Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Protesters denounce illegal immigration ordinance

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/15369962.htm

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... &catId=104

Posted on Sat, Aug. 26, 2006

Protesters denounce illegal immigration ordinance

ANABELLE GARAY
    Associated Press

Domingo Garcia speaks to demonstrators in front of city hall in Farmers Branch, Texas, Saturday, Aug. 26, 2006. The more than 300 people protested a proposal by City Councilman Tim O'Hare that would prohibit landlords from leasing to illegal immigrants, penalize businesses that employ undocumented workers and make English the city's official language. Opponents say the measure is racist because it singles out Latinos and would lead to businesses discriminating against people they believe are foreign.

FARMERS BRANCH, Texas - Holding signs that read "America was formed by immigrants" and draped in American flags, more than 300 protesters Saturday denounced a city proposal that would prohibit landlords from leasing to illegal immigrants.

The proposal by City Councilman Tim O'Hare would also make it tougher for illegal immigrants to work in the Dallas suburb, penalize businesses that employ undocumented workers and make English the city's official language.

Protesters scolded the proposal as a racist initiative that would single out Latinos, who make up about 37 percent of the city's population, according to U.S. Census Bureau figures from 2000.

"If we're of a certain color, they're going to point their finger at us," said Jose Gomez, a 42-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen.

Opponents rallied outside City Hall as about two dozen counter-protesters staged their own demonstration nearby. One counter-protester was led away by police after getting in a verbal confrontation with an opponent of the proposal.

Families with children and college students rallied in temperatures topping 100 degrees, chanting for O'Hare to resign while marching in front of City Hall. Leaders also urged attendees to become citizens and register to vote.

O'Hare, who was not seen at the rally, and a city spokesman did not immediately return calls to The Associated Press.

Counter-protesters carried signs reading "I place all persons in the USA illegally under citizen's arrest" and "Como se Dice illegal en Espanol?", which translates to, "How do you say illegal in Spanish?"

Supporters of the O'Hare proposal said the measure would fix problems with health care, education and crime in the city.

"They're taking our jobs, our homes," said Debbie Rawlins, 48, of Farmers Branch. "There's unemployment partly because of the Hispanics. The lady that took my job is Hispanic and she's bilingual."

City Council members heard from constituents earlier this week on whether Farmers Branch should approve the measures, but no formal decision was made.

The provisions echo those passed last month in Hazleton, Pa., where council members voted to fine landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and deny business permits to companies that employ them. The American Civil Liberties Union and other activist groups have filed a lawsuit against the ordinance.

Protesters said bringing the same proposal to Farmers Branch would lead to erosion of basic civil rights. Magaret Donnelly, a Farmers Branch immigration attorney, said she notified the city that she plans to sue if the proposal is adopted.

"Do you know any U.S. citizens who carry an ID. card showing they are U.S. citizen?" Donnelly said. "Do they go around carrying a birth certificate? What about naturalized U.S. citizens, do they go around carrying a passport?"

The protest was organized by many of the same community leaders who arranged the Mega Marcha in downtown Dallas in April. Tens of thousands crammed into the streets to urge federal lawmakers to pass immigration reform that would legalize an estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants.

---_

On the Net:

Farmers Branch http://www.farmersbranch.info/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Do you know any U.S. citizens who carry an ID. card showing they are U.S. citizen?" Donnelly said. "Do they go around carrying a birth certificate? What about naturalized U.S. citizens, do they go around carrying a passport?"
    I may not carry each item with me.....but I had to show them to get the legal documentation I have. And I am required ALOT of times to produce it as proof again and again and I am a citizen......never not been a citizen.

You better bet I have to show my drivers license. To get that I had to show birth certificate and SS card and proof of residence. I have to show all that stuff even if I just move from one state to the next. Have to show it all the time.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Have to show my parents death certificate all the time too. Can't be a copy....has to have state seal. They act as if we never have to prove anything. I can't just say ya I am who I am, I have a drivers license, SS card etc. They don't just take my "word" for anything. Prove it. Signed sealed, notarized and promise of first born.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, we do have to show various forms of ID.

When we do - it is our ID - not one stolen from someone else.

Now I do agree with what these cities are trying to do - just think there are a lot of ways we could make our country uncomfortable for these people.

You know I wonder why these cities don't try to solve this problem by enforcing driving laws.

If I were stopped with a fake DL, I would be in trouble.

If I get stopped with no insurance, I would be in trouble.

If my car didn't have the correct license plate, I would be in trouble.

If my car didn't have an inspection sticker, I would be in trouble.

If my car was smoking excessively, I could be in trouble.

So why not start with these. These are laws on the books, laws that can be enforced, laws that are enforced for everyone - so no profiling. It would have nothing to do with being illegal - just breaking the law.

If they wrote enough tickets, followed up on them, and impounded enough vehicles, it would not be a place they wanted to live.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Added a link to a video of the protest above.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So why not start with these. These are laws on the books, laws that can be enforced, laws that are enforced for everyone - so no profiling. It would have nothing to do with being illegal - just breaking the law.
    AHHH....but that's where they start screaming since it is mostly them breaking the law. So it appears as if we're profiling since there aren't equal number of arrests of everybody else. Not saying others aren't breaking the law but not in the vast numbers they are. I don't know why they can't see that. Well....they can.....it's just easier to play the race card than fix a problem.

AHHH....but that's where they start screaming since it is mostly them breaking the law. So it appears as if we're profiling since there aren't equal number of arrests of everybody else.
    Well, they could scream all they want if the laws were just being enforced straight across the board, regardless. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I do think what these cities are doing is great - I applaud them but I fear right now it is just symbolic. All these cases are probably going to end up in court for years and by that time, it won't matter. It is emboldening others, it is bringing things to light and it is great - don't get me wrong.

If we simply enforce our laws, period, regarding DL, insurance, inspections, etc., then screaming is all they can do.

Texas is broke, if any money gets taken in from these enforcements, we need all we can get.