Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GOP senators reject Trump proposal to go 'nuclear' on wall

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP senators reject Trump proposal to go 'nuclear' on wall

GOP senators reject Trump proposal to go 'nuclear' on wall

BY JORDAIN CARNEY - 12/21/18 11:06 AM EST 914

Senate Republicans quickly rejected President Trump's push that they go "nuclear" and change Senate rules to eliminate the legislative filibuster in order to pass a funding bill with $5 billion for his wall on the Mexican border.

"I’ve long said that eliminating the legislative filibuster would be a mistake," said outgoing Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch(R-Utah) in a string of tweets explaining his position.

"It’s what’s prevented our country for decades from sliding toward liberalism. It’s inconvenient sometimes, but requiring compromise is in the interest of both parties in the long term," Hatch said.

Retiring GOP Sen. Jeff Flake (Ariz.) pledged that he wouldn't vote to nix the 60-vote filibuster in order to clear money for the border.

"The Senate filibuster is about the only mechanism left in Washington that brings the parties together. Deploying the nuclear option would blow that up. I will not vote to do it," Flake said.

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), who also is retiring early next month, said he would "continue to follow rules relative to legislation as they exist today as I finish my term."

And Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, added that he would also not vote to use the nuclear option.

“We have rules to follow. I want to put a stop to this practice of the Senate breaking its rules to change its rules. I will not vote to turn the Senate into a rule-breaking institution and I hope that my colleagues will not," said Alexander, who announced this week that he would retire at the end of the next Congress.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has repeatedly rejected Trump's request to nix the legislative filibuster, saying there aren't the votes in the Senate to do so.

"With the regard to the filibuster rule, as I've told him repeatedly, the votes aren't there to change it. They just aren't there," McConnell said at an event earlier this year, adding, "I simply disagree with the president about the harm that [the filibuster] does."

A spokesman for McConnell said that remains the leader's position.

"The Leader has said for years that the votes are not there in the Conference to use the nuclear option. Just this morning, several Senators put out statements confirming their opposition, and confirming that there is not a majority in the conference to go down that road," David Popp, a spokesman for McConnell, said in a statement.

Trump, reversing course to blame Democrats for a partial shutdown, publicly urged McConnell to use the nuclear in a tweet, adding that "our Country is counting on you!"

The demand comes as Congress has roughly 13 hours to prevent a partial government shutdown expected to begin Saturday.

Both sides remain far apart on funding for the border with no clear path on how to prevent a lapse in funding that would impact roughly 25 percent of the government. Republicans, including McConnell, went to the White House on Friday morning to talk with Trump.

The Senate passed a seven-week stopgap bill on Wednesday but Trump has said he will not sign the bill. House Republicans added $5.7 billion for the border as well as disaster recovery money to the legislation and kicked the shutdown fight back to the Senate.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...uclear-on-wall
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

NO AMNESTY

NO AMNESTY

MW
    As bad as I want the wall we were promised by Trump during his campaign, even I think going nuclear would have been a bad idea. Unfortunately, Republicans won't always have the majority in the U.S. Senate.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Congress has adjourned. The government will shut-down at midnight. Such a shame.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Congress has adjourned. The government will shut-down at midnight. Such a shame.
    Not that big a deal. Many of the employees are off for the next four days anyway and many of them take vacation this time of year. Besides that, you want to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs. Yep, you don't always walk away from a fight unscathed.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You sound like these idiots on the news. That's paid vacation, that's paid holidays. It's part of their checks they won't get until who knows when but it won't be on the 28th when they're expecting them. The money won't be in their accounts to cover automatic withdrawals for bill payments, mortgages and rent due on the first, car payments, utility bills, food, gas, activities, baby-sitters, day care, etc., etc., etc.

I guess you're on some easy life road now that causes you to be so oblivious to the reality of employees not receiving their paychecks on time. I don't even know how this is legal. Same with government contractors, vendors, suppliers, and so forth, they don't get their invoices paid, they can't pay their employees. No one can pay for their health insurance, neither the employee if they pay for it nor the employer if it's an employer-paid program. No one involved will be able to pay their property taxes due at the end of the year either.

The stock market was up this morning almost 230 points, then after it became obvious there was no deal and a shutdown was imminent, the stock market dropped almost 700 points, because well, Wall Street like our businessman President understands the costs and damage to people and businesses of a government shut-down. This means people lost a fortune in their 401Ks, too, which they might have been able to borrow money from on Monday to get them through the shut-down, but oh no, the money won't be there either.

The question is what is Trump going to do now, because he holds all the cards? The government shut-down he wanted to avert has now been imposed by Congress and no matter what anyone says, or who is responsible, he will take the blame for it, so ... he's already got the fail, he's already taking the hit, so will it all be for naught or some little pittance for wall funding? Oh, I don't think so, that's why he told everyone today, if it shuts down, it will be a long shut-down.

So tonight, Donald J Trump, President of the United States will be seriously drawing up his HUUGE list of demands to sign a bill. I mean that's what I'd be doing tonight if I were Donald J Trump, President of the United States.

But, we'll see.
    Last edited by Judy; 12-21-2018 at 11:03 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast