http://www.poz.com/articles/446_5166.shtml

A Latino Wake-Up Call

As a newly diagnosed person with HIV (Sept. 2005), I am becoming more and more aware of my own unique role in fighting this pandemic. Growing up in an upper class, predominantly white neighborhood and going to the requisite schools, I learned firsthand the power of marginalization. I was not completely accepted by the anglo kids or the poorer Latinos and also didn’t fully identify with either.

Regrettably, I see some this same marginalization in the HIV community. Some of us who are newly diagnosed were mere children in the 80's and do not identify with long-term survivors. And yet we are no longer accepted by the broader HIV negative community. This is not to invalidate anyone's experiences but merely to suggest that care, support and funding models may need to shift so that this population is not forgotten about. While many of us have not lost hundreds of friends and are not ready to go out on Social Security, that does not make our concerns or issues any less important.

The greater health care community needs a wake-up call as well. As census figures have shown, the U.S. is becoming browner. The events of recent weeks have shown that, more and more, Latinos are gaining in political clout and will power. More and more Latinos will also become infected with HIV.

It's becoming apparent that HIV prevention models tailored towards gay white men have largely failed the African-American community and it may be too late to stave off the growing crisis there. Latinos face some of the same issues regarding condom usage, religion and homosexuality. Let's work together to tailor these prevention efforts in ways that work so that whether the person has assimilated into mainstream culture or is a recent immigrant, we are reaching out to them equally with understanding and compassion.

With mixed emotions,
H. Luna