Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latinos question law on licenses

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... EWSREC0201

Thursday, September 14, 2006
    Latinos question law on licenses

By Amy Dominello
    Staff Writer

GREENSBORO -- Concerned they are being unfairly targeted, members of the city's Hispanic community packed a meeting Wednesday night to discuss a new state law governing who is eligible for a North Carolina driver's license.

Wayne Hurder, driver and vehicle services director for the state Division of Motor Vehicles, said the law allows only people who have a Social Security number or a valid unexpired visa to obtain a driver's license or a state identification card.

"We realize these changes have made it difficult for some people in this room to renew or obtain licenses," Hurder told the audience of about 75 people.

Centro de Accion Latino sponsored the meeting at the Hemphill branch of the Greensboro Public Library. Among those attending were DMV officials and Greensboro police officers.

The meeting was the first of 20 educational seminars on different topics the nonprofit educational organization plans to hold throughout the community.

Previously, the state allowed people to use either their Social Security number or federal Individual Taxpayer Identification Number -- ITIN -- as proof of identity.

Hurder said under the new law, the ITIN is no longer allowed.

The law applies to new licenses and renewals. About 167,000 North Carolina licenses have been issued using ITIN.

As those licenses expire, Hurder said, drivers will need to show proof they have a Social Security number or a valid visa.

The issue is a concern to many Hispanics who have used their ITIN to get licenses and don't have Social Security numbers.

With the change, those people who previously received a license face the prospect of losing it.

"This is creating a problem in the Hispanic community because people are driving without licenses," said Jesus Blanco, an officer on the board of directors for Centro De Accion Latino.

Many in the audience asked questions about the new law. They also complained they have been treated poorly at DMV offices and that there was confusion about the law.

Hurder said the DMV was adjusting to the law and it still had to be fine-tuned.

For example, he said, some people can be in the U.S. legally with an expired visa, but the new state law prevents them from getting a license.

Contact Amy Dominello at 373-7091 or adominello@news-record.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"This is creating a problem in the Hispanic community because people are driving without licenses," said Jesus Blanco, an officer on the board of directors for Centro De Accion Latino.
    An admission of guilt, the Greensboro police in the room and no one was arrested? How did they get to the meeting, drive cars without a license?

If it were you or me, average American citizen, the police would have been waiting for us when we left the meeting.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Wave,

That's no joke. We would have received a nasty ticket of driving w/o a liscense, and possibly had our car towed and impounded.

"We realize these changes have made it difficult for some people in this room to renew or obtain licenses,"
    That's the whole point of the new laws!
    What I don't understand is this, do illegals just plain and simple not understand the concept of laws? I would like to try and understand their thinking patterns, but many times their patterns don't make sense.
    How do they determine that the new laws are specifically targeting hispanics?
    Are they just not following the laws simply because illegals think the laws are unfair?
    Why do they not understand the new laws are targeting anyone illegal?
    I know we've all wondered this. Sometimes its mind boggling to try and figure out why many of them don't get the concept of laws.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

JAK
    It seems to get them what they want eventually...at least that is how it has been working. Medical, Education, jobs... everyone just looks the other way when it comes to illegals! And their so called civil rights organizations just keep fighting our laws until they can hopefully get the outcome they want! This makes me sick...all of it! I'm so tired of this.
    WHY CAN'T WE JUST SAY NO!!!! This is our country. Why do we have to justify why??? They are illegal...period! I wonder, are most of these people in La Raza and the rest of these organizations...from the 1986 amnesty??? I do not remember growing up with this...and I have several hispanic friends. I think they are ...or they were born from people who were in that amnesty. Big mistake...this has turned out to be a total MESS!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When I lived and worked in Clearwater FL. 2003-2005 the illegals
    who worked and lived in the area could not get new or renewal drivers licenses because of tough rules put in place after 9/11.

Guess where a lot of them went for a drivers license?
    North Carolina

most of these folks are from Bosnia, Serbia or Asia

I can't understand why it's so surprising to see illegals without driver licenses

If you lived in Miami this is the normal way of driving and having a car.

When it comes to us, citizens, the police checks everyhing, expecialy the seat belt...

You need to see he number of handicap targets, hanging in the cars, and when you need a space you have to wait for a young spanish person , definetively not handicaped, to take her car off when she finish , from the handicap space.

JAK
    I can't understand why it's so surprising to see illegals without driver licenses
    If they are here illegally ...they shouldn't have a DL! They shoud be deported!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!