http://www.standardspeaker.com/index.ph ... 9&Itemid=2

McAdoo mayor lambastes council for not adopting IIRA-type ordinance
Friday, 18 August 2006
By SAM GALSKI
Standard-Speaker

McAdoo Mayor Steve Holly criticized majority council members for not yet adopting an Illegal Immigration Relief Act.
But council President Brian Kolbush contends that the wait-and-see approach taken by borough council will pay off in the long run.
Holly contacted the Standard-Speaker Monday and criticized some council members for failing to act on a recommendation he made during a recent work session to adopt an IIRA-type ordinance similar to the one adopted in nearby Hazleton.
That same day, the City of Hazleton was named defendant in a 42-page lawsuit filed in federal court by the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund; the American Civil Liberties Union in Allentown, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, New York and San Francisco and attorneys from Wilkes-Barre and Philadelphia over the IIRA ordinance adopted by the city.
Holly, however, shrugged off concerns for legal costs, saying he wants to “do what’s right.” “I was disappointed that the majority council again chose not to further the ordinance until they see what Hazleton is doing because they’re afraid of getting sued,” Holly said. “My thoughts as mayor and an elected official of the borough – or any small town or city in the country for that matter – is to do what’s right. Legal means you’re doing everything by the book, by the law of the land. Coming to this country illegally, that already says something in itself.”
Kolbush also cited the lawsuit filed against Hazleton – and another filed against the community of Riverside, N.J., that also adopted an IIRA-type measure – when arguing that McAdoo doesn’t have the money to spend on a lawsuit that could run up substantial legal costs.
“Whoever it was in New Jersey just got sued for $10 million,” Kolbush said. “I’m not against adopting the illegal immigration ordinance, but at the same time, I don’t want to open us up to a lawsuit. We only have a $500,000 budget.”
Kolbush contends that council still has the right to obtain a copy of Hazleton’s ordinance and amend it to McAdoo’s needs – while watching how the city fares in its legal battle.
“We can review it and give it to our solicitor to draw something up,” Kolbush said.
“But at the same time, why should we go ahead and open McAdoo up to a lawsuit? I wish Hazleton all the best of luck in this fight. It’s just that they got a bit more money than we do as far as legal fees go. “
Holly acknowledged that McAdoo council designated English the official language, but said the measure lacks any provisions that would hold landlords and employers accountable for knowingly renting to or employing illegal aliens.
“As an elected official in McAdoo, I’m trusted by the people who voted me in,” Holly said.
“And, I feel on this particular subject that it’s the right thing to do and we should go all the way. We should follow the tracks of Hazleton.
“I believe Mayor Lou Barletta of Hazleton is very well-rooted in what he is doing and I admire him for taking the steps that he needs to take to stop all illegal activities,” Holly continued.
“As a neighboring borough, I don’t see why our majority voting council is not acting on the same thing … and every other municipality surrounding Hazleton.

“There is strength in numbers. It is proven.”