Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Immigration protest erupts in fisticuffs

http://www.thetimesonline.com

Immigration protest erupts in fisticuffs

PROTEST: Slurs, hot tempers highlight countering demonstrations at Bank Calumet

BY JERRY DAVICH
    jdavich@nwitimes.com

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Sunday, March 26, 2006 12:03 AM CST

MUNSTER I Blaring car horns, racist slurs and angry fisticuffs punctuated a volatile encounter of protesters and counter-protesters Saturday morning outside Bank Calumet.

"God bless America! Stay out of our business!" yelled members of the locally based Indiana Federation for Immigration Reform and Enforcement.

"Go home (expletive) Nazi racists!" yelled members of an opposing group of circling counterprotesters.

The federation, a public interest organization advocating what it calls immigration policies with an impact, demonstrated against bank loans for undocumented aliens, echoing six similar previous local protests.

Several members of the Chicago Minuteman Project joined the federation, hoisting protest signs to passing motorists and exchanging verbal jabs with visibly angry counterprotesters.

"We're not racists, we're LEGAL Americans," Minuteman members yelled under American flags whipping in a fierce wind. "Those people are Communists."

The counterprotesters -- some from the Progressive Labor Party of Chicago, others from Purdue University Calumet or there on their own -- chanted in bilingual defiance: "¡Obreros unidos jamas seran vencidos!" or, "Workers united will never be defeated!"

Susana Findley, a Gary native whose parents were born in Mexico, said illegal immigrant workers arrived here for the same reason federation members' ancestors arrived: To find work and a better life.

"But those racist immigrants forget about that," said Findley, nodding toward the federation's camp.

Several counterprotesters arrived earlier than the scheduled 10 a.m. federation protest, setting up shop at the corner of Calumet Avenue and Ridge Road.

When 63-year-old Chicago Minuteman member Rick Biesada arrived and pulled out his protest sign, he claimed that two counterprotesters yanked it from him. When he yanked it back, the men assaulted him, knocking him to the ground, he said.

The Lindenhurst, Ill., resident was treated by paramedics at the scene for a gash over his eye and dizziness, spending a few minutes inside an ambulance before returning to the protest.

"I wished he fell to the ground harder," Findley said.

Munster police Sgt. Nick Hudak, one of several officers showing up to stand between the opposing groups, said no arrests were made and no other injuries occurred.

Protesters on both sides said the escalating debate over U.S. House Bill 4437, the so-called Border Security bill, may have inflamed the controversy of offering bank loans to illegal aliens.

The bill, which would strengthen enforcement of existing immigration laws and enhance border security, has already passed the House and could be voted on by the Senate as early as this week.

Federation co-founder and Valparaiso resident Cheree Calabro, while passing out fliers to motorists, said similar demonstrations at Bank Calumet had no such problems with counterprotesters.

"I think they're feeling more emboldened with all the national protests (supporting illegal immigration)," said Calabro, whose group is the Indiana chapter of the national Minuteman Project.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I bet there are more stories like this that aren't reported....I knew it..there's going to be civil unrest because our government allowed it!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Munster police Sgt. Nick Hudak, one of several officers showing up to stand between the opposing groups, said no arrests were made and no other injuries occurred.
    How is this possible when a man required medical treatment?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yep

If you think the illegals are arrogant and disrespectful of our laws now, you just wait till they pass an amnesty. You had better be ready to protect yourselves, your family and property. The stupid politicians still have not taken their blinders off. The incident with Senator Chip Rogers ought to give them a hint of how these illegals and pro illegal groups operate. It is going to get worse, much worse.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Why were there NO arrests?? Those goons assaulted a senior citizen. There's a LAW against that!! Duh...

This is the exact reason that I don't really support a 'march' for citizens...I remember too well how the law officers allowed the MinuteMen to be assaulted without a single word to them...and also remember that a law enforcment officer attempted to 'help' an illegal to stage an accident scene at the Nevada meeting.

I truly believe that if CITIZENS took to the streets we'd be in physical danger....these illegals have usurped EVERYTHING in our nation...including our first amendment rights.

Perhaps those younger than I am don't have these concerns...however, I am a senior with certain disabilities which I must consider before supporting a march.

I support a general strike. Go nowhere, buy NOTHING...for at least two days. That would show everyone where the real POWER lies.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

After a few days, when the smoke clears, I'm sure you will find that it was the Americans, not the illegals, who were arrested. The same way cops lose their jobs when an illegal alien gets hurt.

I knew it was only a matter of time. I dreaded this news more than any other.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)