Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Hundreds March in Downtown Toledo for Immigrants' Rights

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... 34_22_17_3

Click Here to Watch Video

Hundreds March in Downtown Toledo for Immigrants' Rights

Oct 1, 2006 03:11 PM PDT

TOLEDO -- By a vote of 80 to 19, a bill sailed through Congress that would create a massive fence along the 700 miles that form the US-Mexico border. Supporters say the fence will help with illegal immigration and keep US tax dollars going to American citizens. But hundreds from Toledo and across the nation packed into downtown Toledo Saturday, protesting construction of that fence.

Protest was only half their message. They also marched in support of immigration rights. Organizer Baldemar Velasquez works for the union that helps migrant workers. He's hoping to change the way legislators think of his people. He said he wants "to educate the public about the disingenuous arguments used against immigrants," he said.

The heavily Spanish-speaking crowd let their voices be heard. One woman said, "I don't speak English." She told News 11 she's been here for just two months.

A non-Hispanic demonstrator told us he joined the rally because "no human being is illegal." He also said, "The idea that we would scapegoat immigrants and say that they are bringing down wages, that they are a security risk, is obviously just not true."

Velasquez said, "We're not here for a handout. We're here to work. I think it's good that people do this right. They think about us Mexicans and they do something for us."

President Bush is expected to sign the fence bill. In addition to the fence, the bill earmarks money for jails where illegal immigrants can be detained, and for 1,500 more border agents.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If they are not here for a handout, then why don't they pay out their hospital bills the same way I have to? Why don't they pay for their own babies to be delivered, I did?
    Build the dam fence post haste!