Group calls for police protocol on immigrants

By Greg Yee gyee@daily-times.com
Updated: 09/18/2012 10:23:52 PM MDT

FARMINGTON — The Citizen Police Advisory Committee heard a presentation from Somos un Pueblo Unido, a Santa Fe-based immigrants' rights group.

The presentation called for a clear protocol on when Farmington Police Officers would ask for an individual's immigration status and on when they would call for the assistance of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, agents.

"I think that the immigrant community is very concerned about the lack of clarity," said Elsa Lopez, of Somos un Pueblo Unido. "We want a clear policy on when immigration status will be asked about."

Farmington Police Chief Kyle Westall believes his department's policy is clear, but is willing to change some of the wording if necessary after a review.

"I want to reassure citizens that they have no fear in contacting us if they're not committing criminal acts," said Farmington Police Chief Kyle Westall. "I am concerned (about these allegations), but at the same time, I have to balance this against the needs of the community and prevent crime from occurring."

Westall said that he invited ICE agents to the Farmington area to assist in combating drug trafficking.

According to ICE deportation records Westall provided during Tuesday evening's meeting, agents deported 69 criminal illegal immigrants from San Juan County as of Aug. 14. Among the crimes committed were assault with a deadly weapon, domestic violence, driving while intoxicated and criminal sexual penetration of a minor.

"I certainly think that these crimes provide an appropriate need for deportation," he said.

Capt. Keith McPheeters reviewed department procedure for all drunken driving checkpoints. Every driver is stopped, asked for driver's license, registration and proof of insurance and asked if they consumed alcohol that evening. If a driver is unable to produce documents, or has been drinking, they are moved to a secondary staging area for further investigation.

Both complaints originated from a checkpoint on Browning Parkway on April 13, said internal affairs investigator Sgt. Joshua Laino. Seven Farmington Police Officers were stationed with three San Juan County Sheriff's Deputies. State Police set up an independent checkpoint across the street.

The department, however, has not been able to conduct follow-up interviews because one of the complaints was filed anonymously.

A man named Manuel Marentes filed the second complaint. However, police have not been able to contact him for a follow-up interview. As a result, Laino cannot determine if police contacted either of the two people.

"We have nothing to follow up on," Laino said. "No clarifying questions can be asked without someone to ask them to."

Group calls for police protocol on immigrants - Farmington Daily Times