10 hours 33 minutes ago by Nathan O'Neal

TUCSON - A Mexican national is seeking asylum in a downtown church out of fear of being deported.

Herminia Rojas walked into the St. Augustine Cathedral asking the Tucson Diocese for asylum. She is in the country illegally as she fights for her daughter's freedom. She says her daughter has been in custody at the Eloy Detention Center for six months.

Herminia's daughter, Rosie, was one of the Dream 9 - a group of "Dream Act" students who crossed the border from Mexico into Nogales, Ariz., last year in protest of deportation policies.

The Tucson Diocese told News 4 Tucson that the Bishop has agreed to meet with Herminia on Wednesday. He has also talked to her on the phone at length. She opted to stay overnight locked inside the church.

"I don't want to go ... I want immigration to give me an answer. I want Rosie to come for me and say 'mommy take me home to my house' and so that our life is tranquil again. Our life is not going to be tranquil until this is resolved," Rojas told News 4 Tucson.

News 4 Tucson reached out to Immigration and Customs Enforcement on this story. We are waiting to hear back from ICE.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/mexican-nat...tucson-church/