Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MA Underground Irish

http://news.bostonherald.com/immigratio ... at=&page=1

Hub’s underground Irish
    By Kate Gibson
    Sunday, July 23, 2006 - Updated: 10:08 AM EST

Despite mounting pressure statewide for drastic action against illegal immigrants, many Irish living illicitly in Massachusetts insist they love it here and will stay on in defiance of the law.

“I came because I wanted to live here and make a life here,” said Jim, who arrived in 1998 and despite his illegal status runs a painting company, has a driver’s license and pays into Social Security.

“There’s a great economy back home,” said Jim, one of several illegal Irish immigrants who spoke on condition of anonymity. “I could get a job there but I want to live here.”

There are an estimated 10,000 illegal Irish immigrants living in the Bay State, approximately 20 percent of all the undocumented Irish nationwide.

“Being undocumented means they’re effectively confined to an underground existence,” said Sister Lena Deevy, executive director of the Irish Immigration Centre Center (www.iicenter.org) in Boston. “You’re always looking over your shoulder. You can’t move around. You can’t leave the country or move from state to state.”

Each summer, thousands of Irish students are brought here on so-called J-1 work visas, drawn by the seasonal work in restaurants and bars on Cape Cod and by the region’s Irish flair.

“I found it very easy to settle in here. Irish students feel welcome here because we are made to feel like valued employees,” said Cathy Stokes, a Trinity College student staying at MIT in Cambridge and working in an Irish bar.

But many J-1 students stay on illegally, hoping to melt into the shadows and quietly earn a living. Despite their undocumented status, they find it easy to get work.

“An illegal plumber will probably be cheaper than an American one,” said Anthony, who arrived six years ago.

“Americans give you the work willingly,” added Jim, one of the many undocumented Irish who work in construction.

But the illegal status also can lead to exploitation. “You have to bite the bullet and keep your mouth shut,” said Gobnait Conneely, an Irish native who says she worked under a cruel employer in the years before she was granted legal status.

Anthony, who owns a mechanic shop on the Cape, noted that he “can’t buy property in America since it might be seized if I get found out. I am forced to send all my savings home.”

Jim, the painter, recalled applying for legal status after spending three years here illegally. During the process he traveled home for his father’s funeral and ran afoul of a rule that you cannot leave the U.S. for up to four years during the application process.

“I want to live here. If they don’t want people like me here, who do they want?” he said.

State Rep. Marie J. Parente (D-Milford), a strong opponent of illegal immigration, is troubled by the ease with which illegals infiltrate the state.

“Many things need to be improved,” she said.

Despite their shadowy status and the growing threat of a crackdown and deportation, Irish illegals insist they’ll stay.

“There’s a big Irish community here in Boston and everyone feels like they’ve got each other’s backs,” said Cathy Stokes, the Trinity student. “That’s as much an incentive to stay as any.”

Dublin native Kate Gibson is a summer intern at the Herald. Her email is kgibson@bostonherald.com.

***These people think that just because they want to come here to live that we should allow it. Go through the proper channels if you wish to immigrate here. And yes more money earned illegally flowing out of our country into theirs. All illegal aliens must go back to their own countries you cannot just make the decision yourself to come here you must abide by the laws. It is not up to you.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“Being undocumented means they’re effectively confined to an underground existence,” said Sister Lena Deevy, executive director of the Irish Immigration Centre Center (www.iicenter.org) in Boston. “You’re always looking over your shoulder. You can’t move around. You can’t leave the country or move from state to state.”
    It's a self-imposed condition which they can easily rectify, by returning to Ireland. These people really have no excuse at all for being here illegally, since they readily admit that the economy is good in Ireland.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Perfect example of wanting your cake and eating it too. Go home!!!
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn