http://hosted.ap.org

Feb 22, 10:31 AM EST

Mexico nixes payment for county prisoner costs

PENDLETON, Ore. (AP) -- The Mexican consul general for Oregon says Umatilla County Sheriff John Trumbo's bill to cover the jail costs of illegal Mexican immigrants is unwarranted.

"It's unfounded," said Fernando Sanchez. "That's an expense that has to be covered by each government."

Trumbo sent the letter to Mexican President Vincente Fox on Feb. 9, asserting that Umatilla County spent $318,843 to house 360 illegal Mexican immigrants in 2005.

Trumbo said he did not expect a reply from Mexico, but Sanchez said he believes Fox will respond.

"I don't think any government should sanction or allow illegal activity to happen at their borders," Trumbo said. "The United States is my home, and specifically, Umatilla County is my home.

"These people have entered my home and committed crimes, and I don't like it."

Sanchez said Trumbo should recognize the contributions the Hispanic community makes to the county.

"The Mexican people contribute to the community through their work," Sanchez said. "They pay rent or own houses; they buy food in the community."

But Trumbo said he is concerned about a different portion of the local Hispanic community.

"Ninety-five percent of the Hispanic population here are working hard, paying their taxes and are good people," Trumbo said.

He said he worries about "those who sneak in and end up in jail, and our citizens are the ones who end up having to pay for their medical and dental and housing. Enough is enough."

Sanchez said if Trumbo wants funding for jail costs of illegal immigrants, "does he want Mexico to send its police there to take care of crime committed by Mexicans, too?"

Trumbo has been deluged with national interview requests since news of his demand got out.

Patty Carson, of Hermiston, said she is pleased to hear his message is spreading quickly.

She said she thinks all of Oregon's 36 sheriffs should do the same.

"I don't know how many other states are having the same problems, but if they are, they should send them, too," Carson added.