Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MORENO VALLEY: Man who killed sheriff’s dispatcher deported

BY BRIAN ROKOS
    STAFF WRITER
    March 21, 2014; 04:32 PM

Former Riverside County Sheriff's dispatcher Dominic Durden.

The undocumented immigrant who killed a Riverside County sheriff’s dispatcher in a 2012 traffic collision in Moreno Valley has been deported.

Juan Zacarias Tzun was put aboard a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Air Operations flight to his native Guatemala on Thursday, March 20, ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice said.

Tzun, who is about 33, pleaded guilty in 2013 to vehicular manslaughter without gross negligence, a misdemeanor.

“I feel ecstatic,” Dominic Durden’s mother, Sabine, wrote in an email. “And very grateful for all the support and love that helped me to get here. As a mother we try to protect our child from all harm. I couldn't prevent Dominic's death, but I could make sure that justice is served and my son can rest in peace.”

“I fought very hard to see this happen, and now I can start the healing process. Now I can continue to share and continue Dominic's legacy,” Durden wrote.

Since her son’s death, she has presented scholarships in Dominic’s name to emergency medical technician students at Moreno Valley College who are also dedicated volunteers.

On July 12, 2012, Tzun made a left turn in his pickup on Pigeon Pass Road in front of the motorcycle that Durden, 30, was riding to work. Durden died at the scene.

Tzun did not have a driver’s license and had two drunken-driving convictions.

Hundreds of people turned out for Durden’s funeral, where he was remembered as a past Moreno Valley volunteer of the year who hoped to become a sheriff’s aviator, friend, pilot, dancer, honor student at Canyon Springs High in Moreno Valley and mentor to new dispatchers.

Sabine Durden appeared at Tzun’s criminal and deportation hearings. Tzun left Durden sobbing when during his April 3, 2013, sentencing, he blamed God for the fatal collision.

After Superior Court Judge Raphael A. Arreola read 16 statements from Dominic’s friends and family members, he sentenced Tzun to 90 days in jail and 180 more in a work-release program. Tzun had credit for time served of 56 days and served 30 days more. He was released from jail May 2 and was eventually taken into Immigration custody.

http://www.pe.com/local-news/riversi...r-deported.ece
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Moving to new section Americans Killed By Illegals.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)