Like Tree4Likes

Thread: MD - Dream Act Supporters Campaign For In-State Tuition For The Undocumented

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MD - Dream Act Supporters Campaign For In-State Tuition For The Undocumented

July 18, 2012 5:48 PM
    CBS Baltimore

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Wednesday was a break-out day for supporters of the Dream Act. An active campaign is now underway urging voters to uphold a new state law that offers in-state tuition to undocumented students.

Political reporter Pat Warren has more on their plans.

The Dream Act, approved by the General Assembly and signed by the governor, was put on hold when MDPetitions.com secured the necessary signatures to put the question to voters.

The referendum also survived a court challenge.

“Oh it’s going to be a big, big election,” said Del. Neil Parrott.

Maryland is the 11th state to allow these and other undocumented students to pay the lower in-state tuition for higher education, provided they are Maryland high school graduates and that their parents have paid state taxes for five years.

“Yes, I would be able to take advantage of it,” one supporter said.

UMBC hosted the official launch of Educating Maryland Kids, the coalition working to get voter approval.

“I’m trying to look for a college right now, but right now my status is probably not going to let me get into college unless I pay outside tuition,” said Jonathan, of Baltimore County.

Opponents argue that only legal residents should qualify for in-state benefits.

“Once people understand what the bill says, it’s pretty obvious, just with their common sense they’re going to vote against using our tax dollars to give to illegal aliens,” Parrott said.

Supporters consider that view shortsighted.

“It’s very important that everyone should get a chance for an education,” a supporter said.

The dreamers will rally in Baltimore on Thursday.

Referendums on same-sex marriage and Maryland redistricting are also on the November ballot.

Dream Act Supporters Campaign For In-State Tuition For The Undocumented « CBS Baltimore
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“I’m trying to look for a college right now, but right now my status is probably not going to let me get into college unless I pay outside tuition,” said Jonathan, of Baltimore County.
    MORE benefits these invaders feel they are entitled to! We've been FORCED to pay for their entire upbringing, now they want us to keep the gravy train rolling for them.

If ever a State needed voter ID it's Maryland, and Casa de Maryland should be forced to drop their tax exempt status.

Mexico is waaay out of state. They should get no financial assistance at all. Taxpayer money should be reserved for citizens and legal residents.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Tom Perez, the Assistant AG has carried his position at Casa de Maryland to the DOJ and these illegal foreign nationals believe that they are entitled to the same benefits that US citizens are entitled to at the expense of the US citizens - they are not. They are dissident foreigners and should be deported. JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn