Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico and Culture of Drinking

"In Mexico, the culture is very much a drinking culture. After a hard day at work, it is normal to end the workday by drinking beer. At social events - celebrations, spending time with family, visiting friends - it is commonplace to drink, for the men in particular. And drinking alcohol starts early for male Hispanics because as early as age 12, drinking alcohol is seen as a "rite of passage" to becoming a man.

"Also, in Mexico, traffic laws are quite different and the use of seatbelt restraints is almost unheard of. So, when you combine the Hispanic drinking culture with the lack of education on drunk driving prevention, you end up with tragic consequences."
    This is a quote from a Mexican lady on the MADD site. The article is very interesting and shows just WHY we have all these Hispanic DUI deaths and arrests.

I don't care what they do to themselves it's the innocent victims I worry about. I have family members that I worry about because of this issue. There was a Mexican man in Austin that had been arrested twice for DUI, but never jailed. He drove his jeep the wrong way on I.H.35 and had a head-on with a family of Quakers traveling in a minivan several of them were injured and the oldest son was killed. He is being charged with Capitol murder since it is the 3rd offence. I hope he gets a very long sentence.

The man, who killed a man and wife here in Nashville recently, had 14 PREVIOUS arrests....4 for DWI!!

From my experience living in Northern Va., the hispanic men would begin drinking around 7:00 a.m. How do I know? Because all of them in my complex would sit outside their townhouses and drink outside. This went on seven days a week. Of course living 15 - 20 to a house, they seemed to have a lot of free time