Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico slams Georgia migrant law

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4921000.stm

Last Updated: Wednesday, 19 April 2006, 01:40 GMT 02:40 UK
    E-mail this to a friend Printable version
    Mexico slams Georgia migrant law
    Rally against illegal immigration staged in Atlanta, Georgia
    The issue has polarised opinion in the US
    The Mexican government has condemned a tough new immigration law passed in the US state of Georgia on Monday.

Presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said the legislation discriminated against Mexicans and that diplomats would monitor how it was applied.

The law, which will take effect next year, prevents illegal immigrants from receiving many social services.

It will also require police and employers to report undocumented workers to the Immigration Service.

Complex issue

The signing of the legislation comes amid deadlock in the US Congress about how to deal with illegal immigration, as well as nationwide protests by worried Latino groups.

"The referred legislation incurs discriminatory acts against the Mexican population and those of Mexican origin," Mr Aguilar said.

"It is a partial measure that fails to resolve the complex phenomenon of immigration between Mexico and the United States in an integral manner."

Since becoming Mexico's president in 2000, Vicente Fox has been pressing for reforms that would allow more Mexicans to work legally in the US.

'Not anti-immigrant'

Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue, who signed the bill, said it was intended to ensure that everyone who lives in Georgia abides by the laws there.

"It is our responsibility to ensure that our famous Georgia hospitality is not abused, that our taxpayers are not taken advantage of and that our citizens are protected," Mr Perdue.

"I want to make this clear: we are not, Georgia's government is not, and this bill is not anti-immigrant," Gov Perdue said.

The law, which will take effect in July 2007, will also impose prison terms for human trafficking and limit the services commercial companies can provide to illegal immigrants.

BBC correspondents say the move has come at a difficult time in the US as there have been country-wide protests over a federal immigration law currently being debated in the Senate.

"It is a punitive bill," said the president of the Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Sara Gonzalez.

"This is a very complicated issue, and I don't see any good coming out of this."

There are an estimated 11 million undocumented workers in the US.
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

Can you believe the balls of the Mexican Government

That this is even addressed by the Mexican Government --- UNBELIEVABLE!

At least Georgia has the right idea! More power to them! I hope that every state in the Union pulls the rug out from under our LAME Federal Government!~
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

"discriminates against Mexicans"

Why? Because they are the biggest nation to disrespect our laws, our people, our nation?

You couldn't write comedy as funny as the way the Mexican Officials behave if you tried.

WAAAA WAAAAA WAAAAA

You're going home Pals, so you might as well stop your baby crying and pack!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is a very complicated issue, and I don't see any good coming out of this."
    This has become the motto for illegal alien apologists. It's complicated or difficult, so lets not do anything.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

What a wimp George Bush is to let them run our country. I think Rolling Stone Magazine is correct, he is the WORST president our country has ever had.

As each day goes by things become even worse.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Shame on us. We don't want to provide food assistance, housing assistance, medical assistance and financial assistance to people who have entered this country illegally.

Where is Bush? Somebody needs to wake him up. You've got a foreign nation denouncing you for the disgraceful way you treat their citizens. Citizens that they don't even want.

Thank God for the Governor of Georgia for having the guts to do this.

Mexico is pissed at how we defend our nation. Put this one under the Who Cares file.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank goodness! There's at least one Governor in this country that has some sense!

I hope other states will start to adopt similar legislation. God knows we desperately need it in North Carolina!
    The number of my posts shouldn't determine or reflect my interest on the board. I don't post just to increase my ranking.

Time for Rick Perry of Texas to climb out of GWB's bunghole and follow this lead.
    SD Wheeler - Leader of the 2nd Great Texas Independence Revolution

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast