Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Illegal Immigrants Don't Want Drivers' Licenses. And This Entire Story Is Infuriating

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigrants Don't Want Drivers' Licenses. And This Entire Story Is Infuriating

Friday, 03/07/2014 - 07:38 am EST

Illegal Immigrants Don't Want Drivers' Licenses. And This Entire Story Is Infuriating.

Written by Mockarena,
    Chicks on the right

According to this, state officials in California recently held an informational hearing hosted by the Department of Motor Vehicles, to allow people to weigh in on the new law which will allow illegal immigrants to get drivers' licenses. And you know what happened? A bunch of illegal immigrants showed up to complain about it.

They're worried, you see, that drivers' licenses can be used to deport them. In many cases, in addition to being in the country illegally, they're also driving illegally, without a license.

When the law first passed, advocates for immigrants were all excited because it would ostensibly mean that people could commute without fear and there would be fewer uninsured drivers and fewer hit and run accidents. They didn't take into account that illegal immigrants would be afraid of being in trouble for being here illegally.

Whoops.

Let's face it - these are people who, in many instances, have done everything they could do to AVOID providing personal information about themselves to authorities. And now the CA law states that not only should they get licenses which will show their photos and other identifying information, they'll also be flagged as different somehow (to be determined.) However, the law also guarantees that the information will not be shared with other agencies of government, including Immigration and Customs.

But that isn't enough for some of the illegal immigrants. They are very mistrustful. Take Atalia Cervantes, mom of three, for example. She's lived in the US illegally for twenty years and drives every single day without a license. In fact, she drove over an hour to get to the hearing with her oldest daughter, just so she could complain about the law. She said, "Every time I buckle my seatbelt, I am afraid. It’s affecting my girls. My youngest girl said: ‘Mommy, why are you so afraid of the cops? Cops are for protecting us.’” She added, "If they write something on the back of the license that says it can't be used to deport me, then maybe I'll get one."

Wow. How cooperative of her. Hey - here's a thought, Atalia. RETURN TO YOUR HOME COUNTRY. Problem solved.

The sourcelink said, "A growing number of states across the country are beginning to face this same challenge of winning illegal immigrants’ trust. Last year, eight states joined New Mexico, Utah and Washington in extending special driving privileges."

Um - can someone explain to me why states NEED to win illegal immigrants' trust? Why do we give a crap if they trust states in a country they are ILLEGALLY LIVING IN? Why are we trying to win over illegal immigrants?

Now, I get that CA and other states want illegals to get licenses so that they have to take drivers' tests and get insurance and all of that. But I cannot fathom why folks are bending over backwards to accommodate these people. Instead of getting them licenses, focus on GETTING THEM BACK HOME.

Another chick, Andrea Guadarrama, who works as a housekeeper and is a grandmother of eight, lamented about being tagged differently. She said, "I’m concerned about the mark that will go on our licenses. We are already marked by our color and our names, and the police are against us.

If that's true, do you suppose it might have something to do with the fact that you are, oh I don't know, BREAKING THE FREAKING LAW?

Oh, and guess what? Obama says illegals shouldn't concern themselves with Obamacare sign-up information being reported to immigration either.

http://chicksontheright.com/posts/it...is-infuriating

California Driver’s License Program Hits an Unexpected Hurdle

By IAN LOVETTMARCH 4, 2014
    Photo

Members of the public lined up to ask questions about the new licenses at a community meeting hosted by the Department of Motor Vehicles in Bell, Calif.CreditPatrick T. Fallon for The New York Times

BELL, Calif. — The auditorium was packed. There were single mothers, day laborers, grandparents pushing infants in strollers and teenagers interpreting for parents. All of them faced a potentially life-changing prospect: Within a year, California will start offering driver’s licenses to immigrants who are living in the country illegally.

But one person after another stepped to the microphone and expressed fear that the licenses, far from helping them, could instead be used to deport them.

Last year, when California became the most populous state to pass a law permitting undocumented residents to obtain driver’s licenses, advocates for immigrant rights were thrilled, saying it would allow people to commute without fear while also decreasing rates of hit-and-run accidents and uninsured drivers on the roads. Now those advocates are confronting another formidable obstacle: the deep and longstanding mistrust of the American government among this population.

It turns out that persuading immigrants who have spent decades avoiding the authorities to willingly hand over their names, addresses and photographs to the government is no easy sell — particularly since the licenses will look different from regular ones, in ways that have yet to be determined.

A woman read a Spanish driving handbook while attending the meeting in Bell, Calif.CreditPatrick T. Fallon for The New York
    Times

“I believe this license process is not secure,” one woman, who declined to identify herself, told state officials at an informational hearing here hosted by the Department of Motor Vehicles. “Is this a trap?”

“It’s not a trap,” said Ricardo Lara, the state senator who represents this working-class city, where more than 40 percent of the population is foreign born. State law guaranteed that their information would not be shared with other government agencies, like Immigration and Customs Enforcement, he said, adding, “Your information is protected.”

California, home to an estimated 2.5 million immigrants living in the country illegally, has been busy fashioning itself as the most welcoming state for immigrants, passing measures designed to reduce deportations, offering in-state tuition to all residents, and more. But skepticism among this population has grown since President Obama took office, as deportations have hit record highs and efforts to reform immigration laws have stalled in Congress.

Combating this mistrust, Mr. Lara said in an interview, is “the most significant challenge” of getting unauthorized residents — many of whom are already behind the wheel without licenses — to take road tests and buy auto insurance.

“People are skeptical, and rightfully so,” Mr. Lara said. “These are people who have been living in the shadows, living in constant fear. We have to work hard to ensure we really protect these folks.”
    Atalia Cervantes, a mother of three who came here illegally from Mexico two decades ago, drives every day, despite her lack of a license.

“Every time I buckle my seatbelt, I am afraid,” said Ms. Cervantes, 30, who drove nearly an hour with her oldest daughter to voice her concerns at the hearing. “It’s affecting my girls. My youngest girl said: ‘Mommy, why are you so afraid of the cops? Cops are for protecting us.’ ”

Still, she was not sure if she would apply for a driver’s license. She worried that with it set to look different from those given to legal residents, it might lead rogue police officers to arrest people like her and call the immigration authorities, even though that is prohibited by law.

“If they write something on the back of the license that says it can’t be used to deport me, then maybe I’ll get one,” she said.

A growing number of states across the country are beginning to face this same challenge of winning illegal immigrants’ trust. Last year, eight states joined New Mexico, Utah and Washington in extending special driving privileges.

Nevada began issuing “driver authorization cards” to immigrants in the country illegally at the start of this year, with the goal of reducing the number of untested and uninsured drivers on the road.

Lines at Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles offices in January wrapped around corners. Through Feb. 10, more than 16,000 people had applied for driver authorization cards.

Despite the early rush of applicants, however, many immigrants were not convinced that the cards were safe, said David Fierro, a department spokesman.

Photo

A man held up his day labor identification card. CreditPatrick T. Fallon for The New York Times

“There is a high level of distrust,” Mr. Fierro said. “People were convinced that no matter what we were saying, once we had them in our system, we would pass their information on and someone would be there to round them up.”

“I don’t think that’s been completely dispelled,” he said. “Some are still waiting to see what happens with their friends who apply.”

Overcoming this distrust is essential to making sure the program works, Mr. Fierro said, since the point is to get unlicensed and uninsured drivers off the road. The state is optimistic: Nevada, with about 250,000 undocumented residents, hired 18 people to deal with the influx of immigrants seeking driving privileges.

California, home to about a quarter of all immigrants in the country illegally, is hoping for a much larger rush. State officials here expect 1.4 million people to apply for the licenses, and the California Department of Motor Vehicles will hire 1,000 new workers and open four temporary offices, which will serve only people seeking new licenses.

The agency has also been working with consulates to help people in California get identifying documents from their home countries, a requirement for anyone applying for a driver’s license; officials have not yet decided what documents will be accepted. Under the law, the state must begin issuing the licenses by next January.

Identification records can be expensive and difficult to obtain, especially for people who have not returned to their home countries in decades. Mr. Lara said he hoped the state would also accept less formal proofs of identification, like baptismal and marriage records from churches.

At the meeting here, many people came with identification cards from day laborers’ associations, immigration rights groups and other local groups they belonged to, hoping that would be enough.
    Critics argue that this approach would invite identity fraud. In New Mexico, which has issued driver’s licenses to unauthorized residents since 2003, state officials have complained about such fraud, prompting some Republicans to call for ending the program.

“It would be a sham for the state to represent that they’re actually able to verify identity looking at things like baptismal records or Sam’s Club cards,” said Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform in Washington. “This process is an exercise in providing documentation to people whose legitimate identities cannot be ascertained.”

Andrea Guadarrama, a housekeeper and grandmother of eight who lives in Los Angeles and attended the hearing here, said she worried about what the new licenses would look like.

“I’m concerned about the mark that will go on our licenses,” she said. “We are already marked by our color and our names, and the police are against us.”

Even so, Ms. Guadarrama said she planned to apply for a license as soon as she was able. For now, she takes the bus from her apartment downtown to work in Santa Monica, a ride that can take up to three hours.

She did not know how or where she would get the documents she needed to prove her identity — after 27 years in the United States, she said, she no longer has her birth certificate from Mexico — but said she would do whatever was necessary.

“Oh, my God. If I had a license, I could make more money, see my grandkids more,” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/us...+licenses&_r=1

There is no pleasing these people. They whine and demand that they get licenses and they whine when when they get them.

One lady was here illegally for 27 years???? In all that time, did she even try to go through the proper channels?

California is COMPLETELY, AND I MEAN COMPLETELY OVERRUN with illegal aliens.

They don't 'want.'

They DEMAND.

And what they are demanding is COMPLETE IMMUNITY for breaking state and federal laws by entering the country illegally, PLUS FULL CITIZENSHIP with FULL BENEFITS.

And here's one most politicians won't tell you. Mexican illegal aliens are going to push the gov to give them 'MINORITY HIRING STATUS.' What that means is that they will qualify for federal, state, and county jobs BEFORE US-born native Americans. You won't be hearing about this until AFTER AMNESTY is passed though. They're not stupid enough to demand it now, BEFORE they get amnesty.

In short: THEY WANT IT ALL, MOSTLY FOR FREE ...

Stunner… Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare – Obama Wants to Up That Number

Surprise, surprise; Census Bureau data reveals that most U.S. families headed by illegal immigrants use taxpayer-funded welfare programs on behalf of their American-born anchor babies. Even before the recession, immigrant households with children used welfare programs at consistently higher rates than natives, according to the extensive census data collected and analyzed by a nonpartisan Washington D.C. group dedicated to researching legal and illegal immigration in the U.S. The results, published this month in a lengthy report, are hardly surprising.Basically, the majority of households across the country benefiting from publicly-funded welfare programs are headed by immigrants, both legal and illegal. States where immigrant households with children have the highest welfare use rates are Arizona (62%), Texas, California and New York with 61% each and Pennsylvania(59%).The study focused on eight major welfare programs that cost the government $517 billion the year they were examined. They include Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for the disabled, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), a nutritional program known as Women, Infants and Children (WIC), food stamps, free/reduced school lunch, public housing and health insurance for the poor (Medicaid).Food assistance and Medicaid are the programs most commonly used by illegal immigrants, mainly on behalf of their American-born children who get automatic citizenship.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara View Post
    There is no pleasing these people. They whine and demand that they get licenses and they whine when when they get them.

One lady was here illegally for 27 years???? In all that time, did she even try to go through the proper channels?
    That would mean that she came in about 1987 and could have applied for multiple amnesties but didn't want to. She preferred to live here under the tax radar and have children.

OBAMNESTY HAS BROUGHT MEXICAN WEAPONS OF MOVING DESTRUCTION TO EVERY STATE AND COUNTY - Illegal aliens transforming Oregon's roads into deadly passages

Every week, there are reports from all over the country of illegal aliens, mostly from Mexico, maiming and killing people in automobile accidents. While many of the cases involve drunk driving, a great number of them were seemingly caused by simple incompetence or a lack of driving ability. Of course, as Mexican nationals make their way to the U.S., it is safe to assume that they bring their country’s dangerous driving habits with them.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post
    That would mean that she came in about 1987 and could have applied for multiple amnesties but didn't want to. She preferred to live here under the tax radar and have children.
    WELL THE USA SHOULD START DEMAND AS WELL DON'T FOR GET THIS IS OUR COUNTRY SO OPEN YOUR MOUTH JUST LIKE THEY ARE . WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO WHEN OBAMA GET OUT . AS I SAID BE FOR IF THEY CAME IN THE RIGHT WAY YES BUT THEY DID NOT COME IN THE RIGHT WAY & I DON'T (GO FOR THIS MY PARENTS I WAS ONLY 3 OR 4 WHEN CAME OVER . THAT
    ALL,BS YOUR PARENT'S NEW JUST WHAT THEY WERE DOING SO IN MY BOOK YOU & YOUR FAMILY ARE NOT A USA CITIZEN NO WAY DID YOU PASS THE TEST ? & SAY TEST READ & MANY OTHER TEST AS WELL I DON'T THINK SO (SO DON'T COME OVER & DEMAND THIS & THAT OF WHAT YOU WANT IT DON'T WORK THAT WAY IT NOT ONLY MEXICO & ALL OF THE OTHER COUNTRY AS WELL OBAMA YOU HAVE TO GO SO WAKE UP USA & START TO DEMAND WHAT YOU WANT I WANT a job & our country BACK & OBAMA TO THE JOB HE SHOULD DO HELP OUR COUNTRY & STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE OTHER COUNTRY

Second article above added to Homepage with amended title--

http://www.alipac.us/content.php?r=2...Is-Infuriating
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)