New Jersey teen makes heartwrenching decision to stay behind as her mom faces deportation to Argentina

Carina Veronica Valdez self-deported she and daughter Victoria, but at last minute the girl opted to stay in U.S. with an aunt

By Erica Pearson / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, April 29, 2012, 6:48 PM.

A New Jersey ninth grader made the toughest decision of her life Sunday — she stayed behind while her mom headed to Kennedy Airport to be deported.

“I told her that I can’t get on the plane, said Carteret teen Victoria Valdez, choking back tears.

“My mom doesn’t want to but she doesn’t want to face the bad outcome that could happen,” said Valdez, who was born in Argentina.

“I’m really not going to risk leaving my life here, and going where I don’t know anybody.”

After Immigration and Customs Enforcement moved to deport both Victoria, 14 and her mom Carina Veronica Valdez, the elder Valdez signed a self-deportation agreement called voluntary departure.

Her mom bought tickets for the two of them to leave at 8 p.m., to comply with ICE’s deadline.

But Victoria, who left Argentina for New Jersey when she was three, said she decided to stay behind with her aunt.

Immigrant students flooded Twitter to urge the feds to allow both to stay on Sunday.

ICE did not immediately return a request for comment.

When Victoria and her mom entered the country, Argentines did not need a visa to visit America. They were supposed to only stay for 90 days, but never left. The policy changed in 2002.

The family says Immigration and Customs Enforcement flagged them last December after mom Carina Veronica Valdez filed a restraining order against Victoria’s father. He has since been deported.

New Jersey teen makes heartwrenching decision to stay*behind as her mom faces deportation to Argentina * - NY Daily News