Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A May Day mayday

A May Day mayday

By Dimitri Vassilaros
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, April 24, 2006

Armando Navarro is on the verge of doing more to end illegal immigration in America than anyone in the Bush administration. (Speaking of damning with faint praise.) But Mr. Navarro does not know it.
    Even when he candidly admits that the invasion of illegal aliens will not slow even if every illegal now in America qualifies for amnesty.

Mr. Navarro, a University of California, Riverside, professor and coordinator of the National Alliance for Human Rights, is organizing an international boycott of American goods and services on May Day to pressure this republic to instantly morph the 11 million-plus illegal aliens here into legal ones.

His organization and others are asking immigrants in America to boycott work, school and community activities to intimidate the U.S. government with a show of economic and political force by "undocumented workers" and their advocates.

Latin American countries also will tell their citizens not to buy American goods, he says. It's to demonstrate international support for illegals demanding American citizenship.

"We are going to show power with incredible marches to be in concert with the struggles with immigrants in America," Navarro said when we spoke on Thursday. "We want to create multiple pressure points for Congress and the president. No other group in history did this much. Not even Martin Luther King Jr. Not even he can claim that."

True, but the Rev. King appealed to the best in Americans. He did not try to intimidate. No one waved Mexican flags during the 1963 march on Washington.

Navarro also seems to be somewhat of a security expert. "The borders cannot be secured as long as the United States needs cheap labor," he said. "It is not going to cease as long as Mexico and other Latin American countries struggle. As long as there are inequalities the influx of people will continue."

Remember that the next time President Bush or any other politician in the Beltway says that amnesty for illegals in America will solve the illegal immigration problem. It might alleviate the problem, for a while, but not eradicate it, Navarro said. "It's like the Dutch boy and the dike, only he could not plug all the pressure points."

The Mexican minimum wage -- $4 or 42 pesos a day -- is another pressure point, Navarro says.

"Ask them why they are crossing and they will say there is no work where they live; that they cannot survive on the minimum wage," he says. "The idea of coming to this country and making $10 to $20 an hour is unbelievable for them."

And it will be unbelievable if America is not frightened by this international naked challenge to its sovereignty. The only thing more galling than 11 million foreigners who are violating the law and yet want, no, make that demand , American citizenship is that other nations also will be demanding it.

If that does not motivate every American to reclaim this country then all is lost. And get used to virtual mob rule when policy in Washington is based on how many protesters march for the cause du jour.

Let's hope the boycott is an international success -- but only if it awakens this sleeping giant so it can reclaim its identity before every American is forced to learn Spanish and the lyrics to the Internationale, the anthem of workers around the world. Especially the Third World.

Dimitri Vassilaros is a Trib editorial page columnist. His column appears Sundays, Mondays and Fridays. Call him at 412-380-5637. E-mail him at dvassilaros@tribweb.com.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-rev ... 46855.html

I was upset when I was listning to Lou Dobbs to find out they also plan to march on May 1st. I thought they were to boycott, not go to school or work, but STAY HOME. God do these illegals ever plan on getting out of my face on any day?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'll let you guys know how many of my students show up. At least I teach elementary kids. What do you guys think? Should I write a note parents telling them I expect all of my kids to be in school? I have all latinos in my class.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    I was upset when I was listning to Lou Dobbs to find out they also plan to march on May 1st. I thought they were to boycott, not go to school or work, but STAY HOME. God do these illegals ever plan on getting out of my face on any day?
    Nope, sadly not.