Like Tree2Likes

Thread: N.M. - Young immigrants cautioned to apply for Deferred Action program after election

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N.M. - Young immigrants cautioned to apply for Deferred Action program after election

Adele Melander-Dayton | The New Mexican
    Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012

Some young undocumented immigrants might wait to see whether President Barack Obama is re-elected in November before applying to his Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

On Thursday evening, more than 100 people gathered at Somos Un Pueblo Unido for an informational community forum on the program — enacted under an executive order — which provides temporary relief from deportation and work authorization for qualified young immigrants. The government began accepting Deferred Action applications Aug. 15.

The forum, the second this week at Somos, was presented by New Mexico DREAMers in Action. N.M. DIA is a student-led group that advocates for general immigration reform, with a special focus on Deferred Action and the DREAM Act — legislation that would provide a conditional path to citizenship. The group is affiliated with United We Dream, a national network of youth-led immigrant organizations.

Luzhilda Campos is an activist with N.M. DIA and a student at the Santa Fe Community College, where she completed her associate degree in psychology, human services and Spanish language. Campos, 23, moved to Española with her family when she was 3. She’s also an undocumented immigrant.

Campos first became interested in immigration activism when she applied for college a few years ago. Without a Social Security number, Campos was ineligible for federal student aid. “Even if everything else is perfect, grades, community involvement, without those nine digits, you’re stuck,” Campos said. Then, her grandmother became sick with cancer.

“When you face an illness like that, you realize there’s no way to pay, no insurance to help,” Campos said. “Education is one thing, it’s an opportunity. But when a loved one’s life is hanging, it really hits home. … We live in fear of not being able to provide for our families.”

New Mexico Dreamers in Action’s presentation began with an introduction from Campos and Juan Carlos Deoses, another student organizer. Twenty-three years old, with a buzz cut, baggy jeans and shiny black shoes, Deoses enthusiastically welcomed the assembly and explained the group’s story in Spanish. N.M. DIA was formed just over a year ago, following a United We Dream convention in Las Vegas, Nev.

Deoses started his activism as a community organizer with Somos Un Pueblo Unido. He’s a graduate student at New Mexico Highlands University, studying social work, government and community organizing. Altogether, Deoses estimates that N.M. DIA has 500 members throughout the state, with primary chapters located in Santa Fe, Las Vegas and Albuquerque.

“Our message is that we’re New Mexicans, we’re immigrant students, and we view this as an education issue,” Deoses explained in an interview. “It’s students who will benefit [from Deferred Action]. And we’ll contribute back to the economy as bilingual professionals.”

The second half of Thursday’s forum was devoted to a detailed explanation of Deferred Action, and how and when to apply, presented by Allegra Love, an immigration attorney with Victoria Ferrara’s Santa Fe law firm. Dressed in beads and cowboy boots, Love’s lighthearted approach tempered the serious, technical information she delivered about Deferred Action. Love gave her PowerPoint presentation in English while Campos translated, though she answered questions in Spanish.

To qualify for Deferred Action, individuals must have arrived in the U.S. before their 16th birthday, be at least 15, and have resided in the country continuously for five years, between June 15, 2007 and June 15, 2012. Applicants must provide proof of continuous residency, through school or medical records, bank accounts, taxes or bills. In addition, applicants must be under 31 years of age as of June 15 of this year, and they must be currently enrolled in school, have graduated from high school or received a GED, or be honorably discharged from the military. Individuals who have been convicted of a serious crime (a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more misdemeanors) will not be accepted into the program.

If accepted under Deferred Action, undocumented youth are granted temporary legal status in the U.S. Accepted individuals can also apply for work permits.

Love made sure to note that Deferred Action is a program, not a law, and that it can be revoked at any time. Love explained many of the finer points of Deferred Action, like the stipulation that applicants must reapply after two years. She said that applicants might want to wait to send in their paperwork until after the presidential election in November.

“A new president could cancel the program,” Love told the group. “And you’ll lose some money, but more importantly, you’ll have given all your information to the U.S. government, and they can turn it over to ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement].”

Love said that applicants who have used fake papers to work in the U.S. need to be especially careful. She explained that while her office hasn’t decided how to handle cases like that, they’re cautioning those individuals to wait to apply. Love acknowledged her bias as an attorney, but advised the assembly to at least consult with an immigration lawyer before submitting their applications for Deferred Action.

After the presentation, a long line formed, waiting to ask Love individual questions. Many students attended Thursday’s presentation, including 15-year-old Yalin Sanez. Sanez is a student at Capital High School and attended the forum with her mother and sister.

“I just wanted to know what we could do to stay here, for a better life and to make the U.S. a better place,” Sanez explained. Sanez came to Santa Fe when she was 3, and said she thinks she’ll wait a while before applying for Deferred Action. Her plans for the future include attending college. “I have hope, and I feel a little nervous,” Sanez said.

“I’m very grateful for what we got,” Campos said, “but this isn’t ‘it.’ There’s a lot more to be done: Deferred Action only covers a small population of undocumented immigrants. … It’s crucial to continue mobilizing. Our aunts, grandmothers and cousins can’t qualify. We need to unite as a community for comprehensive immigration reform.”

One Old Vet

Young immigrants cautioned to apply for Deferred Action program after election - The Santa Fe New Mexican
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I know a Registered Nurse who worked in the Santa Fe hospital. She said the money was good, but the working environment was terrible unless you spoke fluent Spanish, which is the predominant language spoken in Sante Fe.

She refused to speak Spanish, and was ostracized to the point she had to leave.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

She refused to speak Spanish, and was ostracized to the point she had to leave.
    Over and over I have heard stories from woman that had worked in canneries, men in construction etc. that were pushed out of their jobs by Hispanic's. They banded together speaking only Spanish and intemidating the American workers. They made it so uncomfortable for English speaking American citizens until they forced them out of those jobs. Then their activists turn around and spout that they are doing jobs Americans won't.

don't hand me that. That company should have been close down .& as for obama he is Not going to get is so start
    packing your bad .
    No amnesty or dream act

“It’s students who will benefit [from Deferred Action]. And we’ll contribute back to the economy as bilingual professionals.”
    First, the deferred action can also be used by uneducated laborers. The "best and brightess" argument is dishonest.

Second, if it were'nt for the invasion from Spanish speaking countries, there wouild be limited need for bilingual services.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

No American citizen should be forced tp speak a foreign language in their own country unless they are dealing with people internationally in a job. I myself had to work for 8 years having to listen to spanish all day long and it drove me insane. It made me feel like I left my own counry. It was the strangest feeling and one I never imagined I would have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara View Post
    No American citizen should be forced tp speak a foreign language in their own country unless they are dealing with people internationally in a job. I myself had to work for 8 years having to listen to spanish all day long and it drove me insane. It made me feel like I left my own counry. It was the strangest feeling and one I never imagined I would have to deal with.
    Kiara
    you are right we should not be forced to speak a foregin language we are In our our Country
    they should be forced to speak English I listen to this all day in the store On the street
    they don't like our way get the hell out that it but don't for get Obama
    No amnesty or dream act