Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mayor's Hispanic Advisory Council severs ties in Green Bay

Posted June 21, 2007

Mayor's Hispanic Advisory Council severs ties in Green Bay

By Paul Srubas
    Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

GREEN BAY — Unwillingness to continue working with Mayor Jim Schmitt is at least partly behind the reorganization of the Mayor's Hispanic Advisory Council of Green Bay, which will now operate as an independent, regional council, its leader, Matt Hollenbeck said Tuesday.

The organization, established by previous Mayor Paul Jadin in 1999, will be called the Hispanic Community Council of Northeastern Wisconsin.

The group plans to focus on more regional issues, rather than being limited to Green Bay, and is preparing to become a non-profit 501C3 operation, Hollenbeck said.

The move is related to the organization's growth and for the growing needs of Hispanic people in a wider geographic area than Green Bay, Hollenbeck said. But, although the separation has been in the works for a while, Hollenbeck said its relationship with Schmitt also was behind it.

The city's new immigration ordinance, which requires anyone obtaining a license, contract or grant from the city to promise to adhere to all federal immigration laws, was partly responsible, he said. "Obviously, we have a huge difference of opinion with the mayor's office on that," Hollenbeck said.

Schmitt sought to get the advisory council's endorsement of the ordinance when it was still in the planning stages.

"He couldn't understand why we couldn't support it," Hollenbeck said.

Members of the council also were disappointed when the city began billing the council for the city services that previously had been donated for council activities, Hollenbeck said.

"We're supposed to be an extension of the mayor's office," Hollenbeck said. "He's getting all the publicity benefit from the touchy-feely, warm and fuzzy activities we were putting on, and we were getting the bills. What's the mutual benefit of this relationship?"

Schmitt seldom actually approached the council for advice and didn't attend its meetings, Hollenbeck said.

Schmitt reacted with surprise to Hollenbeck's comments and said the council could have come to him any time with complaints but never did. A city staff member always attended the council's meetings as the mayor's representative, he said.

"I don't know what they expected," he said of the council.

The city's immigration ordinance was an attempt to improve the community and should in no way be construed as anti-Hispanic, Schmitt said.

"I did ask them to support it, and I felt if they truly understood the ordinance, they'd know there was no discrimination or ill-will intended," Schmitt said. "I thought it would be a good thing if they joined in to say, 'Hey, let's do things legally.'"

Schmitt disagreed that he never sought the council's advice on issues.

However, Schmitt agreed that it's probably time for the council to grow beyond Green Bay's borders in its interests, and he said he looked forward to continuing to work with the organization.

"I think the regional approach is the right thing to do," he said. "They should feel good they're growing to be more regional."

Hollenbeck said the organization, as a free-standing advocacy group, will no longer be confined to putting on events and now will be able to take up political issues without running the risk of conflicting with the mayor's agenda.

Filed by the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbc...C0101/70621048

Oh, so enforcing the law is a problem with them?????
    We have to employ illegals to be on their good side????
    Go pound sand!

By the way, do they have a German Advisory Council?? Irish? Italian? Polish????
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

Hispanic Community Council of Northeastern Wisconsin.

I don't see why they need a special council just for them, sounds like some favoritism to me.

They just hate not getting their own way don't they? Just like a nursery full of two year olds throwing a collective tantrum.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes God forbid we enforce any laws, you know what you can do with your expanded agends

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GET INVOLVED NOW! TIMES RUNNING OUT!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .......
    COME ON EVERYONE WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW! "BILL 1369" STOP IT !!
    "JOIN OUR FOCUS CAMPAIGN"
    HELP SAVE OUR COUNTRY FROM THIS INVASION! OK LOOKIE LOU'S YES YOU!!
    join in on the CALLS, FAXES AND E-MAILS TO OUR SENATORS!!
    "FOCUS CAMPAIGN" DAILY INSTRUCTIONS AND POSTING THREAD LINK BELOW!
    Leave posts so we know what they are saying!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=392574
    ALL CONTACT INFORMATION.....Senators, news, radio, ETC.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=68216
    Your contributions are welcome to help keep ALIPAC afloat and fighting!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=C ... page&pid=9
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Yes God forbid we enforce any laws, you know what you can do with your expanded agends

Keep expanding it South? :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GET INVOLVED NOW! TIMES RUNNING OUT!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .......
    COME ON EVERYONE WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW! "BILL 1369" STOP IT !!
    "JOIN OUR FOCUS CAMPAIGN"
    HELP SAVE OUR COUNTRY FROM THIS INVASION! OK LOOKIE LOU'S YES YOU!!
    join in on the CALLS, FAXES AND E-MAILS TO OUR SENATORS!!
    "FOCUS CAMPAIGN" DAILY INSTRUCTIONS AND POSTING THREAD LINK BELOW!
    Leave posts so we know what they are saying!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=392574
    ALL CONTACT INFORMATION.....Senators, news, radio, ETC.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=68216
    Your contributions are welcome to help keep ALIPAC afloat and fighting!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=C ... page&pid=9
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)