Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican Immigration: Reframing the Debate

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185410,00.html

Monday, February 20, 2006
    by Father Jonathan Morris for FOX Fan Central
    Monday, February 20, 2006 — These are the stories that are making the headlines:
    1) 65 Mexican Miners Trapped (Fr J: "Miners live dangerously everywhere.")

2) Sounds Heard Under Philippines Mudslide Rubble (Fr J: "Please, God.")

3) Muslims Attack U.S. Embassy in Indonesia (Fr J: "Over last year’s cartoons")

4) U.S. to Give Control of Domestic Ports to Muslim Nation (Fr J: "White House will do a Harriet Miers turnaround if we keep up the pressure.")

5) Bin Laden Vows Never to be Captured Alive (Fr J: "Nothing new")

6) Avian Flu Virus Continues to Spread Westward (Fr J: "I now hard-boil my eggs")

7) Israel Begins Sanctions on New Palestinian Government (Fr J: "God help us.")
    They are all worth commentary, and I’ll be doing some of that on the air this week, but I’ve decided to take on another issue for this posting, convinced that if we only consider what “makes the newsâ€
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Here's the response I emailed to him:

Father Morris,

In your recent Fox News editorial, the following quote is the only thing you got right;
    "Am I being unrealistic to think that, 50 years down the road, we will be in very serious difficulties when, from east to west, our nation is filled with Hispanics who don’t consider themselves Americans, because their nation has never accepted them? That kind of social situation has led to brutal conflict and even war."
    That statement is exactly right and indeed will happen, if we do not stop illegal aliens from entering our country. A nation that does not have secure borders, will not long, be a nation.
    You assume all kinds of rights for illegal aliens in our country, but you conveniently ignore the rights of our own citizens. As American citizens, we have the right to expect our government to protect us from invasion. We have the right to determine who and in what numbers, enter our country. We have the right to set laws and standards for legal entry into this country, checking those who apply, for diseases, criminal records and the ability to contribute to our society. It is not we, the American people who are abusing the, so called, "rights" of illegal aliens, it is the illegal aliens who abuse and try to deny us our rights, by ignoring and abusing our laws.
    Illegal aliens are criminals by definition. They break our laws by entering our country illegally, they often use forged documents to obtain work and raid our social services. If they cannot get a driver's license, they drive our roads anyway, often causing wrecks and injury, or even death to Americans and increasing our insurance rates. They add crime to our streets, which leads to overcrowding of our prisons and as recently shown, incite riots and death at those prisons. They abuse our hospitals and leave the bills to be paid, in the form of increased expenses for honest American citizens. They overwhelm our school systems, while not paying their fair share of taxes that support those schools. They depress our wages by giving unscrupulous employers a source for cheap labor. Are these the people America needs as immigrants?
    People, no matter where they come from or for what reason they come, that do not respect our rights and laws, do not deserve our respect in return. Yes, our nation is one born of immigrants, but they were immigrants, who first, established our rule of law, then lived their lives by those laws. There can be no respect and indeed no acceptance of illegal aliens.
    If our elected Representatives will not enforce the rule of law, then, we the people of the United States Of America will exercise our "rights" and deport those Representatives from office.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Here's his response to my email:

David, thanks for your note and for your good points. Yes, we need to elliminate illegal immigration. My point is that we will not be able to do this by security alone. We need to revamp immigration law to correspond to the demands of our economy. Does that make better sense? God bless and thanks for following the blog.

Sadly, even the church looks at this as a money issue.

REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!