Petition asks Cumberland County to rethink driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants

By Don E. Woods | For NJ.com
on September 10, 2015 at 7:35 AM, updated September 10, 2015 at 7:59 AM

BRIDGETON - Cumberland County freeholders made a mistake by supporting legislation that would make undocumented immigrants eligible to driver legally in New Jersey, according to an online petition that is accepting signatures from local residents.

Assemblyman Sam Fiocchi (R-1) and Cumberland County Freeholder Jim Sauro created the petition. Both men are running as Republicans for New Jersey General Assembly for the First Legislative District.

"By doing this, you're telling all of those people who did it the right way that you didn't have to do it," Sauro said. "What's the point of being a U.S. citizen when we're just going to give you the rights anyway."

Fiocchi and Sauro intend to bring the petition to the Sept. 22 freeholder meeting.

Sauro was the only freeholder to vote against a resolution when it was approved on Aug. 25. The resolution supports legislation (A1235/S1696) issuing a driving privilege card to undocumented immigrants. Freeholders approved the resolution last month 4-1, with freeholders Carmane Daddario and Darlene Barber absent from the meeting.

Both legislative bills were introduced into the respective transportation committees in 2014 and have remained there ever since.

According to Freeholder Thomas Sheppard, opponents to the idea are looking at the issue wrong.

"I just hope people, when they are considering the issue, they don't confused with the issue of immigration and the issues of drivers licenses," said Sheppard, a Republican. "They are two different issues."

The ability for immigrants to legally drive will make roads safer and help make the individuals more accountable, according to Sheppard. The lack of public transportation in rural Cumberland County also leads to the need for individual transportation methods.

According to Fiocchi, because immigration is a national issue, he would rather see something done on the federal level instead of on the state level.

"I think what this says is you're condoning illegal immigration," Fiocchi said about the resolution.

Freeholder Director Joseph Derella also voted to approve the resolution.

"Unfortunately it's being twisted and turned due to the national debate," Derella said. "It's not a decision we're making. It's our thought and support that the state needs to take a position on this."

Other states have already passed legislation similar to the one proposed in New Jersey and various government bodies — from city councils to county freeholders — have offered support to the legislation.

In agreement with Sauro and Fiocchi is incumbent Democratic Assemblyman Bob Andrzejczak, who they were running against in November. The other Democratic candidate is Bruce Land, a retired corrections officer and Vietnam veteran.

"I think it's absurd that us as American citizens have to provide six points of proof to get a license and undocumented citizens don't need to do that," Andrzejczak said about the proposed legislation.

Sauro and Fiocchi intend to use the petition to show that they are not alone in their displeasure with the Cumberland County resolution approved last month.

"The way I see it, and the comments made to me, it's not the majority of Cumberland County for this," Sauro said. "Put that on a referendum and see what happens. I dare them to put that on the ballot and see what happens."

The petition can be found at www.RepealTheResolution.com.

http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.s...rs_not_to.html