatures.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/gop-secre...citizen-voting

Obama amnesty creates loophole for illegal immigrants to vote in elections

Driver’s licenses, social security numbers facilitate improper registration, officials warn

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Thursday, February 12, 2015

President Obama's temporary deportation amnesty will make it easier for illegal immigrants to improperly register and vote in elections, state elections officials testified to Congress on Thursday, saying that the driver's licenses and Social Security numbers they will be granted create a major voting loophole.

While stressing that it remains illegal for noncitizens to vote, secretaries of state from Ohio and Kansas said they won't have the tools to sniff out illegal immigrants who register anyway, ignoring stiff penalties to fill out the registration forms that are easily available at shopping malls, motor vehicle bureaus and in curbside registration drives.

Anyone registering to vote attests that he or she is a citizen, but Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted said mass registration drives often aren't able to give due attention to that part, and so illegal immigrants will still get through.

Kansas Secretary of State Kris W. Kobach said even some motor vehicle bureau workers automatically ask customers if they want to register to vote, which some noncitizens in the past have cited as their reason for breaking the law to register.

"It's a guarantee it will happen," Mr. Kobach said.

Democrats disputed that it was an issue at all, saying Mr. Obama's new policy, which could apply to more than 4 million illegal immigrants, doesn't change anything in state or federal law.

Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia's nonvoting member of Congress, accused Republicans of an effort at voter suppression.

"The president's executive order gives immigrants the right to stay — immigrants who have been here for years, immigrants who have been working hard and whose labor we have needed," Ms. Norton said. "The Republicans may want to go down in history as the party who tried once again 100 years later to nullify the right to vote. Well, I am here to say they shall not succeed."

Rep. Stephen F. Lynch, Massachusetts Democrat, said he doubted illegal immigrants would risk running afoul of the law — which could get them deported — just to be an insignificant part of an election.

The hearing was the latest GOP effort to dent Mr. Obama's executive action, announced in November, which grants tentative legal status and work permits to as many as 4 million illegal immigrant parents whose children are either U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. The president also expanded a 2012 policy for so-called Dreamers, or illegal immigrants brought to the U.S. as children, granting them tentative legal status and work permits as well.

Republicans say there are a host of unintended consequences, including the chances of illegal voting, a perverse incentive created by Obamacare that would make newly legalized workers more attractive to some businesses than American workers and complications with the tax code.

The newly legalized workers can apply for back refunds from the IRS even for years when they didn't file their taxes, agency Commissioner John Koskinen told Congress on Wednesday.

Mr. Koskinen said the White House never spoke with him about potential consequences before Mr. Obama announced his policy changes. The secretaries of state who testified to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on Thursday said they too never heard from Mr. Obama ahead of time.

Mr. Husted has written the Obama administration asking for help in identifying the name and date of birth of all noncitizens who get Social Security numbers, which he said would allow states to go back and clear illegally registered voters from their rolls.

He said the administration hasn't responded.

"Why I wrote the letter is I want to comply with federal law," he said.

Matthew Dunlap, Maine's secretary of state, said he believed the laws already on the books are good enough to stop any voting mischief in his state, and he doubted illegal immigrants had incentive or intent to try to interfere with U.S. elections.

"My experience is they don't come here to vote, and they don't come here to drive. They come here for a better life," he said.

Mr. Kobach countered with a story about a legal permanent resident who had not yet become a citizen but who registered and voted nonetheless, and who said she wanted to support candidates who would help her earn citizenship faster.

Only four states require proof of citizenship before someone registers to vote, Mr. Kobach said. And even in those states, the federal government offers voter registration cards that don't require proof of citizenship, giving determined illegal immigrants a way to circumvent checks.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...mmigra/?page=1
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is a huge problem, and any person who claims it's not, is just not thinking clearly.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    This is a huge problem, and any person who claims it's not, is just not thinking clearly.
    Yes it is, however most Democrats don't care because they know most illegals would vote for them.

Bamacrats are after the votes of those Undocumented Democrats. If the Demos can steal a couple of elections, so much the better.
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade

judy .
    this is all about obama this is his doing. as i see it every one in the( wh) has no back bone to stand up to obama
    the wh should enforced the immigration law

Quote Originally Posted by southBronx View Post
    judy .
    this is all about obama this is his doing. as i see it every one in the( wh) has no back bone to stand up to obama
    the wh should enforced the immigration law
    Absolutely, southBronx. This is the worst betrayal of a nation of citizens by its own government in the history of the world. It must stop and it must stop now.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Absolutely, southBronx. This is the worst betrayal of a nation of citizens by its own government in the history of the world. It must stop and it must stop now.

JUDY
    THE ONLY WAY THIS IS GOING TO STOP IS OBAMA GET OUT . IN MY BOOK THE WH HAS NO BACK BONE AT ALL . HE IS ONLY A MAN JUST LIKE ANY OTHER MAN . WHY HE IS THE PRESIDENT SO WHAT . I FOR ONE DON'T HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR HIM NOT AFTER WHAT HE DOING TO OUR COUNTRY & OUR MEN & LADY OVER SEA . & HE IS ALL FOR THE MEXICO & THE HELL WITH THE USA WHY THEY ARE WALKING ALL OVER THE USA & HIS JUST LOL . EVERY STATE SHOULD NOT LET THEM HAVE A DR LIC @ ALL .OUR SIGN'S ARE IN ENGLISH
    THEY HAVE OUR JOB'S THEY GET WELFAR FOOD STAMP YOU NAME IT THEY GET IT THE OTHER DAY THE HOSPITAL CALL FOR A BILL
    I TOLD THEM WHEN THE MEXICO PAY I WILL PAY . THEY DID NOT LIKE THAT THEY SAID HOW DO YOU THAT I SAID WE DO LISTEN TO THE NEW'S & WE READ ON WHAT GOING ON
    JUDY YOU ARE VERY GOOD AT WHAT YOUR DOING KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
    SOUTHBX

Kansas Secretary of State: Illegal Aliens Registering to Vote is a Massive Problem Nationwide

Katie Pavlich | Feb 13, 2015

During a House Oversight Committee hearing Thursday, Secretaries of State Kris Kobach from Kansas and Jon Husted of Ohio warned that a loophole in President Obama's executive action on illegal immigration could lead to millions of non-citizens obtaining the ability to vote in U.S. elections.

"I want to bring to your attention my concern that the President’s recent Immigration Accountability Executive Actions will make it more difficult for elections officials to determine if all voters meet the primary standard for voting – U.S. citizenship. I am not here to debate immigration policy or the President’s executive actions. However, I am here to emphatically say that we cannot follow both the federal law and the executive action and ensure the integrity of the elections process without further assistance from Congress and the Obama administration," Husted said in prepared testimony. "For an estimated four to five million non-citizens, the President’s executive actions provide access to Social Security numbers and driver’s licenses. These are the same documents that federal law requires the states to recognize as valid forms of identification for voter registration. Under federal law, anyone with a valid Social Security number or driver’s license number can register to vote, provided they attest that they are a U.S. citizen. However, there is no way for us to validate this citizenship statement, since under the executive actions previously undocumented non-citizens will have access to the same documents as U.S. citizens. The issue becomes especially complicated in states like Ohio where millions of dollars are spent on third - party voter registration drives where no election official would be present to make clear the eligibility requirements for voting."

"Let me interject some perspective before I go further. It is not my belief that four to five million non- citizens are going to get on the voting rolls, nor is it my belief that third - party registration drive organizers are waiting to exploit a loophole in law. While I am committed to ensuring the security and integrity of elections in Ohio and throughout the country; it is important for us to recognize that people can sometimes sign documents – in this case a voter registration forms – without fully comprehending the rules and requirements," Husted continued. "Acknowledging that I do not expect this to be a systemic or widespread problem, we also cannot ignore that there are real electoral consequences. Presidential elections get the most attention, but every year there are thousands of state and local elections in Ohio, and in the last 15 months alone, 70 elections were decided by one vote or tie."

Husted sent a letter to President Obama in January asking for the ability to access up-to-date and accurate Social Security number information to ensure non-citizens are not voting and to prevent illegal voter registration.

"This would enable me and my counterparts in other states to prevent illegal registrations, and more importantly, reassure the public that steps have been taken to ensure only eligible voters are participating in federal, state and local elections," Husted said.

Kansas Secretary of State Kobach warned lawmakers about the threat illegal voting and registration from non-citizens poses to our electoral process.

"The problem of aliens registering to vote is a massive one, nationwide. And I have seen it firsthand in Kansas. Because there is no way of scanning a state's voter rolls and identifying which of the registered voters are aliens, determining the exact number of aliens on the voter rolls in virtually impossible. But we know that the number is significant, because specific election episodes present evident of aliens voting and because we gain some information by matching driver's license databases against voter rolls," Kobach testified. "Based on the empirical evidence that I have seen as the Kansas Secretary of State, it is a certainty that the Administration's executive actions will result sin a large number of additional aliens registering to vote throughout the country, in violation of state and federal law. These are irreversible consequences, because once an alien registers to vote, it is virtually impossible to detect him and remove him from the list of registered voters."

A Cooperative Congressional Election Study released in October 2014 found, "more than 14 percent of non-citizens in both the 2008 and 2010 samples indicated that they were registered to vote. Furthermore, some of these non-citizens voted. Our best guess, based upon extrapolations from the portion of the sample with a verified vote, is that 6.4 percent of non-citizens voted in 2008 and 2.2 percent of non-citizens voted in 2010."

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill have vowed to further look into this problem as they try to find ways to defund President Obama's executive amnesty.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...-vote-n1956644

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast