Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

President unsure of timetable for immigration bill

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spe ... 91037.html

Sept. 16, 2006, 10:04AM
    President unsure of timetable for immigration bill
    However, Bush calls for action in Congress 'as soon as possible'

By BENNETT ROTH
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - President Bush restated his support for broad immigration reforms but conceded Friday that he did not know when Congress could reach agreement on an issue that has badly split Republicans.

Lawmakers are expected to leave work at the end of the month to campaign in the upcoming congressional elections without taking action on the comprehensive legislation that the president has advocated.

The president was noncommittal when asked at a Rose Garden news conference if lawmakers should revisit immigration in a lame-duck session after the November election or wait until the new Congress convenes next year.

"I don't know the timetable. My answer is as soon as possible," said Bush.

In May Bush gave a nationally televised address in which he urged Congress to pass legislation that included a temporary guest-worker program for illegal immigrants as well as beefed-up security on the border.

But talks have broken down between the Senate, which passed a measure similar to what the president wants, and the House, which approved a strict enforcement bill without the guest-worker plan and an "earned" citizenship program for immigrants.

Jim Manley, spokesman for Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada, said immigration reform now appears to be an "afterthought" for the president. At his news conference, Bush expressed far more urgency about the need for Congress to act soon on rules for military tribunals for terrorist detainees.

"He is a day late and a dollar short" on immigration, Manley said.

The president said Friday that though enforcement measures are needed, the government must come up with a temporary worker program to deal with immigrants already in the country.

"In the long run to secure this border, we've got to have a rational work plan," he said. "And when Congress gets down to a comprehensive bill, I will remind them, it's virtually impossible to try and find 11 million folks who've been working hard, in some cases raising families, and kick them out. It's just not going to work."

Bush said he had fielded questions about border enforcement when he met with GOP lawmakers on Capitol Hill this week. "They wanted to know whether or not we were implementing border security measures that they had funded last January. And the answer is: We are," he said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Lyin back-stabbin scumbag Traitor.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I agree Judy!

He does'nt want to deport them. We did it during the Eisenhower Presidency, we can do it again. How many more American's have to die, lose their jobs and their voter integrity because of his lack of political will!!

All victims should sue the government!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It builds a good base for the next generation of Bush politicians.

MW
    Geez, how many times does it have to be said! Take everything away from them, including the opportunity to acquire jobs illegally and more than half the 12 million (actually, 30 million, but who's counting) will self-deport.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Amen, Amen, Amen...everyone!

WE Get It!!

When or when will our Congress "get it"?

The president said Friday that though enforcement measures are needed, the government must come up with a temporary worker program to deal with immigrants already in the country.
    If he really wants a "temporary" guest worker program, then the illegal immigrants would eventually have to leave anyway.

he's lieing though when he says he wants a "temporary" guest worker program. There would be nothing temporary about it.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Bush's
    "And when Congress gets down to a comprehensive bill, I will remind them, it's virtually impossible to try and find 11 million folks who've been working hard, in some cases raising families, and kick them out. It's just not going to work."
    How do you guys feel when you hear President Bush say these things ?

I could read 25 stupid articles full of lies by the open borders people and it will not make me feel anywhere near as angry as hearing these words come out of our president.

I believe the words are mostly meant to discourage us. Yea, it sure does, but it's not working if it's meant to get us to stop fighting.

I don't like it to hear the president of our country almost "compliment" law-breakers. I don't like it. I do not like it at all.

What a terrible message he sends to everyone....and so boldly. This really, seriously ruins my day. I am tired of hearing him talk so nicely about people who break the laws.

Man, this guy is nice to criminals and treats American citizens like they're nobody. Our voice doesn't count, our beliefs don't count. But he can sure send us off to war when he wants to.

Talk "highly" about people who break our laws. Talk "nicely" about people who do much harm to the American people.

It's days like this that I could march right out into the streets with a bunch of other Americans and march from Florida to Washington D.C....with a bunch of tomatoes in my backpack.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hear Ye Hear Ye...it's time to get our backpacks strapped on fill them up with tomatoes, head to DC that run that SOB out of town ourselves.

GREAT POST LEGALUSCITIZEN!!

How dare he "compliment' lawbreakers ruining our nation and who killed 28,000 of our fellow citizens in just the past 3 years. Only God and Law Enforcement knows how many more they killed before that.