Like Tree3Likes

Thread: N.C. - Undocumented students demand in-state tuition

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N.C. - Undocumented students demand in-state tuition

Posted: Jan 01, 2014 6:57 PM PST Updated: Jan 01, 2014 7:09 PM PST
    by Eileen Park
    wncn

Protesters rallied outside Attorney General Roy Cooper's office to demand in-state tuition for undocumented students. Protesters rallied outside Attorney General Roy Cooper's office to demand in-state tuition for undocumented students.

RALEIGH, N.C. -

While many families were home enjoying the last of the holidays, undocumented students demanded lower tuition rates on the front steps of the attorney general's office Wednesday.

"One state, one rate" was the rally cry of students who gathered outside North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper's office Wednesday to demand in-state tuition rates for undocumented students.

"He's holding our diplomas hostage, so we're here today to remind him -- on the first day of 2014 -- that we're not forgetting," said NC Dream Team co-founder Viridiana Martinez. "He can't just remain silent on this issue."

The NC Dream Team is a youth-led organization that fights for the rights of undocumented immigrants in the state. Martinez said she's been campaigning for more than a month for undocumented students to be treated like any other in-state student.

"We're wondering wha the hold-up is with Attorney General Cooper," Martinez said. "He was requested an opinion on whether a student who holds DACA, Deferred Action from Childhood Arrivals, is able to obtain in-state tuition."

Keny Murillo, one of the main organizers of the movement, said he's working three jobs to pay for his out-of-state tuition at Wake and Durham Tech.

"It's so expensive. We just can't afford it," Murillo said. "The rate is so outrageous; we need in-state tuition now. We need Attorney General Roy Cooper to give a favorable opinion now."

Murillo said, ""I want to practice medicine here. This is my home; I don't want to go anywhere else."

The issue of whether undocumented students should be granted in-state tuition is hot topic across the country.

Virginia recently made national headlines after the State Council of Higher Education said DACA is not legal status. The council said DACA only defers action, meaning those granted the status are temporarily allowed to be in the United States. DACA does not make them legal residents.

That is the main point of contention -- the fine line between someone who legally immigrated to the United States and someone given the right to stay in the country temporarily.

WNCN reached out to Cooper's office for his take on the issue but he has not responded to the request.

http://www.wncn.com/story/24344236/p...ented-students
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

tracking the usurper-in-chief and on his trail
    I've been hearing that same old tired lyric for most of my life:

"What's mine is mine, and
    What's yours is mine if I can get it."

The tune changes from year to year, but the message stays the same.
    One man's terrorist is another man's undocumented worker.

Unless we enforce laws against illegal aliens today,
    tomorrow WE may wake up as illegals.

The last word: illegal aliens are ILLEGAL!

If they want the same benefits that US citizens are entitled to they need to get into the LEGAL immigration line.

April
    Chris Christie Gives Illegal Aliens Foothold in NJ Complete with in-state tuition

Chris Christie will never be president of America. This two-faced liar campaigned and won the Governorship of New Jersey by criticizing his opponent, John Corzine, for supporting licenses and in-state tuition for illegal aliens.

Now, Chris Christie wants to run for the position of president and he has just signed a bill that grants in-state tuition for illegal aliens.

This means that New Jersey taxpayers will now be forced to pay thousands of dollars in taxes each year to subsidize each illegal immigrant going to their colleges. Since New Jersey colleges fill up each year, this means that illegal aliens will displace American students who need those limited seats!

Forcing taxpayers to give in-state tuition subsidies to illegal aliens will only encourage more people to illegally immigrate to America and New Jersey.

Chris Christie is clearly a liar whom no voter can trust regardless of their position on in-state tuition for illegals.

Please review the bad news for Americans and good news for illegal alien invaders and then call Chris Christie to tell him that he will never become president of America because he just ended his political career by signing in-state tuition for illegal aliens into law.

Christie Gives Illegal Aliens Access to In-State Tuition
    http://www.alipac.us/content.php?r=2...-State-Tuition

Call Chris Christie and let him know how angry you are at 609-292-6000