Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New York Will Let Illegal Immigrants Get Driver's Licenses

http://www.nysun.com/article/63115

Illegal immigrants in New York will be allowed to obtain New York State driver's licenses under a new policy that the Spitzer administration is expected to announce shortly, a source said.

Starting in 2008, the Department of Motor Vehicles will accept foreign passports and birth certificates from immigrants as proofs of identification for new license applications. Immigrants will no longer need to provide legal status paperwork or a Social Security card, the source said.

The changes could not be immediately confirmed by the Spitzer administration.

County clerks around the state came to Albany yesterday to meet with officials from the Department of Motor Vehicles to discuss the new policy, according to the source, who said the commissioner, David Swarts, briefed the Bloomberg administration.

During last year's gubernatorial campaign, Mr. Spitzer said he would permit illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses, arguing that banning them from driving worsened the lives of hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers without adding to security.

"The facts show that restricting immigrants's access to driver's licenses does nothing to improve security," a spokeswoman for Mr. Spitzer, Christine Anderson, told the Associated Press in October. "All it does is drive immigrants into the shadows, creating a class of people with no public records."

Opponents of the proposed changes said restrictions on giving licenses to illegal immigrants help to prevent identity theft and thwart terrorist attacks. They note that the September 11, 2001 plane hijackers had at least 35 licenses, which helped them to rent cars and open bank accounts.

Since the September 11 attacks, state governments have expanded driver's license identification requirements and many have begun preparing for the implementation of the Real ID Act of 2005, which requires states to adopt national standards for driver's licenses by the end of 2009.

New York is one of more than 30 states to verify the Social Security numbers of driver's license applicants.

In 2002, Mr. Pataki issued an executive order that required driver's license applicants to submit Social Security numbers to prove they were legal residents or to provide proof that they were not eligible for a Social Security number.

In 2004, to comply with an executive order issued by Mr. Pataki, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles began sending out warning letters to New Yorkers with licenses whose Social Security numbers did not match federal data.

About 58% of the 600,000 individuals who received the letter verified their Social Security numbers. Those individuals who did not verify their numbers will be able to get a legal license by December, the source said.

Welcome aboard nyctech! Thanks for the info.

An FYI for you folks in NY considering such thing... here in my state (OR) we are one of the 10 or 12 that DO issue DLs to illegals. DON"T DO IT!
    In so doing, the state government will set in motion a series of events which are extremely hard to reverse. I liken it to volunteering oneself to be the target for all ID theft and related crimes. Oh, and the more practical and tangible immediate result will be that NY will become a relocation magnet for illegal aliens as well.

Good luck NY. After 9/11 we'd all like to have believed that insane policies like the above were going away. But, apparently, the political machinery in NY state seems intent on Open Borders regardless of the welfare of it's citizenry.

The below video shows why the above policy is so very wrong:

http://hotair.com/archives/2006/05/17/connect-the-dots/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think another Alipac notice should be created so we can hand it out to all illegals informing them of the "free for all" in NY.
    "NY is your golden sanctuary city, all are welcome regardless of immigration status or criminal record"

Edit: Wow I just checked the illegal alien forums and they are going nuts over the proposal. There just might be massive migration to NY with this news.

This is complete madness and these people should be recalled and thrown out of office.

Americans wake up and take your country back, now is the time to speak out and say NO!!!

---------------------- RED ALERT NOW"-----------------------
    ALL HANDS ON DECK STOP THE..

DREAM ACT" "NOW"
    NEW POSTING TREAD FOR RED ALERT (TUESDAY9/18 )
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=83407
    CONTACT INFORMATION FOR SENATORS , NEWS, RADIO, ECT.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... 761#384761
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Glad you're here with us today SOSAD. Hope you're feeling better.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Glad you're here with us today SOSAD. Hope you're feeling better.
    Thanks "Phred" I am going to stick with it as long as I can!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Glad you're here with us today SOSAD. Hope you're feeling better
    I feel for ya SoSad, every time I read one of these news stories I get sick too.

Here is what I do not understand. When a city tries to fight illegal aliens, they are told by a judge that it is not their right-it can only be handled on a federal level.

However, when these cities/states violate federal immigration laws by becoming sanctuary cities and providing benefits, id, etc. How come they are not in violation of federal law?

If using this "federal" argument one way "works", how come it is not used the other way? I know that Bush would not have the AG go after sanctuary cities, etc., but how come no one has gone to court using the argument the illegals all use on these cities trying to fight illegals?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger
    Glad you're here with us today SOSAD. Hope you're feeling better
    I feel for ya SoSad, every time I read one of these news stories I get sick too.

WB Sosad! And welcome nyctech Here's a comment that was posted on the article along with a valid question; what does NY State accept as ID for Voter Registration?

"The DMV" as Gatekeeper...Heaven Help Us
    Reader comment on: Spitzer Policy Will Let Illegal Immigrants Get Driver's Licenses

Submitted by OCULUS, Sep 21, 2007 09:31

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, or have sat through too many late-night TV monologues where DMV was punch line, but this is unacceptable. I hesitate to ask where our State Homeland Security leadership is (see: Bruno Imbroglio) but this move stikes me as another mindless Democrat fillip to the huddled masses.

Some enterprising reporter ought to do some research on the immigrant "community leaders" who have long fronted for the DMV to help foreign-language immigrants get licenses. The DMV sees It as a convenient form of "bundling."

Question: Is a Driver License a primary form of identification for registering to vote?
    http://www.nysun.com/comments/39645

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast