Video at the source link.
~~~

Story by Lauren Hills / CBS 12 News
Thursday, January 16 2014, 10:00 PM EST

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla -- Time and again, we see the naturalization ceremonies, and the happiness that comes after years of waiting to legally be an American citizen.

The opportunities are what drive many here, including illegal immigrants who risk everything and come over by boat.

Immigration attorney Richard Huber says the process to get in legally can take years, so many decide to bypass that and take a gamble with any of the United States' borders.

"Our borders are wide open, borders in Canada wide open, how many boats that we don't know of land, and just go into society, into communities," Huber said.

The Federation for American Immigration Reform puts estimates of illegal immigrants in Florida at more than 950,000.

And they cost Florida tax payers about 4 billion per year in everything from school to medical care. That translates to about $678 dollars for each Florida household.

"I've dealt with illegals myself and i can see the point, but I'd say go the proper route, it's easier than getting caught, " said Steve Olson who works in construction.

Huber says there's no easy solution to the immigration debate.

But added, "we should have better control of our borders, this from an immigration lawyer."

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-storie...id_12568.shtml