Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Illegal Immigration: The Cost to Build Wall on U.S.-Mexico Border

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigration: The Cost to Build Wall on U.S.-Mexico Border

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 10:30 PM

By: Tim Hrenchir

Completing construction of a “Great Wall of Mexico” to discourage illegal immigration along the southern border of the United States would cost billions of dollars, though experts disagree on how many.

Calls to resume previously discontinued efforts to build the border fence intensified in 2014 after a $3.7 billion emergency funding request to address illegal immigration problems “did not include much in the way of border security,” Fox News reported. Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-Okla.) pushed for the enforcement of the Secure Fence Act of 2006, a law signed by then-President George W. Bush that “authorized hundreds of miles of fence construction along the southern border, in addition to more checkpoints, cameras, vehicle barriers and lighting to catch people.”

The federal government, starting in the 1990s, built one section of such a fence — which was double-layer and triple-layer — near San Diego. Then between the passage of the 2006 law and January 2013 the government put up 651 miles of mostly single-layer fencing along the border, Fox News reported. The Washington Office on Latin America said completing the fence would require additional funding totaling more than $4.1 billion.

A Government Accountability Report showed the U.S. spent $2.4 billion to put up fencing approved under the Secure Fence Act along the nearly 2,000-mile border between the U.S. and Mexico, Bloomberg reported. It added: “And that's just the wall. A Bloomberg Government analysis in 2013 estimated what it would cost to completely seal the border: $28 billion per year.”

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump weighed in on the topic during an August 2015 appearance on Fox News. Bloomberg reported Trump estimated completing the wall would mean enclosing roughly 1,000 miles.

“Using the previous costs as a benchmark, and without adjusting for inflation, that would put the total price tag for completion at $3.58 billion,” Bloomberg said.

A 2013 NBC News report said only that completion of the fence would come at a “mammoth and unpredictable price tag, judging by past efforts.” The report concluded that if construction of the fence were completed, “The cost-effectiveness may not be clear until after the last fence post is driven into the ground.”

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/.../01/id/673114/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

There you go - Saving an American lives is not worth a few billion. But we spent one trillion in Iraq and still are not done disrupting Iraqis. American politics are even difficult for this American to get a grip on.

I agree that the 'invasion' of Iraq was an awful miscalculation. Being a union member I know that both Dems and Reps supported that---probably thinking it would be easy and then many of them would qualify eventually for long term benefits. Now the spillover such as destablization of surrounding countries is swamping Europe with immigrants and refugees just as we in the US are swamped with Latin American illegals. Thanks a lot Geroge W. Bush and your Texas cronies. Looks like you might get the end of the world you were hoping for---or more likely the end of Western Cvivilization.

I know with our local liberal politicians they are going out of the way to pave the way for illegals. We blocked their state-issued drivers licenses and they are still swarming all over the place. They have no regard for conventional business law, they go back and forth between our two states working at their under the table enterprises, the small businesses actively seek them out----and the politicians actually treat then as they were the victims. I don't know why I ever followed the rules because it looks like they put the welcome mat out for those who don't. I'm totally p------d.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

WELL TRUMP SAID MEXICO WILL PAY FOR,IT OR DID YOU FOR GET WHAT SAID NO ONE LISTEN TO WHAT TRUMP SAID ABOUT OUR COUNTRY DID ANY OF GO TO THE BORDER i DON'T THINK SO
    IT CALL MANAGEMENT & HE THE GUY THAT CAN DO,IT I DON'T SEE ANY OF YOU DOING ANYTHING ABOUT OUR COUNTRY IS IN MESS ? THE DAY TRUMP SAID HE WAS GOING TO RUN
    THE SHIT HIT THE FAN . TRUMP GOING RUN . WELL HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOW ABOUT MONEY OBAMA DON'TCARE SHIT ABOUT MANAGEMENT ALL OBAMA DID WAS TO HAND OUT OUR MONEY & OUR GOV NEVER SAID ANYTHING. NOW TRUMP IS RIGHT IN EVERY THING HE SAID HE GOING TO DO .& NO ONE LIKE THAT TB WE WANT OUR COUNTRY BACK HE HELP THE VETS DID YOU OR OBAMA HELP THE VETS NO . TRUMP WANT ALLOF THE BAD ONE OUT . & WE DO HAVE BAD ONE COME TO THE BX & PA OR ANYOTHER CITY & SEE FOR YOU SELF WE ARE LOADED WITH ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS . THEY HAVE OUR JOB YOU NAME IT THEY HAVE IT
    THANK TO OBAMA & THE GOV
    SO IF YOU LISTEN TO TRUMP YOU ALL WILL. BE WELL OFF . FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN I WOULD NOT VOTE FOR ANY OF YOU .WHY YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL GOING ON
    GOOD LUCK TRUMP HELP GET OUR COUNTRY BACK &YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT WILL DO IT .