Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Napolitano derails GOP measure on border security

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/border/126724

Published: 04.28.2006

Napolitano derails GOP measure on border security
    Governor warns Republicans to heed her on bill

By Howard Fischer
    CAPITOL MEDIA SERVICES
    "Everybody, including the governor, has been saying they want a package,"
    Ken Bennett
    Senate president
    PHOENIX — Gov. Janet Napolitano launched a pre-emptive strike Thursday at plans by Republican leaders to send her a single comprehensive border security measure and dare her to veto it.

In a letter to the GOP leaders late Thursday, Napolitano warned them not to send her any package that includes a provision to let police arrest those in this country illegally on charges of trespass. She vetoed such a plan earlier this month.

Napolitano accused the lawmakers of playing "political games on immigration" and "bumper-sticker approaches and meaningless legislation." And just so the message was not lost, she spelled it out, saying "if another unacceptable trespass provision is included in the bill you are considering, please know that I will veto it."

But Senate President Ken Bennett was undeterred, saying the package of issues — including some she already has vetoed — will proceed. And Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, said if she vetoes this plan he will put it on the November ballot. That's the same ballot where Napolitano will be standing for re-election.

The governor, however, said his threat proves Republicans "are more interested in politics than in real solutions."
    The plan, to be debated Monday by a House panel, includes:
    ● A mandate to station National Guard troops in Southern Arizona, vetoed earlier this year.
    ● Funds for border communities for police, prosecution and jail costs.
    ● Fines against companies that knowingly hire undocumented workers.
    ● Financial penalties against cities and counties with policies barring police from questioning people about their immigration status.
    ● Funding for a ground radar system to spot people crossing the border illegally.
    ● A previously vetoed measure to let police charge those in this country in violation of federal law with the state crime of trespass.
    On that last point, Bennett said this time legislators intend to make the offense a felony, rather than a misdemeanor as in the previously vetoed plan. He said that addresses objections from some, including Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever, that police and prosecutors won't bother to investigate misdemeanors, much less prosecute them.
    "Everybody, including the governor, has been saying they want a package," said Bennett.

For example, when Napolitano vetoed the trespass bill earlier this month, she reminded lawmakers of her own $100 million border security plan. "Three months later you still have not acted upon this comprehensive approach," the governor wrote.

Rep. Linda Lopez, D-Tucson, said the Republican plan is one-sided, and political.

"This is another attempt on the part of Republican leadership to try to back the governor into a corner, to try to make her look bad on immigration issues," she said.

Lopez, the assistant House minority leader, said a comprehensive plan means state action where appropriate, like border radar, but with the federal government having primary responsibility for securing the border.
    Napolitano, in her letter to lawmakers Thursday, said their plan also ignores legal and practical objections.

For example, she said it is illegal for Arizona to make it a state crime to be in this country in violation of federal law. The governor also said law enforcement agencies urged her to veto the measure.

"I hope you will listen to the men and women on the front lines who understand what enforcement measures will actually help solve this issue and work with me to adopt real reform that can actually become law and be enforced," Napolitano said.

But Pearce said the views of police chiefs and unions do not represent the desire of rank-and-file officers to have a tool to use to stop, question, detain and arrest people who are in this country illegally.

"Everybody, including the governor, has been saying they want a package,"
    Ken Bennett
    Senate president
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

IL: "The Most Corrupt State in The Country outside of Mexico"
    Just another lying Liberal Bitch.

---------------------------------------------

Guess you guys fixed the Avatar bug problem. Don't you just love my new avatar?
    "IMPEACH JORGE BUSH NOW!!"

I say send her the bill, let her veto it and show her true colors, then try to over ride said veto....at least it would make NATIONAL HEADLINES, and hopefullyy ruin governor's career.

Pinto Bean
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

I hate to be the one to tell her, but the lawmakers are on solid ground -- she's engaging in treason ... they should vote to impeach her on the grounds of treason

Arizona needs a new governor and Senator ...
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

She is the most evil "B" in the world next to Hillary. I lived in AZ for 9 years - as soon as we OVERWHELMINGLY passed prop 200 she was making statements that she would stop it. Personally, I saw so much pro-mexican agenda that I am convinced she is getting money or land (or both) from Mexico.
    She isn't even honest with herself - just admit you're gay. Stop the charade.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    She is the most evil "B" in the world next to Hillary. I lived in AZ for 9 years - as soon as we OVERWHELMINGLY passed prop 200 she was making statements that she would stop it. Personally, I saw so much pro-mexican agenda that I am convinced she is getting money or land (or both) from Mexico.
    don't tell me she's another Hillary. I feel sorry for the people of Arizona with the likes of her and McCain
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    don't tell me she's another Hillary. I feel sorry for the people of Arizona with the likes of her and McCain
    She's worse than Hillary. Hillary at least TRIES to flip-flop on issues for popularity - Miss Janey Govvy-poo says flat out "I don't care what you vote for - I will override it every chance I get".....
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Governor Napolitano is up for reelection this year.

Voters of Arizona, please vote for a better candidate for governor this year.

I am voting for Don Goldwater for Az governor

www.goldwater4governor.org

Quote Originally Posted by againstillegals
    I am voting for Don Goldwater for Az governor

www.goldwater4governor.org
    I hope he wins, I think he's an advocate for state's rights and he is defintely for securing the borders ... Representative Russell Pearce needs an allie

anybody know about Texas and New Mexico?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast