Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ME: LePage rescinds illegal immigrant order

ME: LePage rescinds illegal immigrant order

Kennebec Journal
    January 6, 2011
    AUGUSTA, ME

In one of his first official acts, Gov. Paul LePage issued an order allowing officials in state agencies to question people with whom they come into contact about their immigration status, infuriating civil libertarians.

The Republican's executive order today rescinds one that had been issued by his Democratic predecessor, John Baldacci, that barred state officials from asking about immigration status.

A LePage spokesman says the governor wants to send the message that with scarce state resources, he's putting legal Maine citizens first above all.

The Maine Civil Liberties Union's Shenna Bellows says she fears this might be a "first step in the state's anti-freedom agenda."

When Baldacci first issued his order in 2004, it banned state officials from inquiring about the immigration status of anyone applying for services, including law enforcement.

Baldacci later amended it so it no longer covered law enforcement.

http://www.kjonline.com/news/maine-LePa ... rder-.html

If I lived in Maine I'd be posting fliers saying we don't want you, but Rhode Island is waiting with open arms and sanctuary policies! ( My apologies to R.I. citizens opposed to this, but he's your Gov.for the next 4 years)

The Maine Civil Liberties Union's Shenna Bellows says she fears this might be a "first step in the state's anti-freedom agenda."
    Depends on how you look at it. Some people would consider the absence of illegals freedom.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn