Like Tree3Likes

Thread: N.C. - Protestors want Coble to propose law to give citizenship to undocumented immig

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N.C. - Protestors want Coble to propose law to give citizenship to undocumented immig

Protestors want Coble to propose law to give citizenship to undocumented immigrants

Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:45 pm | Updated: 6:21 pm, Wed Aug 21, 2013.

By Sarah Newell Williamson
    news-record.com

GREENSBORO — About 50 people gathered Wednesday outside U.S. Rep. Howard Coble’s district office in Greensboro to ask Coble to support immigration reform that would give undocumented residents a chance at citizenship.

“We’ve got a traveling petition in support of immigration reform, and we’re trying to get as many people to sign it as possible,” said Carolyn Smith, state director for Working America, a nonprofit member organization associated with the AFL-CIO that represents the interests of non-union workers.

Coble’s representatives told the News & Record that he was visiting other parts of the district when the petitioners visited the local office.

Members of the State Employees Association of North Carolina, the N.C. State AFL-CIO, Teamsters Local 391, Guilford County Association of Educators, Immigrant Rights Working Group of Guilford County and the Greensboro NAACP also participated in the rally.

The groups want Coble to introduce legislation that provides citizenship for the millions of undocumented immigrants in the U.S., protect workers’ rights and fairly enforces the law.

An immigration bill that would have provided a path to citizenship was passed in the U.S. Senate in June, but was not approved in the House. Coble has previously said he is opposed to amnesty and supports securing the country’s borders.

Passing motorists honked their horns in support of the rally, while the group held signs reading, “no human being is illegal,” and “keep families together.”

“It’s time for (Congress) to overcome their fears and move forward with what’s right,” said Chip Roth, a representative of the Teamsters union. “The system is broken and is pulled down by exploitation.”

Undocumented workers often get paid well below minimum wage, he said, which is unfair to them. It also ultimately hurts other workers’ salaries, driving down pay for others.

Elizabeth Foster, president of the Guilford County Association of Educators and a special education teacher, said not providing a path to citizenship for illegal or undocumented residents is especially harmful to children.

“I have to lie and say, ‘you can be anything,’ and it makes me sad,” she said. “Without documentation and a pathway to citizenship, they can’t get a job, they can’t own a business. There’s no guarantee they can participate in the American Dream. I call on our congressman to support common sense reform so I can tell my students that you can achieve anything.”

Foster said she believes in a pathway to legal residency, one that does not include deportation.

Seydou Maikassoua, a native of Niger, spoke at the rally of problems he faces in acquiring legal immigration status that could eventually cost him his life. Maikassoua has been in the U.S. since 1999. In 2003, he was diagnosed with renal failure.

Although he’s received some treatment for the illness, he needs a kidney transplant. His name finally came up on the transplant list, but Maikassoua said he was told he was unable to get the kidney because he was required to have a Green Card.

Maikassoua has hired an attorney to help him attain legal immigration status, but has so far been unsuccessful.

http://www.news-record.com/news/loca...a4bcf6878.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oh look! The Greensboro News and Record dedicated the whole article to the pro illegal alien amnesty side once again and did not even bother to include an opposing view anywhere in the article... cough... excuse me I should say this propaganda piece since it is clearly not an article.

Way to go Sarah Newell Williamson. So unpleasant to see you spit on all of the ethics of journalism and throw any pretense of balance out the door.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Citizenship to these people is the goody bag, the ticket to get MORE. They need to be sent back where they came from I am sick of supporting them JMO

Oh boy, where to start?

“It’s time for (Congress) to overcome their fears and move forward with what’s right,” said Chip Roth, a representative of the Teamsters union. “The system is broken and is pulled down by exploitation.”
    No, Chip. The system is not broken. What's being broken and ignored are our immigration laws.

Undocumented workers often get paid well below minimum wage, he said, which is unfair to them. It also ultimately hurts other workers’ salaries, driving down pay for others.
    Yes, Chip. They often are taken advantage of in the wage department. But considering they SHOULD NOT BE HERE WORKING IN THE FIRST PLACE, I feel no sorrow or guilt for that. I just don't hire them. And Chip, I won't even mention the free health care, Eagle cards, etc... illegal aliens enjoy in this country at the expense of American workers and taxpayers.

Elizabeth Foster, president of the Guilford County Association of Educators and a special education teacher, said not providing a path to citizenship for illegal or undocumented residents is especially harmful to children.

“I have to lie and say, ‘you can be anything,’ and it makes me sad,” she said. “Without documentation and a pathway to citizenship, they can’t get a job, they can’t own a business. There’s no guarantee they can participate in the American Dream. I call on our congressman to support common sense reform so I can tell my students that you can achieve anything.”
    STOP pimping 'the children'. Like the 'race card' it ain't working for you anymore.
    And Elizabeth, let me tell you the story of Balwinder, and illegal alien from India who owns a profitable gas station/mini market, along with 2 other commerical buildings here in NC. He was arrested and held in an immigration detention facility in Georgia last year for about 6 months. Somehow, he was released, allowed to keep and maintain his business and commercial property AND purchase with CASH a very nice brick home with detached garage across the street from his business, where he now lives unencumbered and without fear. So don't tell the LIE that illegal aliens 'can't own a business and thrive in this country. There's absolute proof of it 200 feet away from me every day!

Maikassoua has been in the U.S. since 1999. In 2003, he was diagnosed with renal failure.

Although he’s received some treatment for the illness, he needs a kidney transplant. His name finally came up on the transplant list, but Maikassoua said he was told he was unable to get the kidney because he was required to have a Green Card.
    Maikassoua, perhaps the medical boat that comes around to your home country from time to time could assist you (gratis, of course). Meanwhile, those of us hard working Americans with health issues that we can't afford to address will bid you a hearty farewell and good luck as the door to the USA hits you in the ass on your way out.

Can you tell I'm fed up?

What is right would be to deport the greedy arrogant illegals. The system is fine. It says if you are illegal, you don't belong here and should be dported back to wherever you came from!

Although he’s received some treatment for the illness, he needs a kidney transplant. His name finally came up on the transplant list, but Maikassoua said he was told he was unable to get the kidney because he was required to have a Green Card."

We have enough of our own people on waiting lists for organs, we certaintly don't need competition for our very survival!