Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico Says More Kids Crossing Illegally

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ ... 4-22-48-22

Apr 14, 10:48 PM EDT
    Mexico Says More Kids Crossing Illegally

By MARK STEVENSON
    Associated Press Writer

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- The number of children deported from Arizona after U.S. agents caught them crossing the border illegally or found them in the desert more than doubled in the first three months of 2006, Mexico's Interior Department said on Friday.

Most deportees are simply released by U.S. authorities at border crossings, but children are handed over directly to Mexico's child-welfare agency, giving Mexican authorities a much more precise count.

From January through March, Mexican authorities took charge of 3,289 deported minors at border crossings in the state of Sonora, across from Arizona, more than double the 1,566 deported in the same period of 2005.

The Interior Department statement did not give a reason for the increase in deportations of the children - who ranged in age from a few months to 17 - many of whom were found crossing on foot, alone or in the company of non-relatives.

However, some border analysts say they have witnessed what appears to be a general migrant rush to reach the United States. They say the migrants appear to be motivated by immigration bills under discussion in the U.S. Congress that could legalize some illegal migrants and increase border security.

In south-central Arizona, the busiest migrant-smuggling area, total detentions by the U.S. Border Patrol rose by more than 26 percent from Oct. 1, 2005, through early April, totaling 105,803 compared with 78,024 for the same period a year earlier. Along the entire border, arrests are up 9 percent in the same period.

Francisco Loureiro, the manager of an immigrant shelter in Nogales, Mexico, said that in March, 2,000 migrants stayed at the shelter - 500 more than last year.

Loureiro said he has not seen such a rush of migrants since 1986, when the United States allowed 2.6 million illegal residents to get American citizenship.

The Interior Department statement did not give a reason for the increase in deportations of the children - who ranged in age from a few months to 17 - many of whom were found crossing on foot, alone or in the company of non-relatives.
    Now is this the most pathetic story you've ever heard ?! Why do we send them back ????????????????????????

BECAUSE THIS IS NOT BRAZIL WHERE PEOPLE LITERALLY DUMP THEIR KIDS IN THE STREETS WHEN THEY DON'T WANT THEM, THAT'S WHY !!!!!!!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I've often wondered about the kids part.
    Last night at a local california supermarket an 18 year old Mexican fellow helped me at the self-checkout counter. I complimented him on his excellent manners and fine service and wished him and his family a happy Easter. He surprised me by saying everyone in his family was in Mexico. This young man spoke perfect English and was absolutely superb at his job. How did he come to be here I wondered. Maybe crossed the border all alone years ago? Could be one of the countless orphans from Mexico city?
    “Homeland Security? What Homeland Security ?”