NYPD Commissioner expresses 'concerns' about immigrant ID card program

Even as immigrants push the City Council to move the program forward, Bill Bratton said he's worried about the validation process for the cards.

BY THOMAS TRACY , ERIN DURKIN
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, May 1, 2014, 9:47 AM

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton is 'concerned' that ID cards for immigrants won’t be tamper-proof.

As immigrants urged the City Council to create a municipal photo ID card, Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said Wednesday that he has “concerns” about the program.

Bratton said he supports the general concept of an ID card, but that it would be a challenge to make it tamper-proof.

“Certainly, we would have concerns as to the validation process going forward,” he said. “The devil is going to be in the details.”

As he spoke, the Council heard testimony from supporters of the cards, which would be available to undocumented immigrants.

Esther Sanchez, 42, a Mexican immigrant in Queens, said she’s been turned away from hospitals with her three autistic kids and denied entry to their school because she doesn’t have valid ID.

“This ID would change my life, because as a mother I’ve experienced discrimination,” she said. “After so many years of living here, I will finally feel that I’m a part of this city.”

Advocates said transgender people, the elderly, New Yorkers who don’t drive, and the homeless could also benefit from the cards.

Bishop Orlando Findlayter - the Brooklyn clergyman sprung from jail after Mayor de Blasio called the NYPD to inquire about his traffic arrest - also made an appearance to plug the plan.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...#ixzz30ZfsTnr9