LGBTQ, IMMIGRATION ACTIVISTS PLAN "DAY OF ACTION" FOR AMNESTY IN D.C.

by CAROLINE MAY
5 Sep 2014

A group of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people pushing for amnesty are planning a “Day of Action,” beginning with a press conference in front of the White House next week.

“President Obama has yet to deliver broad and inclusive relief, as promised,” the coalition of LGBTQ and immigration activists wrote in its Friday announcement.

“Our community has waited long enough,” they continued. “All decision-makers with the authority, ability, and responsibility must act on behalf of the 11 million undocumented immigrants in this country, including 267,000 undocumented LGBTQ immigrants.”

The coalition — made up of GetEQUAL, The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Freedom to Marry, LULAC, United We Dream, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, National Latino Institute for Reproductive Health, GLAAD, and Immigration Equality — said it will hold a press conference in front of the White House Tuesday and follow it up with visits to the offices of members of Congress “standing in the way of meaningful immigration reform.”

Some of the participating groups have a propensity for aggressive protesting and civildisobedience.

The announcement comes as the White House appears to be wavering on it deadline to announce executive actions on immigration amid concerns from vulnerable Democrats facing tough elections in November — something that has immigration activists frustrated.

"I am calling on President Obama to act now, and to make good on his promise to offer administrative relief to the millions of immigrants, like myself, who are looking to him for leadership," Luis Aguilera Garcia, an organizer with GetEQUAL North Carolina who is expected to participate in Tuesday’s “Day of Action,” said in a statement.

"For far too long, we have waited on political leaders in DC to show courage and to do the right thing,” he added. “We need President Obama to act now, without delay -- waiting until after the midterm elections will result in nearly 70,000 deportations, and will simply be the same kind of cold and calculated political act that I thought President Obama came to Washington to put an end to.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/09/05/LGBTQ-Immigration-Activists-Plan-Day-of-Action-for-Amnesty-in-D-C