Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

KLBJ cancels "Todd and Don Show" over racial slur

KLBJ cancels "Todd and Don Show"
    Don Pryor will be reassigned to off-air duties

Updated: Monday, 20 Jul 2009, 10:26 PM CDT
    Published : Monday, 20 Jul 2009, 2:17 PM CDT

* Blair Shiff, Paul Matadeen

AUSTIN (KXAN) - KLBJ announced on the radio at 1:30 p.m. Monday that the "Todd and Don Show" was canceled effective immediately.

Don Pryor will be reassigned to new "off-the-air" duties. Todd Jeffries will return after his unpaid suspension as the station's news director and will continue to appear on the air.

This reaction comes after Pryor used a derogatory word to describe undocumented workers on July 14. Pryor used the word w*****k more than 30 times during the hour-long show on Wednesday. To listen to the broadcast in its entirety, click here .

Jeffries, who co-hosts the show, did not say the word - and in fact tried to stop Pryor - but was being held responsible for the remarks because, managers said, he should have done more to stop Pryor.

Managers said they have reached out to Austin's Hispanic community, including Austin City Councilman Mike Martinez, in the aftermath of the controversy - which began Wednesday morning when the U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association - with more than 1,000 members in Central Texas alone - demanded an apology and threatened to boycott the station's advertisers if management didn't respond appropriately.

On July 16, Pryor apologized on-air, but members of U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association said that is not enough. The USHCA set up a meeting with the owners of KLBJ on July 20 to reach an agreement on an "acceptable plan of action" if this were to happen again. It is unknown if their meeting directly influenced the cancellation.

Below is an interview with UT journalism professor Robert Jensen who discusses the threat of freedom of speech with this case:

Jensen said the harsh words could be a reflection of a bigger problem in society.

"The problems of racism and sexism in the United States are not part of our history, they're part of our contemporary struggle," he said.

He called the decision to pull the show a victory.

"It's a victory for remembering that racism in the United States is not gone, and it will only be beaten back with action and often very loud action like this," Jensen said.

Andy Martinez with the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce said, "I think you owe it to the listeners and the advertisers and folks that support you, to use that power - the power of the pulpit/airwaves - to use it in a respectful way."

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/KLBJ ... idc-ctools

To hear the broadcast - http://home.kxan.com/mp3/KLBJ_07_14_09_Broadcast.mp3

KLBJ cancels "Todd and Don Show" over racial slur

KLBJ cancels "Todd and Don Show"
    Don Pryor will be reassigned to off-air duties

Updated: Monday, 20 Jul 2009, 10:26 PM CDT
    Published : Monday, 20 Jul 2009, 2:17 PM CDT

* Blair Shiff, Paul Matadeen

AUSTIN (KXAN) - KLBJ announced on the radio at 1:30 p.m. Monday that the "Todd and Don Show" was canceled effective immediately.

Don Pryor will be reassigned to new "off-the-air" duties. Todd Jeffries will return after his unpaid suspension as the station's news director and will continue to appear on the air.

This reaction comes after Pryor used a derogatory word to describe undocumented workers on July 14. Pryor used the word w*****k more than 30 times during the hour-long show on Wednesday. To listen to the broadcast in its entirety, click here .

Jeffries, who co-hosts the show, did not say the word - and in fact tried to stop Pryor - but was being held responsible for the remarks because, managers said, he should have done more to stop Pryor.

Managers said they have reached out to Austin's Hispanic community, including Austin City Councilman Mike Martinez, in the aftermath of the controversy - which began Wednesday morning when the U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association - with more than 1,000 members in Central Texas alone - demanded an apology and threatened to boycott the station's advertisers if management didn't respond appropriately.

On July 16, Pryor apologized on-air, but members of U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association said that is not enough. The USHCA set up a meeting with the owners of KLBJ on July 20 to reach an agreement on an "acceptable plan of action" if this were to happen again. It is unknown if their meeting directly influenced the cancellation.

Below is an interview with UT journalism professor Robert Jensen who discusses the threat of freedom of speech with this case:

Jensen said the harsh words could be a reflection of a bigger problem in society.

"The problems of racism and sexism in the United States are not part of our history, they're part of our contemporary struggle," he said.

He called the decision to pull the show a victory.

"It's a victory for remembering that racism in the United States is not gone, and it will only be beaten back with action and often very loud action like this," Jensen said.

Andy Martinez with the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce said, "I think you owe it to the listeners and the advertisers and folks that support you, to use that power - the power of the pulpit/airwaves - to use it in a respectful way."

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/KLBJ ... idc-ctools

To hear the broadcast - http://home.kxan.com/mp3/KLBJ_07_14_09_Broadcast.mp3

Maybe these 2 guys went too far but so does George Lopez,Some Senators and OBL's when they call us Red Necks, Racist,Klan members,Nativist etc. just because we want our laws upheld and for people from other countries to RESPECT our Sovereignty and our laws on Immigration.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Maybe these 2 guys went too far but so does George Lopez,Some Senators and OBL's when they call us Red Necks, Racist,Klan members,Nativist etc. just because we want our laws upheld and for people from other countries to RESPECT our Sovereignty and our laws on Immigration.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

They should have checked their own website before making complaints.... overwhelmingly, the complaints have been against canceling the show- not their comments.

WATCH: Listener react after KLBJ-AM show cancelled

10:18 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

By SHELTON GREEN / KVUE News

Listener's calls into 590 KLBJ AM lit phone banks up like a Christmas tree Monday afternoon minutes after the station announced the cancelling of The Todd & Don Show in light of controversial remarks made by one of the hosts.

Last week Don Pryor used a derogatory comment more than 30 times describing undocumented workers.

Pryor and his co-host Todd Jeffries remain on a 2-week suspension without pay.

"I just wanted to say condolences to KLBJ yall didn't do anything wrong and I don't think Todd and Don did anything wrong," says one listener who called into the Jeff Ward show Monday afternoon.

Emmis Radio, the company which owns KLBJ received pressure and threats of boycotts from several different Hispanic organizations.

"We certainly acknowledge and apologize for the airing of language and remarks that were insulting and highly offensive to many, many people in the community and again to that we give our sincere apologies," says Scott Gilmore with Emmis Austin Radio.

Days after the controversy KVUE received complaints against one of the most vocal Hispanic organizations which sat down with KLBJ management regarding the comments.

The complaints were about video clips on the U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association of Austin which featured outtakes with comedian Paul Rodriguez. In part of the clip Rodriguez makes fun of the local gay community.

"We put that video on the website because we weren't trying to focus on the blooper or the gay community but I certainly understand their concern," says Juan Oyervides with the U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association.

On Monday evening the U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association decided to pull the Rodriguez video from its website after it was posted there for a year.

In a statement to KVUE Oyervides says "we have decided to take the clip down so that there's no doubt to our community of lessons learned over recent days."

Emmis Radio says Todd Jeffries will return to KLBJ after suspension as the News Director.

Don Pryor will also return but not in an on-air capacity according to the station.
    http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori....5e28cb5e.html

They should have checked their own website before making complaints.... overwhelmingly, the complaints have been against canceling the show- not their comments.

WATCH: Listener react after KLBJ-AM show cancelled

10:18 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

By SHELTON GREEN / KVUE News

Listener's calls into 590 KLBJ AM lit phone banks up like a Christmas tree Monday afternoon minutes after the station announced the cancelling of The Todd & Don Show in light of controversial remarks made by one of the hosts.

Last week Don Pryor used a derogatory comment more than 30 times describing undocumented workers.

Pryor and his co-host Todd Jeffries remain on a 2-week suspension without pay.

"I just wanted to say condolences to KLBJ yall didn't do anything wrong and I don't think Todd and Don did anything wrong," says one listener who called into the Jeff Ward show Monday afternoon.

Emmis Radio, the company which owns KLBJ received pressure and threats of boycotts from several different Hispanic organizations.

"We certainly acknowledge and apologize for the airing of language and remarks that were insulting and highly offensive to many, many people in the community and again to that we give our sincere apologies," says Scott Gilmore with Emmis Austin Radio.

Days after the controversy KVUE received complaints against one of the most vocal Hispanic organizations which sat down with KLBJ management regarding the comments.

The complaints were about video clips on the U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association of Austin which featured outtakes with comedian Paul Rodriguez. In part of the clip Rodriguez makes fun of the local gay community.

"We put that video on the website because we weren't trying to focus on the blooper or the gay community but I certainly understand their concern," says Juan Oyervides with the U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association.

On Monday evening the U.S. Hispanic Contractors Association decided to pull the Rodriguez video from its website after it was posted there for a year.

In a statement to KVUE Oyervides says "we have decided to take the clip down so that there's no doubt to our community of lessons learned over recent days."

Emmis Radio says Todd Jeffries will return to KLBJ after suspension as the News Director.

Don Pryor will also return but not in an on-air capacity according to the station.
    http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori....5e28cb5e.html

In todays world if your white your wrong, if your black or brown all is good, as the comedian Mencia says the white population are cowards in terms of joking about minorities and sad to say i agree.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

In todays world if your white your wrong, if your black or brown all is good, as the comedian Mencia says the white population are cowards in terms of joking about minorities and sad to say i agree.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Mencia finds it easy to say that because he's brown. Whites have been TOTALLY BEATEN DOWN with the race cards constantly thrown at them.

You can't even speak out against Obumma without someone calling you a racist even if there was no mention of skin color. Most whites are just sick of it so easier to say nothing at all. One of my greatest fears of an Obama presidency (or should I say dicatotship) has come to pass and that is what he has done for race relations. As far as I can see, it has gotten much much worse.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Mencia finds it easy to say that because he's brown. Whites have been TOTALLY BEATEN DOWN with the race cards constantly thrown at them.

You can't even speak out against Obumma without someone calling you a racist even if there was no mention of skin color. Most whites are just sick of it so easier to say nothing at all. One of my greatest fears of an Obama presidency (or should I say dicatotship) has come to pass and that is what he has done for race relations. As far as I can see, it has gotten much much worse.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast