Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Illegal immigrant facing deportation offered sanctuary by Colorado church

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigrant facing deportation offered sanctuary by Colorado church

17 hrs ago

An illegal immigrant who came to the United States at 17, then was ticketed for deportation after being convicted of having a stolen or falsified ID, is hiding from the feds in a Colorado church -- the second house of worship to offer her 'sanctuary' from the law.

Ingrid Latorre addressed the media and the Unitarian Universalist Church of Boulder congregation at a news conference Saturday.

“Thank you so much for being here today for me,” Latorre said through an interpreter, reports the Daily Camera. “Thank you for opening the door for me and my family.”

Latorre, 33, had been taking sanctuary at a church in Fort Collins, but she told the assembled congregation and press that it was hard because her family lives in west Denver.

“Now, I can see them every day,” she said at the press conference, adding that the previous arrangement was particularly difficult for her oldest son, who goes to school in west Denver.

The group that first offered Latorre sanctuary, Mountain View Friends Meeting, said that she did not know the documents were stolen and they believe she was misled into a guilty plea by her previous legal representation.

“We believe she received ineffective counsel at that time, which has affected her negatively and unfairly,” David Poundstone, of Mountain View, told the Daily Camera.

Although Latorre’s attempt to get the conviction overturned failed, as did her request to have Colorado’s governor grant her a pardon, she has not given up and wants to stay in America.

“Now, my focus is really going to be on my case,” she said. “It's at a little bit of a standstill.”

The church voted to open its doors to immigrants seeking sanctuary in October. Most congregation members supported the decision -- but a preschool that had been leasing space from the church shut down last month, saying parents withdrew more than half of the students due to security concerns.

“It is a key part of our religious exercise,” Rev. Kelly Dignan told the Daily Camera. "When sanctuary is offered, there is no intent to hide a person's whereabouts. We are open and honest with the authorities regarding our activities and intentions and the fact that we feel we are performing our religious duty.”

Congregation member Steve Todd told the Daily Camera that he supports the church’s efforts.

"Our immigration system is a hot mess. We need to fix that. And if this can help [Latorre] personally, then that's a good thing,” Todd said. “If this can bring about some community awareness and can help inform public opinion about comprehensive immigration reform, then that is also a good thing."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/21...do-church.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jerk their 501 C 3 status and investigate them for money laundering. They're collecting drug money from the illegal aliens who work for the cartels.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Jerk their 501 C 3 status and investigate them for money laundering. They're collecting drug money from the illegal aliens who work for the cartels.
    Look, I don't agree with this either but why would you throw something out there like this since you have absolutely no proof that it's true? It's beyond me why you persist in attempting to give the impression that ever single illegal alien in the country works for the drug cartels when you know it's not true.

ICE needs to revise their policy and go in and get these folks. This is the third such case I've read about over the last couple weeks. No place should be off limits when it comes to enforcing the law.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Because I believe it. No rational church shuts down its own day care service for its members to harbor an illegal alien except for money. The only orgies paying for sanctuary for illegal aliens in the US are the drug cartels who profit from it.

MW
    Because I believe it. No rational church shuts down its own day care service for its members to harbor an illegal alien except for money. The only orgies paying for sanctuary for illegal aliens in the US are the drug cartels who profit from it.
    They harbor illegals because they think, based on their faith, it's the virtuous thing to do. Of course you, I and most other folks on here would disagree. Their actions have absolutely nothing to do with wanting to support the drug cartels.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So they find it virtuous to put the lives of their church members in jeopardy, close down the day care service that helps the children and families of their hard-working church members to violate US law by harboring an illegal alien fugitive running from the law.

LOL!!! Oooh boy.

MW
    So they find it virtuous to put the lives of their church members in jeopardy, close down the day care service that helps the children and families of their hard-working church members to violate US law by harboring an illegal alien fugitive running from the law.

LOL!!! Oooh boy.
    These folks don't necessarily think as you do, Judy. Furthermore, the day care service was eliminated after the illegal was taken in, not before. Elimination of the day care was a negative consequence of their action after the fact, not a decided plan made with their decision. Big difference.

Laugh all you want, but until you understand their thinking process, you'll never understand why they're doing what they are. I understand their thinking, but I don't agree with it. I'm also sure not every church member agreed with church leadership on this decision. It is my opinion that any church making a decision to harbor and shield illegals from law enforcement is making a very poor decision. However, making a bad decision does not mean you're in bed with the drug cartels.

Churches are not above the Law!

Send in ICE and deport these illegal aliens.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

No Subsidies For Sanctuaries!

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    They harbor illegals because they think, based on their faith, it's the virtuous thing to do. Of course you, I and most other folks on here would disagree. Their actions have absolutely nothing to do with wanting to support the drug cartels.
    They offer sanctuary to illegal aliens. I have said that if authorities know the illegal alien is there and that illegal alien is basically imprisoned there, they can provide that sanctuary at their expense. But they should lose any entitlement to tax exemption and any other discount afforded to supposed religious organizations. There should be no subsidies for any organization that aids those who are breaking our laws!

An illegal immigrant who came to the United States at 17

“Thank you so much for being here today for me,” Latorre said through an interpreter, reports the Daily Camera.

Latorre, 33, had been taking sanctuary at a church in Fort Collins
    Been here 16 years and still needs an interpreter. Pretty sad.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast