Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Mexican Consulate to open in Little Rock

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/article ... news11.txt

Mexican Consul General announces consulate will open in Little Rock
    Saturday, February 25, 2006 1:37 PM CST
    By JAKE BECKWITH
    Texarkana Gazette

Carlos Garcia de Alba Zepeda, the Consul General of Mexico based in Dallas, visited Texarkana for the first time Friday as a goodwill ambassador.

He said he came to learn more about the needs of the Mexican community in the Texarkana area as well as to confirm news of a Mexican consulate to open in Little Rock.

On a somber note, he also fielded a question about Mexico’s likely response to the Mendez murder hearing in De Queen, Ark., where Eleazar Paula Mendez is charged with capital murder in the deaths of her three children.

In Friday’s edition of the Gazette, it was reported that the Mexican government will not cooperate if the United States pursues the death penalty in the case against Mendez.

Zepeda appeared to be in a good mood during the press conference at the Texarkana Chamber of Commerce building on North State Line Avenue, addressing the media and local leaders in Spanish.

“Buenos dias,” he said. Once the audience repeated the greeting, Zepeda continued to speak in Spanish for another 30 seconds.

“And don’t worry,” he said. “I am just checking that your Spanish is not rusty.

“It is my privilege to confirm that sometime next summer, there will be a Mexican consulate working in Arkansas. I think this is important for everyone in Arkansas, not just for the Mexican community,” Zepeda said.

He said the Little Rock consulate would be the first Mexican consulate in Arkansas and would likely have about 15 employees.

He fielded questions from the audience about education as well as the position of the Mexican government on the death penalty in the Mendez case.

Zepeda said his government “has a clear position” in regard to capital punishment.

“The Mexican government, as many other governments in the world, opposes the death penalty. The Mexican government doesn’t believe in the death penalty as a way to make justice,” he said. “But we know perfectly that this is an independent country ... We respect, strongly, the rule of law in the United States. We are not in a position of deciding what is the responsibility of this lady.”

Texarkana, Ark., Mayor Horace Shipp opened the press conference by welcoming Zepeda to the city.

“The consul general is a very important part of our nation in that it is the official headquarters for representation of Mexico. It plays an important role in matters mutual to the two countries,” he said.

Zepeda said he encourages Mexicans moving to the United States to learn to speak English. He also encourages Americans to learn to speak Spanish.

“I think it is to everyone’s convenience to learn more languages. To my people, I recommend strongly to learn English,” he said.

Jimmy Balditt Barrios, a Spanish business consultant and court interpreter from Texarkana, Ark., also attended the press conference. He helped promote Zepeda’s visit to Texarkana.

“I think it was a great message from the Republic of Mexico. I am impressed with the way (the consul general) is handling the growth, working together with the United States and Mexico,” Barrios said. “This is the beginning of a nurturing relationship with our sister republic.”
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Pretty soon the Mexican consulates are going to be like 7-11 and Circle K stores.