Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Plan linking Hurricane Sandy funds to DREAM Act triggers clash

Plan linking Hurricane Sandy funds to DREAM Act triggers clash between Staten Island politicians

By Tom Wrobleski/Staten Island Advance Staten Island Advance
    on February 01, 2013 at 5:30 AM, updated February 01, 2013 at 5:32 AM

This picture was taken in October at an election forum, but it may as well have been taken Thursday, because lawmakers Nicole Malliotakis and Matthew Titone are not seeing eye-to-eye these days. In a strongly worded public condemnation rarely seen in borough politics, Democratic Assemblyman Titone lit into Ms. Malliotakis for saying Albany Democrats should be more focused on helping storm victims than providing taxpayer-funded tuition aid to the college-age children brought to this country illegally by their undocumented parents. Staten Island Advance

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The furor over GOP Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis' linkage of DREAM Act legislation and Hurricane Sandy victims has sparked an open battle with one of her Staten Island colleagues.

In a strongly worded public condemnation rarely seen in borough politics, Democratic Assemblyman Matthew Titone lit into Ms. Malliotakis for saying Albany Democrats should be more focused on helping storm victims than providing taxpayer-funded tuition aid to the college-age children brought to this country illegally by their undocumented parents.

"When Nicole Malliotakis publicly bashes Democratic Assembly members, I have no choice but to respond and take it personally," said Titone (D-North Shore).

Ms. Malliotakis (R-East Shore/Brooklyn) caught flak on Wednesday from borough Democratic chairman John Gulino and members of the Assembly/Senate Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force.

She had said it was wrong for Assembly Democrats to introduce DREAM Act legislation, including the tuition provision, while thousands of storm victims were still trying to rebuild their lives.

But Titone said that Assembly Democrats "can multi-task," and are working on Sandy relief, the budget, the DREAM Act and other measures.

"Just because we don't focus exclusively on photo opportunities doesn't mean that we are not working extremely hard," he said.

Said Titone, "I don't know if she's being extraordinarily arrogant or naive to think that I and my colleagues are not working extraordinarily hard to create a package of legislation to provide real relief for Sandy victims."

Ms. Malliotakis had also invited Gulino to walk her devastated district with her because "I haven't seen him out there."

"To think that I do not have colleagues who were affected by Sandy, or that my chairman has turned a blind eye to Staten Islanders is misguided," said Titone, chair of the Assembly Office of State-Federal Relations, which among other issues will focus on federal Sandy funding.

He added that Gulino had been to the district, including during President Barack Obama's historic November visit.

He added that it was "offensive" for Ms. Malliotakis to oppose the DREAM Act when her district contains immigrants both documented and undocumented.

Republicans, Democrats and Conservatives all hold elective office on the Island, and must work together across party lines on numerous issues because they are generally outnumbered by legislative delegations from the other boroughs.

With that ever-present dynamic, it is rare for officials to launch public broadsides at each other.

Ms. Malliotakis has long opposed the DREAM Act, saying that the state's limited resources in the form of tuition aid should not go to illegal immigrants.

Ms. Malliotakis, the daughter of immigrant parents, did not look to fire back at Titone on Thursday.

"I maintain my opposition to this legislation," she said. "It is misplaced, especially during a time when so many American families and legal immigrants are struggling."

She declined to comment further.

Assemblyman Michael Cusick (D-Mid-Island) said he likely would not support the DREAM Act, but said, "I don't see any correlation between this legislation and the Sandy relief effort."

He said Sandy relief "has been a number-one legislative priority of mine and my Democratic colleagues. One has nothing to do with the other."

As for the open spat between Titone and Ms. Malliotakis, Cusick, the dean of the Albany delegation said, "Every family has their squabbles. Not everybody is going to agree on issues. Sometimes it gets heated."

Other borough lawmakers steered clear of the Malliotakis/Titone dust-up.

"I think they should both take a chill pill," said state Sen. Diane Savino (D-North Shore/Brooklyn), who has famously formed a bi-partisan friendship with Ms. Malliotakis.

Assemblyman Joe Borelli (R-South Shore) said he opposes the DREAM Act, "but I try to split politics from personalities."

State Sen. Andrew Lanza (R-Staten Island) could not be reached for comment.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/plan_linking_hurricane_sandy_funds_to_dream_act_tr iggers_clash_between_staten_island_politicians.htm l
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I maintain my opposition to this legislation," she said. "It is misplaced, especially during a time when so many American families and legal immigrants are struggling."
    I like this lady already!