Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico Lake Pirate Shooting Story Questioned

Oct. 5, 2010
    Mexico Lake Pirate Shooting Story Questioned

Mexican DA "Not Sure" of Tiffany Hartley's Account That Husband was Shot in Head;

(CBS) Mexican officials and American authorities are still searching for the body 30-year-old David Hartley. The American tourist and his wife Tiffany Hartley were jet skiing on a lake that straddles the U.S. and Mexico when Tiffany says they were ambushed by gunmen.

But is that how it really happened?

"Early Show" co-anchor Erica Hill reports there are new questions about what happened that day. Police in Mexico want to know if what Tiffany Hartley says happened is actually the truth.

Hill said there's still no sign of American tourist David Hartley four days after he was reportedly shot in the head by suspected pirates on a lake along the Mexican border.

His wife, Tiffany, 29, made a desperate 911 call after reportedly racing to his aid, but says she was chased away by gunfire.

In a 911 call, Tiffany said she saw three boats. He is now presumed dead and his body has not been recovered.

And now Mexican authorities are questioning whether the attack took place at all. In a statement, Marco Antonio Guerrero Carrizales, district attorney for the Miguel Aleman Province, writes, "We are not sure. We are not certain that the incident happened the way they are telling us."

The district attorney questions why his body has not been recovered, particularly because they were told he was wearing a life vest and why there is no sign of his jet ski. In fact, the district attorney contends, no evidence exists that a crime was committed.

In response to these new questions by the district attorney, Tiffany Hartley said from McAllen, Texas, on "The Early Show" said she can understand the questions, but said the Mexican authorities have not been looking for him.

"As far as we know, we don't think they have been looking. And there is -- we understand the possibility that the people who did this probably have him. And that's why maybe they can't find him," she said.

Pam and Dennis Hartley, David's parents, said they need to get on the Mexican side of the border to look for their son.

Pam said, "There's been no searching on that side much the lake. I mean, we're pleading to Mexican president, to Governor Perry, to President Obama, to Hillary, help us bring our son -- Tiffany's husband --home. It's like we need to get over there and hunt for him. If nobody's hunting, how can he be found?"

As for Nikki, Tiffany's sister-in-law, she says she supports her "one thousand percent," in spite of the new questions being raised. She held Tiffany's hand throughout the interview.

"There's no doubt in our mind we stand behind her," she said. "She's just not a sister-in-law, she's a sister."

"Early Show" co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez asked Tiffany, "You were returning from a day of sightseeing with David when this happened. I know that you had lived in Mexico for three years before moving back to the U.S. a couple of months ago. Did you know that there had been a spate of robberies on the lake? And did you have any concerns about going out that day?"

Tiffany replied, "We had heard about the pirates, and them robbing fishermen and whoever were over there. But we hadn't heard anything for several months. So, no, we had no concerns whatsoever of going over there, living in Reynosa, I mean, you live there for two and a half years, and we're not people who, you know, blend in. We stand out. We don't blend in. And we lived there, and we lived a life of no fear. That we were not going to stop living our life and adventures. David loves the history. That's what he loves. And that's why we were there that day."

© MMX, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/ ... 8537.shtml
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

yes she was Just on foxnews . obama you are the President well i think you should do something about this .this is happen in mexico her Husband
    shot in the head .well do something . she is American .
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Early reports mentioned a witness.
    Colorado man apparently killed by Mexican pirates
    By Kirk Mitchell
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 10/02/2010 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 10/02/2010 09:08:11 AM MDT

Tiffany and David Hartley were days from moving back to Colorado when they took their ill-fated tour. Related
    Oct 3:
    Couple who were fired on in Mexican lake chose to live without fear, wife says
    Texas dentist recounts his run-in on binational lake
    Couple caught in war zone on border lakeOct 4:
    Texas police still waiting to find out whether pirates killed Colorado-born man
    Oct 1:
    Search resumes for US man shot in Mexican waters
    Search resumes for US man shot in Mexican waters
    Sep 30:
    Colorado native missing after ambush on Falcon Lake in Mexico

A Colorado man now living in Texas may have been killed by Mexican pirates who authorities said have tried to lay claim to a popular lake on the Texas border.

Berthoud native Tiffany Hartley said she and her husband, David, were on a sightseeing, personal-watercraft excursion Thursday on the Mexican side of Falcon Reservoir, straddling the border, when pirates in three speedboats began chasing them.

"We saw that they had guns, so we started racing away from them," Tiffany Hartley, 29, said in a phone interview from her home in McAllen, Texas.

As the couple fled about 2:30 p.m., the pirates opened fire with rifles, seeming to target her husband, she said. A bullet struck him in the back of the head and he splashed into the water.

Hartley described her efforts to rescue her husband, then the agony of having to leave him behind, and finally a harrowing race back to the U.S. side as the pirates trained their guns on her. She doubled back and tried to put her husband back on his craft. But, she said, her husband seemed limp and she saw a gunshot wound on his head.

"I tried pulling him up, but I couldn't," Hartley said in a shaky voice.

David Hartley is believed to have died. But when Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez learned of the shooting, there was little that he or other American law enforcement officers could do to investigate or retrieve the body unless it drifted 2 miles over to the U.S. side of the lake. They had to rely on Mexican authorities, who told him they couldn't respond because they discovered their boat's motor was missing.

Early doubts

At first, Gonzalez acknowledged, the story sounded so fantastic that he had his doubts about Tiffany Hartley's truthfulness. Had she staged the whole scenario to murder her husband?

But an independent witness came forward and described seeing a motorboat chase a woman into U.S. waters. When she made it to the shore, she ran up to a stranger's house, her body trembling in fear.
    "She was terrified. At this time, I can safely say she had nothing to do with her husband's death," Gonzalez said.

The Hartleys originally met in high school in Loveland. They had been married for eight years. About three years ago, they moved to Reynosa, N.M., also near the Mexican border, and five months ago to Texas, where David, 30, worked for a company that repaired fractured wells.

They were about a week away from moving back to Colorado after work slowed down in Texas, Tiffany Hartley said.

Before he left the state, David Hartley, a history buff, wanted to visit a Catholic church in Old Guerrero, a town that was submerged after a dam was built, his wife said. It was a 7-mile trip across the lake and into Mexico.

Warnings issued

The trip was ill-advised, Gonzalez said, because of a recent spate of robberies by Zetitas, younger members of a regional drug cartel. In April and May, the pirates robbed tourists on the lake, which is the site of nationally televised largemouth bass fishing contests. Falcon Reservoir, created by a dam on the Rio Grande, at times is filled with hundreds of fishing boats.

Gonzalez had been regularly appearing on national news programs in recent months warning people not to cross over to the Mexican side of the lake.

After visiting the church, which was submerged halfway up its front doors, the Hartleys began the return to the U.S. When her husband was shot, Hartley spun her watercraft around and returned to him as boats continued to speed toward her, she said.

The 105-pound woman immediately dived into the water and pulled her 250-pound husband to the side of her craft. There was a bullet hole in his head.

Just then, she said, one of the boats caught up to her with several men aboard and maneuvered to within 5 feet on the other side of her.

"They were talking to each other," she said.

Gonzalez said he thinks they were discussing what to do with her. The boat went back to the other boats, apparently so those aboard could consult with the others.

At that point, she said, she knew that in order to survive she had to abandon her husband. She quickly climbed aboard her craft and sped away.

She heard more gunshots. Bullets were whizzing by her head and striking the water on either side of her and in front of her.

Survival "a miracle"

"It's a miracle I'm even here," she said, crying on the phone.

A bass fisherman told investigators that one boat followed her well into U.S. territory, Gonzalez said.

"These guys don't care," he said.

FBI agents, Texas Rangers, state fish and wildlife officers, and sheriff's deputies searched for Hartley's body, but they are not lawfully allowed to venture into Mexican waters.

Gonzalez sought help from Mexican military officers at a nearby port authority, and they mobilized and headed to the area to launch a search. But they found that the motor had been removed from their boat.

"They are outgunned," Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez said Tiffany Hartley was sobbing when he met her Thursday afternoon. She repeatedly asked whether her husband's body had been found.

Gonzalez said the Hartleys should have known how dangerous it is on the border, where body parts are often strewn on the streets.

"When I asked if she knew how dangerous it was to go to Mexico, she quickly changed the subject," he said. "I didn't pursue it. I didn't want her to feel guilty."

Post librarian Vickie Makings contributed to this report. Kirk Mitchell: 303-954-1206 or kmitchell@denverpost.com

Read more: Colorado man apparently killed by Mexican pirates - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16232117#ixzz11UPcCJVZ
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16232117
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"When I asked if she knew how dangerous it was to go to Mexico, she quickly changed the subject," he said. "I didn't pursue it. I didn't want her to feel guilty."

That's the key phrase our own government should be sending as a travel advisory. Mexico is dangerous for Americans. Instead they ignore this and tell us that Europe is the problem.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by southBronx
    yes she was Just on foxnews . obama you are the President well i think you should do something about this .this is happen in mexico her Husband
    shot in the head .well do something . she is American .
    I saw her this morning too on Today. How sad. They killed her husband for a jet ski. That's what they were after because people out on jet skis don't carry a bunch of cash or expensive items. Sad to say, but I'm sure his body will never be recovered.

They were high school sweethearts and the entire Hartley family said, that Mexico was not doing enough.

Dixie

I saw them on Good Morning America....just turned on the tv and there they were. Makes sense that they wanted the Jet Ski....God only knows what they would have done to her if they had got to her.

Mexico is now the most dangerous country in the world and our border is wide open to them.

I'm thankful this story is getting the coverage it deserves....

texas state rep was just on foxnews and he said he believes her and said
    that he would not be surprised if the mexican cartel took both the body and the boat back to hide them so as to make it look like things didnt happen.

he said the mexican government wasnt doing enough to find the husband so that tiffany can have a proper funeral

Her family needs to sue the Mexican government, just like they do when one of their illegals dies of any cause in the U.S.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

I guess we don't have consulates that "patrol" Mexico like they have here.

its has been all over foxnews today with many people interviewed including the widow and the Mother of David Hartley. There is a witness who came forward stating they saw a boat chasing a person on a jet ski and the boat was firing at that person. This was well inside the US side of the lake. Mexico is not seriously looking for his body as they could care less. We need to go ahead and place Navy Seal patrol boats out there and let them go hunting as they are trained to do. Anybody gets in there way while looking for his body they just communicate in .30 caliber with them. I wrote to all my Senators, the President, Hillary Clinton, my state governor and Texas Governor, and demanded they tell Mexico that we are coming across the lake to conduct our own search and recover mission and if they try to interfere then deal with the might of the US Military. As a former military man myself I know full well our capabillities to get the job done.
    "Where is our democracy if the federal government can break the laws written and enacted by our congress on behalf of the people?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast