Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Hundreds in Phoenix march against Arizona immigration law

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hundreds in Phoenix march against Arizona immigration law

Tim Gaynor
    Reuters
    3:00 p.m. CDT, July 28, 2012

A man holds the U.S. flag, placed upside down as a sign of disrespect, during a protest against Senate Bill 1070 in Phoenix (Darryl Webb/Reuters / July 28, 2012)

PHOENIX (Reuters) - A few hundred protesters, some toting placards reading "Migration is a Human Right," marched in Phoenix on Saturday to protest Arizona's two-year-old crackdown on illegal immigration.

State law SB-1070, signed by Republican Governor Jan Brewer in April 2010, seeks to drive illegal immigrants out of Arizona.

A federal judge blocked parts of the law before it took effect, but the U.S. Supreme Court late last month upheld its most controversial provision requiring police to check the immigration status of people they stop if they suspect they are in the country illegally.

"I feel like we're singled out," said Angel Diaz, 33, an artist among 200 to 300 mostly Hispanic protesters rallying in a park ahead of the protest march.

"We're being racially profiled. Pretty much I feel that our rights are being taken from us," he added. He was wearing a Mexican wrestler's mask and a broad brimmed sombrero.

Diaz, a Hispanic who said he is a U.S. citizen, said he was followed and pulled over by police in the Phoenix valley a week ago in a traffic stop that did not result in charges.

Protesters, some chanting "this is what democracy looks like" and wearing T-shirts reading "We will not comply - Down with SB 1070," set off on the one-mile (1.6 kilometer) walk to the headquarters of federal immigration police in the city.

In a mixed ruling late last month, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the state law's most controversial measure - requiring police to check the immigration status of anyone detained and suspected of being in the country illegally - but struck down three other parts.

Supporters of the crackdown argue it is needed as the federal government has failed to secure the state's porous border with Mexico.

The administration of President Barack Obama opposed the law on the grounds it pre-empted federal powers on immigration, and opponents say it is a mandate for racially profiling Hispanics, who make up almost a third of the state's population.

March organizer Carlos Garcia said demonstrators seek to pressure the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, not to partner with local police forces that implement immigration laws.

"When a police officer can ask to determine if someone has documents or not, that's when racially profiling, racism (arises)" he said. "That's what we're opposed to."

The rally and march come as a hardline Arizona sheriff and his office are on trial in federal court in Phoenix in a civil lawsuit that accuses them of racial profiling.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who styles himself as "America's toughest sheriff," is accused of singling out Hispanic citizens and immigrants in traffic stops in the Phoenix valley, a charge he denies.

Natally Cruz, 24, a Mexican undocumented immigrant, was among four people arrested by police for blocking a road outside the U.S. District Court in Phoenix last Tuesday when Arpaio testified in court.

"We want to show Arpaio that we are not afraid of him," Cruz, who was quizzed by ICE agents about her immigration status but was released, told the protest crowd.

"Many of us have been living in fear for years ... Enough is enough," she said.

Hundreds in Phoenix march against Arizona immigration law - chicagotribune.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Many of us have been living in fear for years ... Enough is enough," she said.
    enough will be enough when you are back in your homeland!

Well
    if you don't like our law's get the hell no one told you to come over I happy that gov Jan did we don't
    see what going on in AZsure in hell we hav ethe same thing in NYC with the illegal
    immigrants not only Mexico it every other country . they look at us with that look you . own us
    The American don't own you not one cent . why Our Guy & girls are over sea fighting for us . & you do this
    BS go back home & put your flag up
    No Amnesty or dream act

working4change

"We're being racially profiled. Pretty much I feel that our rights are being taken from us," he added.
    If it wasn't for extremely high numbers of your race invading the country, this wouldn't be an issue.

"When a police officer can ask to determine if someone has documents or not, that's when racially profiling, racism (arises)" he said. "That's what we're opposed to."
    If you're not here illegally, you wouldn't be worried. We are asked for our ID's all the time for different reasons. What makes illegals so special and above the law? Stop whining.

"Many of us have been living in fear for years...enough is enough," she said
    You come here without a background or healthcheck, ignore our laws, bring in murderers, pedophiles, thieves and gang members. It is the American citizen who has had enough!!!!!!! We have had enough of your arrogance and blatant disrespect.

This is not a friendly invasion and this picture of a protesting illegal alien in demonic (Santa Muerte) costume disrespecting our American flag can be added to the mountains of proof next to millions of lost American jobs and tens of thousands of lost American lives!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why would I respect one who displays my nation's flag upside down? Why would I join his protest when he/she blatantly displays disdain for my nation and me? How/why does racism enter into the issue when disrespect for my nation and its laws have been so very obviously demonstrated? What does this attitude and action advocate? I know what I know, in 7 decades my personal physical address has been violated only twice - both times by aliens of his race. My son was killled - by an alien drunk of his race. HOWEVER, THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT MUST ACCEPT THE ULTIMATE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ALL THREE INCIDENTS MENTIONED! All three incidents very likely would not have occurred had goverment fulfilled its responsibility to honor and perform according to the laws that it created for the protection of AMERICAN citizens. i.e. controlled immigration and border protection. If flying the flag upside down is a right, does that right belong to the photographed alien or to families wronged by American government such as mine? America must prioritize and perform honorably!!

The American flag flown upside down is a sign of distress. I agree that we are in distress due to uncontrolled illegal immigration and a president that encourages an entire nation to jump the border and stand in welfare lines.

Upside Down Flag
    Flying the American flag upside down is an officially recognized signal of distress.

Here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
    Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Most individuals who have served in military service of our nation should recognize this signal.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay View Post
    The American flag flown upside down is a sign of distress. I agree that we are in distress due to uncontrolled illegal immigration and a president that encourages an entire nation to jump the border and stand in welfare lines.

Upside Down Flag
    Flying the American flag upside down is an officially recognized signal of distress.

Here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
    Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Most individuals who have served in military service of our nation should recognize this signal.
    Yes, an American flag upside down by Americans or American troops is a sign of distress indicating their position is in danger of being overrun.

An American flag upside down by an invading citizen or troop of another nations is an INSULT as this article correctly points out. The inverted American flag in the hands of an invader is a sign indicating that Americans are about to be overrun.

W

We need Carlos to straighten out the library here in town, they want me to prove who I am to get a library card!
    Dang racist's!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast