Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Los Angeles: Immigration activist Arellano arrested

Immigration activist Arellano arrested
    By Antonio Olivo

Tribune staff reporter

5:52 PM CDT, August 19, 2007

LOS ANGELES—An immigration activist who sought refuge inside a Chicago church for a year was arrested in Los Angeles this afternoon after taking her campaign on the road.

Elvira Arellano was arrested about 4:15 p.m. Chicago time by law-enforcement officials after leaving Our Lady Queen of Angels Church in downtown Los Angeles, said Emma Lozano, an adviser who was there during the arrest.

After talking to news media inside the church, Arellano and her supporters got into their van to head north to San Jose, where she was scheduled to speak at another church, Lozano said. Moments after they entered the van, an unmarked vehicle stopped them.

The driver of Arellano's van, Roberto Lopez, poked his head out because he wanted to see why they were being blocked. Several other unmarked vehicles surrounded their van.

Agents emerged from all the cars screaming for Arellano to get out, Lozano said. Her 8-year-old son, Saul, started to cry, and Arellano said to everyone in the car, "Calm down. Don't have any fear. They can't hurt me."

Then she turned to the people who were about to arrest her and she said, "You're going to have to give me a minute with my son," Lozano said. She spent time with her son in the car, then surrendered.

Arellano was arrested on Main Street, near the church, where she slept Saturday night and where she's held several press conferences Saturday and today.

aolivo@tribune.com

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 7709.story

It is about time !

Is this for real???
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April, Dixie, Jean,

We need your fireworks post for this story!
    :P

GREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REPEAT: IS THIS FOR REAL?
    Just because you're used to something doesn't make it right.

Incredible, absolutely incredible. I'm sure that one of her people will release the video to the media showing the chaos and son's reaction.

I'm tivo'ing all the networks tonight.

I just can't believe this! May it be a message to all.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger
    April, Dixie, Jean,

We need your fireworks post for this story!
    :P
    April's are better but here's something!

She was making a mockery out of ICE, as if saying 'come and get me.'
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I’ve never thought of this aspect of the case before. If she is deported without her son, his father would be next in line to have custody of him. The courts would have to rule him out as custodian before proceeding to consider another person. If the child is placed with his natural father, it would make her case a lot less compelling.

Just read the link at the Chicago Tribune, the story appears to be legitimate.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast