http://ocregister.com/ocregister/hom...le_1105471.php

In Good Friday procession, Diocese of Orange bishops examine church's role regarding illegal immigration.

By ANN PEPPER
The Orange County Register

Catholic Diocese of Orange Bishops Dominic Luong and Jaime Soto picked up a large wooden cross and led approximately 200 worshippers through the rain on Good Friday to pray at the Stations of the Cross, dedicating the somber rite to a humane resolution to the debate over illegal immigration.

"At a time when so much attention is being given to immigrants and to immigration reform in our country, we are called ... to continue to be a church that stands with those who suffer and speaks out on behalf of those who suffer and to walk with them as we do now at the Stations of the Cross," Soto prayed Friday at St. Callistus Church in Garden Grove before a congregation of Vietnamese, Hispanic, Filipino and other residents.

While all Catholics do not support the church's stance, the Lenten observance marked one of the most vigorous recent statements the Diocese of Orange has made on the polarizing issue.

For centuries Catholics have dedicated their prayers as they walked the stations or the Way of Sorrows. The 14 stops depict the last hours in the life of Jesus Christ, whom Christians revere as the son of God who sacrificed his life as their spiritual savior.

This Good Friday dedication is particularly timely, Luong said, given the immediacy of the debate on illegal immigration and Christ's example of compassion.

"When we're going to celebrate the Passion and death of Christ, it is a good time for us to be in solidarity on behalf of those who are struggling to earn their living, the poor and those who are here illegally, but who are trying still to earn their living in the proper way."

Luong said he wanted to use the occasion to awaken Orange County's Vietnamese Catholics to remember that they too are immigrants.

"There are not too many people here who don't have roots in other countries," Luong said. "But we forget."

A March statement by the California Catholic Conference of Bishops called on people of faith to "welcome the strangers among us as our neighbors" and implored legislators to pass a law that "protects human dignity and promotes the common good.

"In light of the Gospel, we call for an answer that is humane, realistic and responsible while also serving our nation's economic and security needs."

On April 7, the Senate failed to complete work on immigration legislation before recessing for two weeks. Republicans and Democrats blamed each other for the lack of action on the bill.

Not all Catholics agree that their church should be involved in the debate.

"I'm definitely opposed to it," said Barry Zanck, 50, a mortgage banker, lifelong Catholic and a member of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church in Irvine.

"We all want utopia. And I support (the church's) ideals, but I don't believe they are representing both sides of the political spectrum. Therefore I am cautious and guarded when I hear them say they are praying for this because the Catholic Church tends to slide toward the left.

"Why aren't we praying for how Mexico treats immigrants to their country?" said Zanck, who has volunteered building homes in Mexico.

The Catholic Church is "always the first with this hue and cry about separating church and state. But the Catholic churches I've gone to seem to take this liberal line on most politics."

Rita Banuelos, 54, a Fullerton mother of two and a former Catholic who attends Calvary Chapel, also feels the church should step back.

"I can see they should be compassionate about it and I am too. But if you break the law, you should be accountable for your actions," Banuelos said. "As a Christian, we are to obey the law. And that's from God's mouth."

Even some worshippers at the Good Friday service were conflicted.

"I believe in the law, but I also believe in helping people," said Barbara Reyes, 66, of Garden Grove. "I don't know what I think about this."

Others were joyous in their support of the dedication.

"This is what the word 'Catholic' means - universal," said Alex Rivas, 71, of Santa Ana. "That means there is no border, no race, no color, no gender in Christ. We have to live that life. When we live that life, then there will be peace on earth."

The Catholic Church has long been an advocate for the suffering, the poor and the marginalized, Bishop Soto said. "It is a timely issue for the church and normally these days of Holy Week are when the church is called upon to ... recognize the crucified Christ in those who suffer around us," he said.

The Rev. Tuyen Nguyen, pastor at St. Callistus, stood in front of the church beneath a banner written in English, Spanish, Vietnamese and Tagalog and closed the service saying, "There are no strangers in America. Look at this banner in four languages. Thank you for walking the stations with us in the rain. It was very moving."