Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

North Carolina: City recruits bilingual workers at job fair

http://www.herald-sun.com/durham/4-727536.html

City recruits bilingual workers at job fair

BY KELLY HINCHCLIFFE : The Herald-Sun
    khinchcliffe@heraldsun.com
    Apr 24, 2006 : 11:59 am ET

DURHAM -- Firefighter Gerry Mora was on the scene of a car accident last week on Interstate 85 where a woman and three young children were "beat up pretty bad" after their car turned over several times.

When medics needed to get critical information from them, Mora was able to do what no one else at the scene could -- communicate with the victims.

Out of 36 firefighters at Durham Fire Department Station 2, Mora is the only one who is fluent in both Spanish and English, he said.

On Sunday, Mora attended the Durham Public Safety Job Fair for Bilingual Recruitment at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church. His goal was to recruit more people like himself who can speak two languages.

"There aren't enough of us," he said.

As he stood by a table full of information about being a firefighter, Mora spotted the family he helped last week. The young boy still had a pretty bad bump on his head, but the family seemed well, Mora said.

He also talked with the father, who was not involved in the accident but arrived on the scene later.

"When the father showed up, he was a mess when he saw his family beat to a pulp," Mora recalled.

Being able to communicate with the family during a life-threatening situation "came in pretty handy," Mora said.

The job fair included representatives from the Durham Police Department, Durham 911, EMS and Human Resources consultants from the City of Durham, according to Katushka Olave who helped organize the fair.

"This is to help [the Hispanic community] navigate how the system works," Olave said.

Job fair attendants also got information on how to protect themselves from identity theft, how to protect their homes from fire and burglary, how to properly install automobile child safety seats and what to expect when calling 911.

Tyran Fennell, a human resources consultant for the city, handed out employment applications to anyone who stopped by her table.

"We're trying to reflect [Durham's] diverse population in our workforce," she said.

Durham 911 training coordinator Mavis "Z" Galantis tried to inform children as well by handing out coloring books explaining how to use 911.

Out of about 40 employees at Durham 911, only three are bilingual, Galantis said. More Spanish-speaking staff is needed.

"We don't have a limit," she said. "If everyone in our agency was bilingual, that would be wonderful."

Her agency has been moving that direction by bringing in a Spanish instructor to teach the employees for two hours, twice a week, she said.

"Nothing replaces having someone right there that speaks Spanish," Galantis said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here's an idea...LET THEM LEARN ENGLISH!!!!!!! Why are we burdened with teaching them anything???? It's getting (gotten) absurd!

"Nothing replaces having someone right there that speaks Spanish," Galantis said.
    Correction - nothing replaces having someone right there needing help that speaks ENGLISH! Enough already.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yeah...I am sorry, buy the onus is on them to learn English not the other way around. This is so insane, upside down, and inside out.

Because of my situation to my community I am learning spanish. Not a big deal really. So why in the heck can't they learn English. Is their IQ too low to do this? Seriously! Why do they refuse to learn the language.

Learning English was a job that Americans did do. Do you hear that Presidente? Little tiny innocent Americans learned english. It was one of their first jobs along with learning to walk. How come the Central Americans REFUSE to learn it? Maybe it takes some education which is beyond these welfare sucking leeches. Oh yeah, you can't be a victim if you have some accountability can you...
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

I agree--learn English. I am bilingual (English and Spanish). I figured that it would be job security for me to know another language. Unfortunately, it is true. I must say this, the students in my class are very eager to learn English. They know they have to learn English in my class. I will admit that it does make it easier for me to communicate with the ones that know very little English. I bring them up to speed and they learn the language fast. My partner teacher does not know any Spanish and she gets frustrated when they don't understand. We are both totally against illegals but what are going to do? I'm sure I have some in my class. Most were born here, but I checked all the parents and there is only ONE parent that was born here, the rest are all from Mexico. I suppose they are all anchor babies. I encourage the parents to learn English. The ones that know some English are embarrassed to speak it. I tell them not to be.

The more I see, the more fed up I get, but I love my job.

I was learning Spanish up to about a year ago, but I stopped. I got sick of it after hearing it so much and watching the country go down the tubes. I just can't bring myself to go back to the lessons. I feel almost like I'm being forced against my will. I am sick of all this pandering to these people when they don't even like us and are sucking the ever-loving life and soul out of this nation.

If anybody wants to talk with me, I'm afraid it'll have to be in English.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wear Black Armbands on Cinco de Mayo!

Like I've said---English is my second language---I learned English---they should too! I too am sick and tired of pandering to Mexicans and Latins!

I too have given up learning any more Spanish---I know a great deal, but when I see Mexicans bumbling around in airplanes, buses, grocery stores, etc., I no longer help them out by speaking to them in Spanish when asked a question in Spanish!

In addition, I have visited Mexico as a tourist for close to two decades---NO MORE--I will no longer have anything to do with the Mexican Economy, or it's people. The straw that broke the camel's back was the Illegal Protests on our streets. I will not spend any more of my dollars financing their mentality----ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I encourage all of you who read this post to agree to BOYCOTT MEXICO, and ALL MEXICAN GOODS (INCLUDING TEQUILA), until this immigration issue is addressed to our satisfaction!

Here is something we can do to make a point---WEAR BLACK ARMBANDS ON CINCO DE MAYO (5th of May) to show that you are sick and tired of Illegal Immigration---GOOD IDEA?('')
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!