Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Harry Reid threatens filibuster on immigration

Reid Threatens Filibuster on Immigration
    Mar 22 9:52 PM US/Eastern
    Email this story

By ELLIOT SPAGAT
    Associated Press Writer

SAN DIEGO

As the Senate prepares to tackle the most sweeping immigration reforms in years, a top Democrat vowed Wednesday to do everything in his power, including filibuster, to thwart Majority Leader Bill Frist's proposed overhaul.

Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he would "use every procedural means at my disposal" to prevent Frist from bypassing the Judiciary Committee. Frist, R-Tenn., has made clear the Senate will take up his proposal next week if the 18-member committee fails to complete a broader bill.

"If Leader Frist brings a bill to the floor that does not have the approval of the Judiciary Committee, it will not get out of the Senate," Reid told reporters at the San Ysidro border crossing, a few steps from Tijuana, Mexico.

Bob Stevenson, a spokesman for Frist, did not immediately respond to a call Wednesday evening.

Reid said the overhaul must include heightened border enforcement, a "guest worker" program and a "path to citizenship" for the estimated 11 million people in the United States illegally. He called legislation by Sens. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and John McCain, R- Ariz., a "good place to start."

President Bush, in a State of the Union address two years ago, urged Congress to create a worker program under which participants could gain legal status for a specific time and then be required to return home. It would not provide an automatic path to citizenship.

Frist unveiled a bill last week that sidesteps the question of temporary work permits. It would tighten borders, punish employers who hire illegal immigrants and provide more visas.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

You would think that this story would be all over the news, but I have seen nothing about it! However, I turned over to Univision last night, and even though I understand very little Spanish, they were talking about wanting citizenship in America and talking about the immigration reform bill. It seems that any talk about illegals on TV is left up to Lou Dobbs, the local channels won't even mention the fact that someone is illegal, even after they have commited an awful crime! I bet Lou talks about Reid's stupid idea on his show tonight! Thank goodness we have LOU!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Well, now we know where the Democrats stand on this issue. What happened to the Party that stood for the average American working man? Now they apparently stand for the average alien criminal.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

I think it's time we give Harry Reid a taste of our medicine. He needs to feel the wrath of the American people!
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

What did I say? Support the Republican party. Democrats are bent on legalizing the Mexican criminals.
    Individualism leads to anarchism. A collective society has more to offer than an isolationist/individualist one.

I'm not even sure if we should "waste our time" on Harry Reid. Push the Republicans. They are our best hope with the exception of those who are known to have traitorous tendencies. We know who they are. Let Harry Reid dry up like an aging lemon. Unless Willliam and others think otherwise, I wouldn't waste the time of day on him. We'll see what everybody thinks.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote:
    Reid said the overhaul must include heightened border enforcement, a "guest worker" program and a "path to citizenship" for the estimated 11 million people in the United States illegally. He called legislation by Sens. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and John McCain, R- Ariz., a "good place to start."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why does everything have to come with a 'guest'worker' program. and a path to citizenship?
    This isnt going to happenif Americans have any say in this outrageuous bill. We dont want them we dont need them, and they are a harship for all of us. We have to stand strong, be firm, and say NO, AND NOT ACCEPTABLE!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Democrats are bent on legalizing the Mexican criminals
    John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Arlen Specter, Pete Domenici, Sam Brownback, Chuck Haegle, Oren Hatch, President Bush, need I mention more?

I've already sent an email to Senator Reid, he's just as susceptable to pressure as the Republican Seantors in favor of amnesty. This is not a Democrat/Republican issue, it's an American issue.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer
    What did I say? Support the Republican party. Democrats are bent on legalizing the Mexican criminals.
    Dude, both parties are guilty of this, open up your eyes.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by WavTek
    Democrats are bent on legalizing the Mexican criminals
    John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Arlen Specter, Pete Domenici, Sam Brownback, Chuck Haegle, Oren Hatch, President Bush, need I mention more?

I've already sent an email to Senator Reid, he's just as susceptable to pressure as the Republican Seantors in favor of amnesty. This is not a Democrat/Republican issue, it's an American issue.
    I am a Republican, but I email both parties. Thinking that if one party or the other thinks they will lose votes from us, they will change their thinking.....

Yes it's an American issue, and why our OWN government is against the American worker and family, and for foreigners, leaves one to wonder if we have any representation at all.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast