Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gov't won't stay deportation of migrant seeking refuge in Arizona church(update)

Published August 19, 2014
    EFE

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement refused to suspend the deportation order for an undocumented Mexican immigrant who sought refuge in an Arizona church almost two weeks ago.

Rosa Robles Loreto has remained in Tucson's Southside Presbyterian Church since Aug. 7 to evade a deportation order imposed after her immigration was discovered during a traffic stop.

"A sheriff stopped me and asked for my license. When I gave him my current Mexican one, he asked for my papers and I told him I didn't have any...and he called immigration," Robles told Efe.

She was detained at an immigration center for 60 days and after posting bail, went to contest her case in court - but her efforts were in vain and she received a letter ordering her to leave the country by Aug. 8.

"I'm here (in the church) because it's the only chance I have to keep them from separating me from my family," Robles said, who decided to stay in Southside Presbyterian as long a her husband and son continue with their normal life.

Her attorney, Margo Cowan, sent a plea to ICE asking that the deportation order be annulled; request denied. However, the agency said it had no plans to arrest Robles.

"After conducting a thorough review of Ms. Robles Loreto's immigration case, ICE has decided to exercise prosecutorial discretion by not taking immediate action on (her) removal order," the agency said in a statement.

"This case is a perfect example of a person who should not be deported," Cowan told Efe.

She said the response she received from ICE is similar to the one she originally received in the case of Daniel Ruiz, who was in Southside Presbyterian from May 13-June 9.

Ruiz finally received a suspension of his deportation order, which allowed him to obtain a work permit and remain in the country legally for one year.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...rizona-church/
    Last edited by Jean; 10-13-2015 at 02:53 PM.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Immigrant marks 14 months holed up in Arizona church

Published October 12, 2015EFE

After spending more than a year in a church here, undocumented Mexican Rosa Robles is the immigrant who has spent the most time holed up in a sanctuary to avoid deportation.

"We don't know of any other case where an immigrant has lasted this long in a sanctuary," EFE was told Monday by Margo Cowan, the attorney handling the case for Robles, who has been a year and two months hiding out in Tucson's Southside Presbyterian Church.

Cowan said she admires Robles' strength of character in standing firm with the support of her family and the community.

The attorney called the Mexican immigrant a victim of Washington's political chaos when it comes to immigration.

The only other person who has sought refuge for a year in a church was Elvira Arellano in Chicago, another undocumented Mexican immigrant who was deported in August 2007.

"We don't know how long Rosa can last, but we continue to fight and put on the pressure," the attorney said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has said that Robles can leave the church but will not be granted any permit for a temporary stay in the country, as has occurred in other cases of immigrants who sought sanctuary in Arizona.

Robles is consequently afraid of being detained and deported at any moment.

"The day I can leave the sanctuary I'd like to go personally to pick up my kids at school and tell them we can all go home together," Robles told EFE.

The undocumented immigrant has been hiding in the church since Aug. 7, 2014, as a last resort to avoid deportation.

The mother of two children was arrested by police in 2010 for not having a driver's license and was handed over to ICE, which led to the illegal immigration case against her.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...rizona-church/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    "The day I can leave the sanctuary I'd like to go personally to pick up my kids at school and tell them we can all go home together," Robles told EFE.
    You can all go back home together ......... BACK TO MEXICO!

Ice needs to round up the family and deport them as a unit. If the children were born here, they have the option of returning when they reach adulthood.

This is a great example of why the little (very little) interior enforcement we're getting now is wrong minded! When a single illegal is caught it should be mandatory for ICE to find out if that individual is part of a family unit. If so, all adult illegals and any children, legal or otherwise, should be deported. If legal the children can return, by law, when they reach adulthood. Deporting just one member of a family unit just gives the deportee a reason to come right back. Deport the entire family and it would be much more difficult to return.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They all need to be deported. The church needs to be fined, it's tax status revoked, and officials charged with aiding, abetting and harboring illegal aliens. A church in the United States is not a sovereign entity, it and its officials are still subject to all laws and violating those laws means prosecution and loss of privileges. Churches are not above the law or exempt from the law. Neither are church officials.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy