Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration, clerical authority among Pope's key issues

Pope's U.S. visit seen as pivotal
    Immigration, clerical authority among key issues, experts say

By Manya A. Brachear and Margaret Ramirez | Tribune reporters
    12:12 AM CDT, April 14, 2008
    Shortly after he sets foot on American soil this week, Pope Benedict XVI will strive to set a tone of compassion and reassurance for a church haunted by the sins of sexually abusive priests.

In Washington the pontiff will remind U.S. bishops of their mission to serve God by easing victims' pain and tending their flock. And in New York he will deliver a message of "trust and hope" to clergy in an effort to restore confidence in the church in his first visit to the United States as pope.

But some scholars think that whether the pope also addresses other key issues facing the U.S. church could determine how much his flock heeds what he has to say.

Though the sexual abuse scandal dominated headlines and damaged the church, it also underscored greater challenges that have been simmering for 40 years. These include an exodus of "cradle Catholics" and their replacement by waves of immigrants, dissent over church teachings on sexuality, and heated debates over clerical authority and lay leadership fueled by a crippling priest shortage.

"The way that the pope can connect is by speaking pastorally to a church that has gone through some very difficult times and is now trying to find its way again," said Robert Orsi, religion professor and chair in Catholic studies at Northwestern University.

There is no consensus about the best way forward. Some believe the pope should recognize that the church has entered an age when it must grant more power to the laity.

"If he has come to reimpose a model of clerical authority that sees priests as presiding over laypeople, that's going to be very harmful," Orsi said. "He will alienate American Catholics and they will not hear him again."

Others would welcome a stern lecture to bishops they believe let the church down by giving in to assimilation with modern American ideals and taking Vatican II reforms too far.

On his five-day visit to Washington and New York, Benedict will be balancing his roles as a world leader and as vicar of Christ for 1 billion Catholics, 67 million of whom reside in the U.S.

He will meet with President Bush, Catholic bishops and other religious leaders. He will urge educators gathered at The Catholic University of America to bolster their Catholic identity and share his vision of the priesthood at a rally for young people. He will call upon the UN General Assembly to foster a universal moral consensus, and he will pray at Ground Zero, the site of terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

"This is not just any foreign trip. This is his whole papacy in miniature," said John Allen, a Vatican analyst and author of two books on Benedict. "This is an opportunity to synthesize what he thinks are the key themes of his pontificate at a global level."

His desire for dialogue with other traditions will be on display at a meeting with Eastern and Western religious leaders of different faiths at the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center in Washington. The pope also will attend an ecumenical prayer service and visit a synagogue in New York.

But many American Catholics will be watching to see how well the pope understands the trends shaping the future of their church.

The president and vice president of U.S. bishops, Cardinal Francis George of Chicago and Bishop George Kicanas of Tucson, said Benedict will address Immigration during his tour. With anti-immigrant sentiment increasingly visible, U.S. bishops have lobbied forcefully for reform, riling some parishioners who aren't convinced their leaders are in the right.

"It would be fabulous if the pope were to take a stand as the [American] bishops have done, on behalf of immigrants, which is a very important issue for American Catholics," Orsi said.

A papal mention would indicate Benedict grasps the role immigrants play in shaping the mission and face of the U.S. church, Orsi said.

Studies show the nation's Catholic population has held steady by attracting converts and absorbing immigrants, most of them Hispanic. Now, almost one-third of U.S. Catholics are Latino. In the Chicago archdiocese, 44 percent of 2.3 million Catholics are Latino, and 149 of 363 parishes offer a mass in Spanish.

The influx of immigrants counterbalances an exodus of about 100,000 baptized Catholics each year, said Russell Shaw, an author and former communications director for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. The pope should invite lapsed Catholics back to the church, but curbing the decline will also require frank talk with church leadership, Shaw said.

"Let's skip the triumphalism and happy talk on this occasion," he said. "It's still possible to turn things around and bring American Catholicism back to a state of reasonable health. But in order to do that, you've got to acknowledge the existence of the problems that are really there."

Those seeking reform said one way to reinvigorate the church is to encourage laity who, amid the priest shortage, are fulfilling roles normally carried out by clergy. Some said a papal affirmation of lay ministry would be a hopeful sign.

University of Notre Dame history professor R. Scott Appleby said that in the last 40 years, the number of lay Catholics entering ministry studies and working in diocesan ministry is equal to the number of men entering seminary and the priesthood. That is also true in Chicago, where separate vocations directors oversee seminary recruitment and lay ministry, and equal numbers of men apply for both.

Though U.S. bishops issued a document three years ago affirming lay ministry, Rome has not followed up with its own affirmation, and many think the pope prefers to emphasize the priest's traditional role. One sign of this disconnect, they said, is that no lay Eucharistic ministers will distribute communion at the pope's U.S. masses, though laypeople will play other roles.

"The church has yet to fully endorse a theology of lay ministry that makes sense of lay ministry on its own terms, not just as assistants to the priests or a stopgap measure," Appleby said. "As a result . . . there's no viable career choice to be married and serve the church, which needs pastoral ministry now more than ever."

Rev. Richard Neuhaus, author and editor of the monthly journal First Things, said criticizing the limited participation of lay members at papal masses is absurd. He said people often forget the proper title is "extraordinary Eucharistic minister."

"This means in extraordinary situations where there simply aren't enough priests and the crowds are huge, then laypeople may assist in serving Holy Communion," he said.

Some scholars said U.S. bishops have lost clout because they ignored widespread disregard for church teachings—for example, some priests reprimanded people who used contraception, while others looked away.

Before 1968, the year Pope Paul VI reaffirmed the church's opposition to artificial contraception, fewer than 50 percent of Catholics said they practiced birth control. Today, more than 80 percent of U.S. Catholics admit to it.

"The birth-control issue is kind of a microcosm, [a] symbolic as well as a real threshold that was crossed, when the teaching authority of the pope and the bishops lost some of its clout, some of its authority. And the bishops have been reeling ever since," Appleby said.

Neuhaus said Benedict does not fault the flock but blames bishops who did not uphold doctrine.

"It's not the fault of someone who has never heard why contraception poses a moral problem," he said. "Here the bishops and priests of the church with notable exception sounded a very uncertain trumpet. As the prophets said, when you sound an uncertain trumpet, people don't rally to the cause."

Rev. Tom Reese, a Jesuit priest ousted from the helm of America, a weekly Catholic magazine run by the order, shortly after Benedict became pope, said silencing voices is not the answer. A 21st Century church must be willing to experiment, he said.

Can Benedict's visit possibly bring together such divergent views?

"People are going to come out in droves. They are going to be happy to see him; he's going to be well-received," said Reese, now a senior fellow at Georgetown University's Woodstock Theological Center. "At the same time, what will be the long-term impact is always the question."

mbrachear@tribune.com

maramirez@tribune.com

http://tinyurl.com/5m2tdp

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    I am a religeous person, but I think the Pope should stay out of American politics.

Quote Originally Posted by ourcountrynottheirs
    I am a religeous person, but I think the Pope should stay out of American politics.
    I'm a reformed Catholic and I agree.

My mom's family is LEGAL Irish Catholic immigrants.

I'm astounded at the views both the Popes seemed to have.
    It's like the dark ages to me.

The Catholic Charities is a huge reason for some problems here and another reason for our refugees and illegals.

I'm hopeful that there are laws now where they cannot police themselves.

In Maine they put a pedophile priest back in a church! They said they don't have enough priests? This is not a good start as to how things will go.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    I as well have left the Catholic church... it has become a sad excuse from days long past
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

left the church---

left the church---ditto- while not a weekly attendee, I lived by the rules I was taught as a youth. Now the church fails to live by the rules they taught me.

I no longer care what they have to say unless it is to help enforce the immigration laws. Send all the IAs to the Vatican@@@@

"It would be fabulous if the pope were to take a stand as the [American] bishops have done, on behalf of immigrants, which is a very important issue for American Catholics," Orsi said.
    Immigrants and ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS are two different subjects. I hope the Pope doesn't get involved in this issue. I am an ex-Catholic and IMO it will just cause alot more people to change their demoniations and worship at other churches.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Immigrants and ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS are two different subjects. I hope the Pope doesn't get involved in this issue. I am an ex-Catholic and IMO it will just cause alot more people to change their demoniations and worship at other churches.
    Wow, I really thought I might get blasted for my views. I felt as though since I was one, that I have a right to criticize. Why did my family sit and listen, every week, to someone who spoke in Latin? We don't know Latin..

My grandfather was an alter boy, enough said. He went on to molest EVERY girl within reach. 50 would be a low-ball amount. He went to confession EVERY day. He would jump off the rubbish truck, run in, come out and say, "You don't know how good that feels."???

My step-father was an alter boy, enough said. He lied when two priests came to look into accusations made against a Priest in Portland Maine. A 10 year old boy will obviously lie when asked in front of his mom. Would he want that to get out? Both died alcoholics that never got over it. Me and all my female cousins still live with it.

NOTHING will bring back all those lives destroyed............. especially a holier-than-thou attitude that is insinuated, by those who offended, and were sent off to New Mexico, for special counseling??? Only to molest all the little kids there too! How much is enough? I've reached my threshold. You would think the history, with that issue, and what was let happen to the Jews, that that religion would have a much needed overhaul. Just saying.......

Did you know that most Atheists were Catholic?
    Dick Morris

He will aleniate alot of American Catholics if he speaks in favor of illegal aliens in the US.

Illegal aliens will not be able to financially support the Catholic church, they take. When the money is gone, they will leave. The Catholic church and illegal aliens are masters at robbing parishoners of money, who will be left?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Luke 17:2 >>

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
    There's a hot place waiting for such offenders.

I hope the Pope stays out of the illegal alien issue too. We treat them humanly and send them home humanly. No human rights abuses against them here, but South of the border YES! That should be what he is concerned about. He should direct his anger at the multinational companies and elite in South America that deny their citizens a decent wage. It was not because of anything American did to cause them pain. Blame should be put in the right place and not in this country!

Illegal aliens will not be able to financially support the Catholic church, they take. When the money is gone, they will leave. The Catholic church and illegal aliens are masters at robbing parishoners of money, who will be left?
    Here in Maine, The Catholic Charities gave $30,000 to every refugee they brought here, or encouraged to come here. Then left the rest for our towns to take care of. They all bought big cars with the money???

Now the towns that accepted them are all fighting within. People are fired left and right, for things they say that are not racial but are twisted to become that way. There are people in jail for doing stupid crap that some will do but NOW it's a hate crime.

The educations the kids in those towns are getting is substandard, thank you NCLB. Those schools have footbaths, prayer rooms, are NOT allowed to serve ham and the kids cannot bring ham from home? Ah, the American way.............. NOT

Legalize the illegals and we will have more demands than they make now. Imagine if they get the title "American" how they will be. They won't have to learn our history, our language, our ways, be tested, assimilate or pledge our flag. This is NOT right. It didn't work when Reagan did it either. Look what we have now....
    Dick Morris