Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hickory NC Rally Story

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hickory NC Rally Story

We will have pics posted later! It went very well! With JP's help, we will have pics posted later. Follow the link to see the front page picture!
    http://www.hickoryrecord.com/servlet/Sa ... 7835902521
    'Not a race issue'
    Opponents of illegal immigration protest outside Hickory City Hall, demand enforcement of laws

BY JENNIFER MENSTER
    Record Staff Writer
    Sunday, May 7, 2006

Give your opinion on this story

Barry Reid, 41, a carpenter from Granite Falls protests illegal immigration in front of the Hickory City Hall Saturday afternoon.
    Nathan W. Armes (Record Photographer)

HICKORY -- They put their demands on poster boards and chanted on the sidewalk.

Protesters of illegal immigration want the government to enforce laws against illegal aliens. They want no amnesty. They want no worker programs. They want to see passage of House Bill HR4437, which increases border security and detainment of illegal aliens.

More than 40 people, of all ages and from across many counties, showed up Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. outside Hickory City Hall.

Many wore American flags and chanted, “No amnesty” and “Illegals go home.” Signs read “End illegal immigration. Enforce laws” and “The American Dream is for legal immigration.”

Many of the protesters say they do not have a problem with immigrants who come to America legally.

“Half my family is Spanish descent, but they are legal,” said Conover resident Richard McNabb. “Illegal is illegal. What don’t you understand about illegal?”

McNabb came out to show his interest in the problem. His home is originally Los Angeles, and he says he’s seen what happens when a city is overrun with illegal immigrants.

Many of the concerns that opponents of illegal immigrants have are an increase in violence and disease, taking American jobs, obtaining driver’s licenses without citizenship and not paying taxes.

“We want to see borders closed,” said Tena Austin of Conover. “We want to see illegals deported.”

Jeanne Reid, of Rhodhiss, got active in illegal immigration opposition after Sept. 11, 2001. She says with thousands of illegal immigrants crossing the borders every day, it would be easy for terrorists to come to America.

“It’s not a race issue, but an illegal issue,” she said. “It’s about national security. It’s about jobs and our economy.”

Reid said she’d like to see House Bill HR4437 passed. She’d also like to see the government enforce immigration laws at the border and then later deal with illegals already in the country.

One of the reasons Mark Moore, of Hildebran, came out was for the children. He brought his 11- and 6-year-old sons with him to the protest. He’s afraid lawmakers are more concerned about sending children of illegal aliens to college than American students.

“We’re just going to pay more and more if the government doesn’t do something about (illegal immigrants),” Moore said. “They act like they can’t do anything about it. The law is the law. They can enforce our laws.”

Wayne Jones, of Burke County, was disappointed more people didn’t show up Saturday.

During Monday’s “Day Without Immigrants” protest in Hickory, more than 300 people protested in hopes of influencing Congress to help give citizenship to 11 million undocumented immigrants. Across the Catawba Valley region, at least half a dozen businesses closed their doors. Immigrants also boycotted American companies.

That upset some protesters Saturday.

“They protested the whole day,” Jones said. “Don’t they know that hurts my economy? They want to be in America so bad, but they disrespect my flag and they change the words to the national anthem. How dare they.”

Ron King, who helped organize the event, said he was pleased with the day’s protest. He hopes lawmakers get the message.

jmenster@hickoryrecord.com | 322-4510 x5409 or 304-6916
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

This is great coverage guys. It's really good to see a reporter quoting citizens for a change instead of illegals.
    THANK YOU!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They put their demands on poster boards and chanted on the sidewalk
    good article.

America should take notice -- citizens are using "poster board" for signs but these illegals have professionally printed signs -- clearly there is BIG MONEY with a BIG AGENDA behind these illegals.
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Yes, it was GREAT coverage and the reporters treated us with respect. They reported the story fairly. The headline is "Not A Race Issue", which is definitely the truth. Thumbs up to these guys and gals. I am sending a thank you email to them right now!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Great Article. Thanks for posting it Rebel.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    great Article. Thanks for posting it Rebel.
    Thank you, JP! I could not have helped make this rally happen without you and your brilliant mind! You deserve all the credit! I think the rally was a huge sucess and I have already gotten 4 calls this morning from people who want to know when the next rally will happen and asking for numbers to contact the senators and congressmen about this issue! More and more Americans are waking up, HOORAY!!!!!!!!

We should all thank JENNIFER MENSTER for the time and effort she put in reporting this story. She spent time talking to people and asking questions and did not make assumptions about why we were there and what we were about.

Very impressive journalism.

Pictures

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-25976.html
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I want to make note that before attempting this rally----myself, rebellady1964 and another person she knew tried to join what was supposed to be an anti-illegal immigration protest in Winston-Salem and/or Raleigh on May 5 and/or 6. This was being done through that website www.illegalimmigrantprotest.com that I was directed to from www.americanpatrol.com, as well Alipac also showed the site.

The e-mail contacts were : meria@illegalimmigrantprotest.com
    larry@illegalimmigrantprotest.com

We e-mailed the contact for those protests several times and did not get one response back. This site is likely a dummy website by the opposition and should be avoided --- it is designed to have us expose ourselves and waiste our time thinking or trying there will be a protest.

I will be e-mailing this to american patrol as well.

I believe that site is a dummy, also. I emailed these people many times and never got a response at all.
    I am ready for another rally! My husband keeps getting people asking him when the next one's gonna be and I keep getting calls and emails asking me the same thing. I think our rally broke the ice here in western NC and the people saw that we have to make a stand in order to get this mess taken care of! I'm going to start making plans for another one. If you'd like to help, just PM me. I'm raring to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast