Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Mexico and others keep tabs at Democratic convention

Mexico and others keep tabs at Democratic convention
    12:08 PM Tue, Aug 26, 2008
    Todd J. Gillman
    Conventions attract party activists, fat cats, media types, protesters - and most of the diplomatic corps posted to Washington. Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright hosted a party for 100 or so diplomats in Denver to schmooze the folks who might be running this country in a few months.

One key player: Mexico's ambassador to the United States, Arturo Sarukhan, who'll also be in St. Paul next week for the GOP confab.

"The Mexican government is looking to see, in both conventions, points of view regarding immigration reform that are holistic, that make sense, and that are an obvious win-win for both countries," the ambassador said after sitting in on a forum on immigration policy in the next administration. He echoed the experts' assessment that Barack Obama and John McCain would both seek comprehensive reform, something his government strongly favors.

For Ambassador Sarukhan, the conventions offer a way to pack weeks of work into a few days.

"This is a microcosm of my daily work. I have meetings here with governors, and mayors and trade unions, and congressmen," he said, after a chat with Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy, a key player on immigration, and before a meeting with leaders of the Service Employees International Union, whose membership includes lots of Mexican émigrés. "I'll meet with businessmen, I will meet with NGOs, I will meet grassroots organizations."

And immigration is hardly the only issue. He cited free trade, the drug fight, and "how we fight new threats to security in the region."

"This is one way that Mexico ensures that it is present, that we have all our antennae up, and that we're picking up what's being discussed in both conventions," he said. "If we were a country that was 4,000 miles away on the other side of the Atlantic, maybe we wouldn't be as interested in following these issues closely. But we have a 3,000 km border with the United States, and as such, it behooves us to have a full understanding of the positions of the candidates, how the parties are moving, what are the some of the groups that are working with the parties and what their positions are."

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... bs-at.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"This is one way that Mexico ensures that it is present, that we have all our antennae up, and that we're picking up what's being discussed in both conventions," he said. "If we were a country that was 4,000 miles away on the other side of the Atlantic, maybe we wouldn't be as interested in following these issues closely. But we have a 3,000 km border with the United States, and as such, it behooves us to have a full understanding of the positions of the candidates, how the parties are moving, what are the some of the groups that are working with the parties and what their positions are."
    Oh BARF! He's here to make sure nothing endangers mexicos 2nd largest revenue source - remittances from mexicans living legally and illegally in the US! Never mind how the partys and politicians are moving, they will be moved by hundreds of millions of US citizen VOTERS, the majority who want ENFORCEMENT!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright hosted a party for 100 or so diplomats in Denver to schmooze the folks who might be running this country in a few months.
    Did I read this right? Albright schmoozing dips who may be running this country in a few months? I pray that this is only the writer's and editor's ineptitude or sloppiness, unless Madame Albright knows something we don't.
    Perhaps it should have said "schmooze with the folks".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"The Mexican government is looking to see, in both conventions, points of view regarding immigration reform that are holistic, that make sense, and that are an obvious win-win for both countries," the ambassador said after sitting in on a forum on immigration policy in the next administration.
    The ELITES have SOLD us out . HOLISTIC ? BITE ME What about the American Citizens you bunch of SOB'S ....
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

ELE

Mexico mind your own business!

The Mexican government as well as her citizens, need to stay out of our country's business and focus on there drug- ridden, corrupt- filled cess pool of our country!