Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

'Hispanic Best Buy' to reinforce mall's Latino focus

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... o0904.html

'Hispanic Best Buy' to reinforce mall's Latino focus

Mel Meléndez
    The Arizona Republic
    Sept. 4, 2006 12:00 AM

Desert Sky Mall will soon be home to a Los Angeles-based department store that targets Latinos, a deal that mall executives say will reinforce the west Phoenix site's reputation as a premier multicultural shopping destination.

Often referred to as the "Hispanic Best Buy," the La Curacao department-store chain recently signed on to open its ninth store as early as spring. It joins Desert Sky's flagship stores Burlington Coat Factory, Dillard's, Mervyn's and Sears.

"We've been courting them for at least four years, and this is their first store outside of California," said Zeke Valenzuela, Desert Sky's general manager. "So this is big for them and for us." advertisement

La Curacao officials say the west Phoenix mall's Latino accent is a natural fit for its latest venture. The mall's clientele - about 72 percent of them Latinos - also appealed to the hard-goods retailer, which often sells products to immigrants here, who then export them to their relatives back home.

"We're extremely excited," said Michael Falkenstein, La Curacao's senior vice president of retail development. "We've had our eye on Arizona for a while because it's such a similar market. We already have growth plans in place to help us expand there and in other states as the Hispanic market continues to grow."

By the numbers

At 12.4 percent, Latinos are the nation's largest minority group, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. It's also the fastest-growing minority group, with economists predicting Latinos' purchasing power will reach $1 trillion by 2008.

In Arizona, Latinos will wield about $39 billion by 2010, about 62 percent more than in 2005, says the Selig Center for Economic Growth.

"So it's smart business to go after such a growing market," Falkenstein said, "but you also have to know how to meet those customers' needs to draw them in."

Retailers seem to be getting the message, as more mainstream malls - including ventures in Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Tulsa, Okla., and Fort Worth, Texas - now target Latinos with bilingual campaigns and specialized products and services.

Still, had mall executives attempted to woo La Curacao when Desert Sky opened in 1981, it likely would have failed, because the then-thriving mall served a predominantly Anglo clientele.

Changing demographics

A decade after the opening, the landscape had shifted, with Anglos accounting for about 24 percent of Desert Sky's clients.

In 2002, the Santa Monica, Calif.-based Macerich Co. bought Westcor, the Arizona mall developer that built the 892,000-square-foot retail venture. But competition from Arrowhead Mall, about 12 minutes north, and demographic shifts had taken their toll.

"It was evident that something needed to be done because we weren't attracting potential customers, which were now overwhelmingly Hispanic," Desert Sky's Valenzuela said.

First came a Spanish-language marketing blitz. Mall executives then headed to Mexico City and several border towns in Texas to study Latino retail trends.

"We learned that if we peppered our mall with some Latino-owned businesses from discount centers and strip malls, that we might be able to turn things around," Valenzuela said.

Latino flair

Today, a stroll through the bustling shopping mall shows bilingual signs, Spanish-speaking sales assistants and Latino-owned specialty shops. The mall's Latino-centric focus has boosted annual sales by 15 percent for the past three years, officials said.

"This push to attract Latino customers was the best thing this mall could've done," said Mia Terry, assistant manager of Desert Sky's Anchor Blue store.

West Valley Spanish-speakers from as far as Avondale and Tolleson now frequent the mall to shop, eat or to visit Cinema Latino, which features first-run Hollywood movies with Spanish subtitles.

Glendale residents Juan and Maria Placencia often shop there. Juan, a U.S. Postal Service letter carrier, recently met his wife for lunch at the multiethnic food court.

"We love this mall, because everybody speaks Spanish and we can get products from Mexico," said Juan, who emigrated from Guadalajara, Mexico.

Still, you don't have to be Hispanic to benefit from the mall's 115 stores - only 18 percent of the mall features Latino specialty shops, Valenzuela said.

"The goal was never to become a full-fledged Mexican mall, so anybody can do their general shopping here," he said.

"But if you want some popcorn with salsa on top, you can get that, too."

Reach the reporter at mel.melendez@arizonarepublic.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Okay, I'm feeling seriously depressed here. Are we actually going to stop this invasion?? If so, could somebody please give me some GOOD news for once?
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

With pandering like this from corporate America, do we really have a snowballs chance in hell here? This makes me so dam sick!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

It's also the fastest-growing minority group
    I'm so sick of hearing this. The only reason they are the "fastest-growing minority" is because they are the group with the most people illegally invading out country. Something I have yet to see in print!

And like you guys. I've been fighting this fight for years and I'm about ready for my third burnout. I sure would love to hear some good news to help keep me going.

Still, you don't have to be Hispanic to benefit from the mall's 115 stores - only 18 percent of the mall features Latino specialty shops, Valenzuela said.

"The goal was never to become a full-fledged Mexican mall, so anybody can do their general shopping here," he said.
    Gosh, that's mighty brown of you, Senior Valenzuela.

Are you sure about that, though?

We wouldn't want to make your prime customers uncomfortable with our gringo presence.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

MW
    I'm so sick of hearing this. The only reason they are the "fastest-growing minority" is because they are the group with the most people illegally invading out country. Something I have yet to see in print!
    Don't forget the tens of thousands of "anchor babies" being popped out annually.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    With pandering like this from corporate America, do we really have a snowballs chance in hell here? This makes me so dam sick!
    What we've got here is a cancer that's metastasizing, and I don't think there's a chance in the world of stopping it.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

CountFloyd wrote:
    What we've got here is a cancer that's metastasizing, and I don't think there's a chance in the world of stopping it.
    I'm starting to feel the same way. I want to stay positive...I'm REALLY trying, but...

I think we need a group hug.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

M,
    You are so right about the millions of anchor babies. I still haven't heard much from legislators about changing, or more to the point clarifing the 14th amendment so that it does not mean "just because you're born here you are automatically a citizen". No other nation in the world does this anymore. Legislation needs to be passed and soon and if I have my way it will be made retroactive to at least 1986. Why in the world would a country give incentive for people to come here illegally and breed like roaches? Like the whole illegal immigration stiuation it boggles the mind and makes one wonder what these guys are thinking. Or even better what are they getting under the table?